Best way to strip guides on a rod?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Steez123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Best way to strip guides on a rod?

Post by Steez123 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:29 pm

I have a Megabass rod that has a few cracks in the wraps. Was wondering if there are any other way to strip the guides off safely without damaging the blank. I have done it in the past with cheaper rods - using a razor blade, but sometimes nick the blank. Just curious if any of you have a better way??

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Best way to strip guides on a rod?

Post by MardukFIN » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:14 pm

Steez123 wrote:I have a Megabass rod that has a few cracks in the wraps. Was wondering if there are any other way to strip the guides off safely without damaging the blank. I have done it in the past with cheaper rods - using a razor blade, but sometimes nick the blank. Just curious if any of you have a better way??
Try to cut near guide leg or even top of it. Then you wont damage blank. Just to get thread revealed. Then rip it of pulling just thread.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:05 pm

Heat is your friend.

I warm the wrap with an alcohol torch. A heat gun or hair dryer would help as well. Then with my X-Acto knife I slice open the wrap on the top of the guide foot cutting from the tip to the leg. That big section can just get peeled off. Then I unwind the remainder of the wrap.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:50 pm

Mattman wrote:Heat is your friend.

I warm the wrap with an alcohol torch. A heat gun or hair dryer would help as well. Then with my X-Acto knife I slice open the wrap on the top of the guide foot cutting from the tip to the leg. That big section can just get peeled off. Then I unwind the remainder of the wrap.
Spot on +1

Steez123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steez123 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:26 am

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll have to try a little heat then. Never had this issue in the past, but with this Megabass rod, the epoxy is just so damn hardened - it won't peel...

spoonplugger1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spoonplugger1 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:49 pm

Now days many factory rods are finished with other things besides epoxy, UV curing finishes being one of them. They are tougher than epoxy, closer to the toughness of Permagloss, but they are much less flexible.

drift123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by drift123 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:12 pm

spoonplugger1 wrote:Now days many factory rods are finished with other things besides epoxy, UV curing finishes being one of them. They are tougher than epoxy, closer to the toughness of Permagloss, but they are much less flexible.
Good point on factory built rods. You just don't know what you'll get anymore. I noticed this on my last attempt to replace some guides