Point Blank PB731MHXF

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Point Blank PB731MHXF

Post by 5bites » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:50 pm

Are the k style fly guides heavier than the L guides?

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Angler JO » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:25 am

A size 10L Fly guide (stainless ALCONITE) weighs .021oz, the same KT weighs .024 oz.

Sorry about the big size. Happen to have the 10"s on my desk at the moment. Seems the difference in smaller sizes will be pretty negligible.
Angler's Resource

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:44 am

In a casting build what is the advantage of the k’s? I honestly prefer the looks and ability to “lock” wrap the L. I didn’t know if there was some advantage I was missing.

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Angler JO » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:49 pm

You can "lock" the KT runner just like an L. The KT (in fact all K-Series guides) are tangle free. Not a big deal to some but it can come in handy in a brisk crosswind when classic wind knots form during a cast. If you've ever made a cast and had your line snap and watched you lure disappear into the stratosphere - that's a wind knot and it doesn't happen with K-Series guides. The double frame legs of the KT are a little stronger than the L for only a grain or two of added weight as well. The K-series is the single largest family of components in Fuji's history so the real advantage may be that the KT's match with any other K-Series guides you choose. Casting or spinning, New Guide Concept, KR Concept - every layout defaults back to KT runners so having a few extra laying around won't become "dead inventory" if you build other K-Series rods.
Angler's Resource