The break was relatively clean, which was to my advantage as I wouldn't lose any length. Had it been crushed and flattened I would have had to make some severe cuts.
Using digital calipers I measured the I.D. of the rod, which was 1.75 mm, that's pretty small. My next dilemma was what to use for a repair medium ? I had found round fiberglass rods online, but wasn't too keen on using them. I then stumbled on 2 mm diameter carbon fiber rods on Amazon. I got a 3 pack of 500 mm (just under 20") rods for under $3.00. After shipping I was still well under $10.00 The carbon fiber weighs virtually nothing but is flexible and strong.
The next step was to make a repair section out of the carbon fiber rod. I cut a 3" section of rod from one of the 3 lengths I got and mounted it into my rotary tool, which I then secured in a vise. I had effectively made a lathe. I then turned on the rotary tool and used a fine hobby file to remove rod material in order to reduce it from it's original 2 mm O.D. down to approximately the 1.75 mm I.D. of the broken rod. I also had to factor in the ever so slight taper of the rod blank. I accomplished that by applying more pressure on the free end of the rod with the file and using less pressure as I worked the file towards the tool. It took me about 4 attempts to dial in the correct tool speed and file pressure until I had a repair section I was satisfied with. I settled on a 2.5" repair section which would be 1.25" of support on either side of the break.
When I was satisfied with the dry fit I marked the halfway point of the repair section with tape so I knew when to stop inserting it. I then used super glue to secure the repair section into one half of the broken rod section.
After a final dry fit, it was time to complete the repair. I had to work quickly to align the guides as the the super glue sets very fast. If you go back to the very first picture and look closely you'll notice the break was not perfectly symmetrical which was a good thing as it left me irregular surfaces much like two puzzle pieces to aid me in getting the sections properly aligned. After joining the two sections back together and cleaning the excess glue that had oozed from the repair area, I applied a thin coat of clear Devcon 2 Ton epoxy.
I completed the repair today. The rod section flexes nicely and I'm happy with the way it turned out. Of course I need to actually fish it to see if I was truly successful, but it looks promising so far. I will definitely follow up with an update good or bad. Wish me luck
I have stopped using it on my re-paints as well. It made a decent clear coating but there are better ones for that application.
BTW, Ghost peppers+ will be in the mail when I get back from NC.
The break occurred about a half an inch behind the repair, the repair section I had installed had broken cleanly in two. My best guess is the carbon fiber rod, even though somewhat flexible, did not have the same range of flexibility of the fishing rod itself and was the weak spot.
Oh well, lesson learned. Reminds me of of a quote by Thomas Edison ... "I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work "
- Elite Angler
- Posts: 731
- Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 11:43 pm
- Location: Gold Coast, Australia
- TT Gear Crew
- Posts: 2788
- Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:26 am
- Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods
I didn't want to rain on your parade, but I saw that coming the first time I read your original post. I've been there and done that before.
Spigot ferrule repairs are difficult to do even with the proper materials. Your tapers need to match perfectly.
Otterods-High performance fishing rods
believe me I've tried with the lami xmg50s which I have a love hate relationship with, love the feel, weight, performance....until they snap ....in fact I've broken 4 of the 5 I've built...only reason the 5th Hasn't broke yet is cause it has never been fished lol
Not until you break a rod do you realize just how thin walled they can be. The miracle of carbon fiber is how well it can distribute the load applied to the rod, but just a small nick and the material now has a potential failure point, again due to localized stress. I think that's how most rods break. Failing at a previously compromised location. You hear this all the time. Anglers saying they weren't doing anything unusual and the rod just broke.