hook hanger

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

hook hanger

Post by johns » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:11 am

Not to sure this is the correct place to post this... I have a tatula 7'7" MR that has the open hook hanger on the left side. For some reason the line keeps on catching on it . What is the best way to take it off without damaging the rod? thanks for any help. john

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: hook hanger

Post by mark poulson » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:49 am

johns wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:11 am
Not to sure this is the correct place to post this... I have a tatula 7'7" MR that has the open hook hanger on the left side. For some reason the line keeps on catching on it . What is the best way to take it off without damaging the rod? thanks for any help. john
If a hook hanger is in the "wrong" place for me, I bend it as tight to the rod as I can without damaging the rod, and then tape over it with black electrical tape.
For me, that is way easier than trying to remove it.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:53 pm

Take to the very edge of the metal where its epoxied to the rod with a Dremel metal cutting wheel - do it very slowly and it'll cut right off flush...

If you want you can epoxy over the cut to blend it in.

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:36 pm

I'd heat the epoxy that's over the thread wraps holding the hook keeper on so it softens up then take a razor blade and scrape ( blade almost parallel with blank) along the feet of the hook keeper. same as removing a guide for me. keeper should break free rather easy then just pick or unwind thread and epoxy off the blank.