Tips For Consistent Wrap Size

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
jlang95
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Tips For Consistent Wrap Size

Post by jlang95 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:28 pm

How's it going guys. What tips do you guys have for making your wraps consistent? I've gotten pretty decent at wrapping. My wraps are tight, smooth and pretty clean looking for a beginner in my opinion. But I struggle with getting consistent size wraps. Any tips or you're guys method per se would be awesome!

Thank you

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Tips For Consistent Wrap Size

Post by Mattman » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:33 pm

I mark all of my wraps with masking tape.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

MikeK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MikeK » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:44 pm

Mattman wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:33 pm
I recommend this in beginner classes.

If your wraps are real short you can count turns and be pretty close. I start most wraps 4 turns from the guide foot.

A couple other tips that I think add to appearance. Make both wraps on a double foot guide the same length. Sometimes the foot length on a running guide might be longer than the last reduction guide (Batson F and LY come to mind), so make the wrap on that reduction guide the same as the running guide wraps.

jlang95
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jlang95 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:22 am

Mattman wrote:
Mattman do you get your guide set (tape/rubberband and then measure where you're wrap will begin and end and then mark it? I guess it would be pretty easy for me to do that since I use rubberband to hold my guides i could mark the start of my wrap with masking tape and then just wrap to my rubberband. I would have to make sure the rubber band is the same place on all the guides though.

jlang95
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jlang95 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:24 am

MikeK wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:44 pm
Mattman wrote:
I recommend this in beginner classes.

If your wraps are real short you can count turns and be pretty close. I start most wraps 4 turns from the guide foot.

A couple other tips that I think add to appearance. Make both wraps on a double foot guide the same length. Sometimes the foot length on a running guide might be longer than the last reduction guide (Batson F and LY come to mind), so make the wrap on that reduction guide the same as the running guide wraps.
I usually have about 3/16" to a 1/4" of wrap before my guide foot. Would you say that's too much?

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:02 pm

I set all my guides in place with guide foot adhesive. Then I measure out my wrap starting points. The end comes naturally when you run out of guide foot. I generally start the wrap that is a distance equal to one-third the guide foot length.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

jlang95
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jlang95 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:21 pm

Mattman wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:02 pm
I set all my guides in place with guide foot adhesive. Then I measure out my wrap starting points. The end comes naturally when you run out of guide foot. I generally start the wrap that is a distance equal to one-third the guide foot length.
Okay I'll give that a try. So it seems like I've been making my wraps a lot bigger than I need. I'll try that out on my next rod. I have an Eternity2 7'2" on the way for a light worm and jig rod! I'm also going to try my hand at some crosswraps and then do some trim wraps for the guide wraps.