New flip blank from point blank

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
mobass11652
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

New flip blank from point blank

Post by mobass11652 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:23 pm

Anyone gonna pull the trigger on one of these? By looking at the specs it looks almost to be the same as an hm mb709 from Northfork extended 6”. I currently have Northfork hm flip766,765 and 764. Should be interesting to see what these are like. Yes I do have a few of the hm mb709’s out there as well as a couple for me too.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New flip blank from point blank

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:05 pm

Any other new blanks? I reckon I should take a look.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:06 pm

mobass11652 wrote:Anyone gonna pull the trigger on one of these? By looking at the specs it looks almost to be the same as an hm mb709 from Northfork extended 6”. I currently have Northfork hm flip766,765 and 764. Should be interesting to see what these are like. Yes I do have a few of the hm mb709’s out there as well as a couple for me too.

How do you like the NFC HM 766 Flip? Built one up and cant use it until spring. Looking to use it as a lighter powered punch/flip rod.

I also built a Xray 7109 too for more traditional punching.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

mobass11652
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mobass11652 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:29 pm

I absolutely love it. It’s the only flip rod that rides every tourney. I can say I have finally found a replacement for my shikari 764’s
Last edited by mobass11652 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:32 pm

mobass11652 wrote:I absolutely love it. It’s the only flip rod that rides every tourney. I can say I have finally found a replacement for my shimano 764’s.
Seems to have quite a bit of flex to it. How hard have you used the rod? Kinda feel soft yet powerful at the same time.

mobass11652
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mobass11652 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:43 am

I have beat the snot out of it. Especially when I am fishing deep cedar trees w brush hogs and jigs. It does have “flex” to it. That is the mod action. I have pulled 6’s out of cedars in15’ of water with no issue what so ever. I have a few guys using the 765 as 10” worm rods and they love them. The one thing I continually hear is how they don’t loose fish on them.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:37 am

mobass11652 wrote:The one thing I continually hear is how they don’t loose fish on them.
This is also a quality of all of the Point Blank rods. They load up so smooth. There is no scrim that makes the rod feel brittle, or that also makes the blank want to unload too quickly. I have lost very few fish on all of the models from 6'9"ML to 7'6"H.

mobass11652
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mobass11652 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:06 am

Todd they do load smoothly but this year alone before I gave it away, my mh731 has lost over 35lbs worth of fish costing me 2 wins. What I found was for me the blank recovered much quicker than what I was wanting. I will say it does have a brunch of power. While swimming a jig this spring I was able to knock fish over 3’ of buck brush with the hookset. My problem came when they would jump the blank would recover so quickly it would knock slack in the line and the fish were gone. I went out the next day and used my Eternity ETEC72mh-as and never lost a fish. I tried the point blank again and dumped 3 in a row. If the fish stayed down I got em in the boat but almost every fish that jumped was gone on the PB.

I do like how well they balance and feel. I have others that I feel best it in sensitivity IMO. I have decided to try them one last time. Maybe this one might sway me back their way?

stevenhatchy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by stevenhatchy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:11 pm

mobass11652 wrote:Todd they do load smoothly but this year alone before I gave it away, my mh731 has lost over 35lbs worth of fish costing me 2 wins. What I found was for me the blank recovered much quicker than what I was wanting. I will say it does have a brunch of power. While swimming a jig this spring I was able to knock fish over 3’ of buck brush with the hookset. My problem came when they would jump the blank would recover so quickly it would knock slack in the line and the fish were gone. I went out the next day and used my Eternity ETEC72mh-as and never lost a fish. I tried the point blank again and dumped 3 in a row. If the fish stayed down I got em in the boat but almost every fish that jumped was gone on the PB.

I do like how well they balance and feel. I have others that I feel best it in sensitivity IMO. I have decided to try them one last time. Maybe this one might sway me back their way?

Which ones do you like better for sensitivity?

mobass11652
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mobass11652 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:21 pm

I am pretty fond of the HM but especially the new X-ray from Northfork but I think they lag behind the K2’s.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:18 pm

mobass11652 wrote:Todd they do load smoothly but this year alone before I gave it away, my mh731 has lost over 35lbs worth of fish costing me 2 wins. What I found was for me the blank recovered much quicker than what I was wanting. I will say it does have a brunch of power. While swimming a jig this spring I was able to knock fish over 3’ of buck brush with the hookset. My problem came when they would jump the blank would recover so quickly it would knock slack in the line and the fish were gone. I went out the next day and used my Eternity ETEC72mh-as and never lost a fish. I tried the point blank again and dumped 3 in a row. If the fish stayed down I got em in the boat but almost every fish that jumped was gone on the PB.

That sucks. The swimjig is one of those baits where you really have to be using the right hook, line, and rod that all work together, or risk losing lots of fish. The Dirty Jigs standard swimjig with 16-20lb. fluoro and a Phenix K2 heavy powered 7"1" (715)blank works well for me. That blank is closer to moderate than fast. I think that helps.
Last edited by toddmc on Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mobass11652
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mobass11652 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:02 pm

That is extremely close to my setup. The eternity is listed as fast in reality it is much closer to a mod fast. I have never lost a fish on that setup, I use tatsu for line with this one. I use the dirty jigs as well. I really like them , the others I use are the hack attacks.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:22 pm

Some serious blank talk here

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:01 pm

I really enjoy my ETEC72mh. So far its the only blank I've built twice I believe. That said, I love my one pointblank adn will build more in the future. This new PB is very intriguing, I like slower fast action rods, and this seems like it would be perfect.

Still have 2 Xrays waiting to be finished. Dang kid make it tough to find the time :-)

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:12 pm

sarcazmo wrote:

I really enjoy my ETEC72mh. So far its the only blank I've built twice I believe. That said, I love my one pointblank adn will build more in the future. This new PB is very intriguing, I like slower fast action rods, and this seems like it would be perfect.

Still have 2 Xrays waiting to be finished. Dang kid make it tough to find the time :-)
Which Xrays?