Turning split grip into full grip

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Cisco
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Turning split grip into full grip

Post by Cisco » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:27 pm

Greetings everyone.

I am looking to make a full grip out of a split grip. My though is to fill the gap with some sort of tape and then apply shrink tube over the entire thing in order to make a smooth rear grip.

Has anyone done this? What would the experts suggest?

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Turning split grip into full grip

Post by Mattman » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:54 pm

Shrink tube is probably the best thing for the final covering over everything.

I think tape is probably quite heavy compared to some other "fillers" that you could use. I'd suggest buying an EVA grip. Cut it to length, ream the ID to fit the blank, slit one face, open it up and pop it on the blank. You'll probably need to do some shaving of the material to get the OD's to match.

A product like Syncork would work well. Its an expanded polystyrene product that comes like cork rings do.

For that matter, if I had a tube the OD of the grip, I'd seriously consider putting the rod inside the tube and filling the split grip with an expandable foam. Perfect marriage to the cork. Then cover with shrink tube.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Turning split grip into full grip

Post by earthworm77 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:07 am

I'm not rod builder like Matt......could you cut the cork rings in half provided you have the right inside diameter, fit them on and then just seal them when complete?

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

IlliniDawg01

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:35 am

There are lots of different ways to do it. Filling with cheap eva foam and covering with a shrink sleeve is certainly the easiest and most reversible.

I have an Omen that has a blank I love. I don't care for the guides and the split grip is a touch short and was beat up. I stripped of the guides and grips and accent rings. I bought a CFX Full Carbon Fiber grip and will be putting it on from the back.

http://www.mudhole.com/CFX-Composite-Carbon-Fiber-Grips

You just have to carefully ream it out so it will slide on the back then just coat the blank with some epoxy and slide it on and wipe away the excess. It might add a 1/4 oz to the total weight of the rod, but it is doing it in the right spot for a bottom contact setup.

DaveJ