just wondering about seaoned builders thoughts on building

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
nctrucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

just wondering about seaoned builders thoughts on building

Post by nctrucker » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:00 am

I was thinking about how I enjoy putting a rod together. I build for myself and a very few friends. I've been building since the mid 70's. I've probably not built 50 rods total. I relish the thought of being able to fulfil a need for a particular technique/fish. case in point: I built a friend on the nc coast a redfish rod. the blank I chose was recommended for redfish. it fit the bill perfectly according to him. built it with an up to date spacing system for guides.
i'm far from technically advanced in my building but simply using good info helps make fine quality rods. anybody decide they didn't want to keep making rods? why? time constraints keeps me from doing a lot of building but rods can be knocked out in a reasonable time frame.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: just wondering about seaoned builders thoughts on buildi

Post by ogrich31 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:37 am

Time is a factor for me as well as it usually takes me quite a bit of time to build a rod. It's not a quick task as there are measurements to be made, orders to be placed, blueprints to be drawn, then the building itself takes me around three days (first day: handle; second day: putting the handle on the blank; third day: components, static testing, casting, moving of guides, then the finish when I'm satisfied), and it takes more than three days if there are multiple coats of finish. Trying to do this while working a full time job means you have to give up fishing time, which is why I normally build rods in the winter time.

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:20 pm

i will say that rod manufacturers have come a long way making lighter and better factory rods at a good price. Prices that dont make rod building cost effective (if you are buying components at retail)

With that said, i still plan to roll my own, but the gap between factory and custom has definitely narrowed over the last 10 years

nctrucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nctrucker » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:34 am

jimmyb, I absolutely agree with you on the advance of fishing rods. I do remember when the lew's speed stick was top of the line. fiberglass blanks, beefy handles, lots of weight.
now we have rods weighing less than the handles of those older rods. sensitivity has went through the roof. actions are dialed in by those crazy guys in the white coats in their secret labs. dropshot rods to topwater to spinnerbaits, on and on. very good pricing ranges. gotta love it.