TVSTK Reel Seat

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
MikeK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

TVSTK Reel Seat

Post by MikeK » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:39 am

Any thoughts on the benefits of the Fuji TVSTK spin reel seat? I just finished installing one. I used a carbon fiber insert sleeve so there's no direct contact with the blank. With the hidden thread hood, a carbon fiber cover and a carbon fiber short rear split grip it weighs more than a DPSM with two of the short carbon fiber grips at each end. It is definitely more difficult to get a clean glue up. It is shorter than the DPSM setup and it looks cool so I hope it's comfortable. :D

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: TVSTK Reel Seat

Post by Mattman » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:58 am

I'm not a big fan comfort wise. The Soft Touch DPSM's were my favorite. I've built with a few Soft Touch TVS's and they're an improvement.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:59 am

If you hold the reel/reel seat, it's very comfortable, probably the most comfortable reel seat I've tried for that hand position. It was designed to be up-locking btw.

Unfortunately, I hold the grip above the reel seat so VSS is my choice for a spinning reel seat.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:01 am

ogrich31 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:59 am
If you hold the reel/reel seat, it's very comfortable, probably the most comfortable reel seat I've tried for that hand position. It was designed to be up-locking btw.

Unfortunately, I hold the grip above the reel seat so VSS is my choice for a spinning reel seat.
I like the VSS best, too.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Angler JO » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:21 am

Comfort is subjective of course but as far as glue-up, combine the sleeve and seat, clean and set aside overnight. Then you're back to a single piece reel seat that can be arbored and used just like any other. Seems obvious but we get this question a LOT.
Angler's Resource

MikeK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MikeK » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:01 am

It feels OK with a reel, but I haven't fished it yet. I preferred to have the hood downlocking because of the shape of the CFX grip I would have used for the foregrip in the uplock orientation.

Jim, the CFX insert I used was slightly small so I coated it with wrap finish to fit snug and it is designed to be reamed to fit the blank, so that was some of my glue up issue. I picked up a couple of the Fuji inserts and they are perfect fit as described so I can see assembly being much easier.

Thanks all for the help!

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Angler JO » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:49 am

Perfect Fit is built around size 16 and 17 seats. It fits a lot of stuff besides Fuji.

I have heard comments about the carbon tube inserts not helping sensitivity because of the arbor between the tube and the blank. I won't argue that a windowed seat with a core size gives direct contact that is difficult to beat but using a high-mod carbon insert will ping blank vibrations through the arbor and into the carbon insert - which you are touching. By default, that must be more sensitive than pinging into and through the plastic seat. I'm sure it's a small increment but still better. Combined with a carbon grip it should be second only to cored seats.
Angler's Resource