Anybody know of any future additions to Point Blank?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Anybody know of any future additions to Point Blank?

Post by toddmc » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:38 am

The Point Blank line-up is fairly limited. I'm hoping for a 7' H for multipurpose bass fishing. Does anybody have any info. on how Point Blank is doing and if they will be adding to their line-up? Thanks.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Anybody know of any future additions to Point Blank?

Post by Mattman » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:11 am

I'm not aware of anything specific. But, they continue to work to expand the line.

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Angler JO » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:14 pm

POINT Blank is doing fine. We have a lot of competition at the top end but "the few" at the top are quickly learning that POINT Blank is truly a different animal with a lot going for it. We have just approved an 8ft model for production that we feel will make a good "big crank" blank although I can't wait to build one for popping corks here on the gulf coast. It measures 505gr in power with a 68-degree AA and a more moderate bend than most of the other models (we used a 14-inch handle for a blank this long so its "working length" was 8ft minus 14 inches). Still fast, but bends a whisker deeper than other PB's under load. Estimating it will be available in 60-90 days.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:33 am

Angler JO wrote:POINT Blank is doing fine. We have a lot of competition at the top end but "the few" at the top are quickly learning that POINT Blank is truly a different animal with a lot going for it. We have just approved an 8ft model for production that we feel will make a good "big crank" blank although I can't wait to build one for popping corks here on the gulf coast. It measures 505gr in power with a 68-degree AA and a more moderate bend than most of the other models (we used a 14-inch handle for a blank this long so its "working length" was 8ft minus 14 inches). Still fast, but bends a whisker deeper than other PB's under load. Estimating it will be available in 60-90 days.
Thanks for the reply. I was selfishly hoping for a big expansion of models. The more I fish my 701MHF, the more I want another PB blank, only a full power heavier. I think I'm going to go with the Phenix K2 TX-715H-C. Please let me know if anybody has any feedback on this blank.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:40 am

Hey Todd,

Not quite the blank you're looking at, but still a reference point. My K2 714 is definitely starting to work at it's top lure weight rating (3/4). Don't know where the 715 ratings fall relative to your intended usage, but that might be something to keep in mind.

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Angler JO » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:33 pm

Thanks toddmc. The PB731 trimmed from the butt to 7 ft would put you about a full power (100 grams) heavier I'm guessing. Around 550.

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Angler JO » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:34 pm

PB731HXF, sorry.

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:30 am

toddmc wrote:
Angler JO wrote:POINT Blank is doing fine. We have a lot of competition at the top end but "the few" at the top are quickly learning that POINT Blank is truly a different animal with a lot going for it. We have just approved an 8ft model for production that we feel will make a good "big crank" blank although I can't wait to build one for popping corks here on the gulf coast. It measures 505gr in power with a 68-degree AA and a more moderate bend than most of the other models (we used a 14-inch handle for a blank this long so its "working length" was 8ft minus 14 inches). Still fast, but bends a whisker deeper than other PB's under load. Estimating it will be available in 60-90 days.
Thanks for the reply. I was selfishly hoping for a big expansion of models. The more I fish my 701MHF, the more I want another PB blank, only a full power heavier. I think I'm going to go with the Phenix K2 TX-715H-C. Please let me know if anybody has any feedback on this blank.
I have the 715 k2. You can easily toss 3/4oz jigs all day on it. Very sensitive stick. The blank weighed 2.2oz when we measured a while back.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:03 am

The Phenix 715H K2 has 668 grams of power when I average the two blanks in my database. Very similar power to a Loomis MB844 GLX. FWIW

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:38 pm

Mattman wrote:The Phenix 715H K2 has 668 grams of power when I average the two blanks in my database. Very similar power to a Loomis MB844 GLX. FWIW
This is exactly what I wanted. Thanks. I'll order one tomorrow. I don't think the NFC 709 HM is fast enough for my needs.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Mattman » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:20 pm

toddmc wrote:I don't think the NFC 709 HM is fast enough for my needs.
715H - 63° and 668 grams

709 HM - 57° and 650 grams