U-40 pros and cons

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

U-40 pros and cons

Post by poisonokie » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:04 am

What do you think? Does it actually work and if so, are there any drawbacks? What's the best way to apply it?

I feel like sealing cork is one of those things people do just to be safe without really thinking about it, so before I follow suit I'd like to know why.

Thanks!
This is the way.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: U-40 pros and cons

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:58 am

It seems to work as advertised, for me, at least. The cork filler stays put better when it's used. The only gripe I have is that it's not permanent, meaning the cork has to be cleaned and U40 reapplied every so often. If it matters to you, it makes the cork look slightly darker.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:01 am

My rodbuilder always applied it initially on the power wrapper, but I just wipe it on with a lint-free cloth, trying my best to make it an even coat.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

MikeK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MikeK » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:21 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:58 am
The cork filler stays put better when it's used.
Definitely helps with this. Makes the grips a little easier to keep clean but does need to be re-applied over time.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:20 pm

I don't really think their are any cons, unless you don't like how it slightly alters (darkens) the cork. I wouldn't use it on serious top grade cork myself for that reason (plus I like the natural feel), but I don't have to worry about it because I only have Eva and carbon grips in my arsenal.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:04 pm

The instructions specifically say ONE THIN COAT ... anything beyond that will drip and sag, then dry as a cloudy blob. I use an old soft bristled makeup brush donated by my wife, it works well. I do mine once a season, usually during the winter downtime when I'm tearing everything down anyhow.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:00 pm

I'm okay with it darkening the cork if it prolongs the life. How does it alter the feel?

I have eleven rods with cork grips, some long full grips with a foregrip, some short split grips without, some in-between. Would one jar be enough to treat all those?
This is the way.

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by poot04 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:31 pm

Yes, you can probably apply to your rods three times with one bottle.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:25 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:00 pm
I'm okay with it darkening the cork if it prolongs the life. How does it alter the feel?

I have eleven rods with cork grips, some long full grips with a foregrip, some short split grips without, some in-between. Would one jar be enough to treat all those?
1 bottle goes a very long ways. Super grade cork has a soft and slightly velvet like feel to it - very nice. When I used this product on some, that velvet feel kinda went away. Similar to applying a varnish to soft, untreated wood. Could just be my experience, and obviously cork looses that new feel after prolonged use anyways. I just prefer to clean up the cork with a magic eraser from time to time.

tacklejunkie2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tacklejunkie2 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:05 pm

I agree 100% with "Hogsticker2's" comment about the magic eraser. They work really well. I'm not a big fan of the U-40 product. The cork grips that I've held after this product was applied felt slick and slippery. Maybe it's just me.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:37 am

First thing I do when I get a new rod is apply U-40, been doing it for years and all my rods cork look excellent.

I haven't even added any new U-40 to them, at the end of the year I just get a damp towel and wipe them down and they
look perfect again and like others have said, the cork filler stays put.

I love the stuff.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:47 am

tacklejunkie2 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:05 pm

The cork grips that I've held after this product was applied felt slick and slippery. Maybe it's just me.
My opinion...that's a sign of took much Cork Seal being applied.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:30 am

Mattman wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:47 am
tacklejunkie2 wrote:

The cork grips that I've held after this product was applied felt slick and slippery. Maybe it's just me.
Agreed. One thin coat can't be stressed enough. I put U40 on every single new cork handle rod I get every time. I use a small craft brush and am extremely happy with the product and the results. We sell a lot of it at the shop and the biggest complaint we get is that one bottle goes so far that it often gels up after a couple years not being used :lol:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:56 am

bronzefly wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:30 am
Mattman wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:47 am
tacklejunkie2 wrote:

Agreed. One thin coat can't be stressed enough. I put U40 on every single new cork handle rod I get every time. I use a small craft brush and am extremely happy with the product and the results. We sell a lot of it at the shop and the biggest complaint we get is that one bottle goes so far that it often gels up after a couple years not being used :lol:
I transfer mine to a glass jar, it keeps a bit longer in glass. I guess there’s an ingredient in it that evaporates over time, being in glass slows that process down.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:09 am

The best (and actually the only one) advantage that I have found of cork seal is to smooth Kuying Teton SUL and UL grips. Those are extremely rough. Just apply cork seal, let it dry, then sand with 120 paper. Much better! I have applied cork seal to all other my rods, but I haven't found much difference.