Rod Wrap Screwed Up?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Rod Wrap Screwed Up?

Post by Aquaftm45 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:22 pm

So taking a good look at a picture I took of a new rod, then ultimatly the rod itself, something looks bizzare to me. Notice in the pics how the rod wraps do not line up. Initially I am thinking are these even wrapped or are they laid over (??_ and whoever did it layed it over crooked. So I start looking up the rod and they are all exactly the same, the wraps don't end in a full circle.

It's a Daiwa Heartland Rod and Reel Edition

Wondering if this is some sort of special wrap or what the heck is going on...?
rsz_heart_spec.jpg
rsz_heart_spec.jpg (126.03 KiB) Viewed 4116 times

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Rod Wrap Screwed Up?

Post by ShimanoFan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:42 pm

It does not look like a screw up to me. When turning a rod and wrapping the thread on the rod someone simply inserted some short accent pieces in between the thread wraps so there is no way the ends would ever touch unless it were to lay over top of the thread wrap and I doubt you would want a slight bump there, but it would be so small it could hidden in the epoxy depending on how thick or thin it is applied.

Actually, to me, that is nice artwork. Adds a nice little accent to the wraps.

I wouldn't let it bother ya. Looks nice to me.

ADDED: I just showed this to another one of our shop's custom rod builders and they said the person who did this rod could have made it appear that the ends meet if the accent pieces were a tad shorter where it would meet almost end to end might have a better look to it. But meeting end to end again means the accent piece would have to go over the thread and that is not what I see here. It is all laid side by side with what seems to be an intentional geometry to it since the tips are all carefully aligned.

Takes some skill to do this type of thing because as you wrap those individual accent pieces they could pop out of the wrap as they are doing it. And with the ever changing diameter of the rod blank, to get the alignment and geometry as accurate as this is, each accent piece has to be a specific length so the ends all meet up in alignment like this one is.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:28 pm

Yeah, what you're seeing is pretty normal.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:54 am

I give you $150 for it

I have a couple Japanese rods that have that style of wrap. They will typically be on the underside and not seen while fishing. The Heartland is a dream rod for me. Enjoy!

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Angler JO » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:21 am

The "dirty" side...
The cleanness of the dirty side is the true measure of a builder...
Angler's Resource