ML Blank Suggestion

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
byron_s
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

ML Blank Suggestion

Post by byron_s » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:13 pm

Hi guys,
I am planning on having a local gentlemen build two casting rods for my wife and I, specifically for kokanee jigging. Currently she is using a St. Croix Avid casting 66MLF--great rod but has just a little too much power. I have a custom St Croix SC4 66MLF casting rod built about 10 years ago--seems to be about the perfect power and action but it's an older rod and I would like something a little newer :D

Looked at the Rod Geeks Carbon 4 line and the specs of their 66mlf look nearly identical to my current custom St Croix, just newer. Price seems good too. Would the carbon 4 blanks be any better than a 10 year old St Croix SC4 blank?

Any suggestions on other blanks/blank companies I should look at that might have similar specs, 1/8-3/8oz (maybe up to 1/2), fast action and around the $100-130 range?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: ML Blank Suggestion

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:28 pm

If you want something with a little more power, to comfortably reach that half ounce, my recommendation would be the Phenix Umbx 606L or 700L.
If you can swing another 20 bucks, I can't recommend Point Blank enough. 661lf or 691mlxf. I have the latter, and it's one of my favorite blanks.

MikeK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MikeK » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:26 am

Couple others to consider . . .

Point Blank PB661MLXF
MHX NSJ812

byron_s
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by byron_s » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:28 am

Thank you guys for the suggestions.
I tried an xf rod awile back and found that it got into the power too quick. Using braid to vertical jig a fish with a soft mouth that likes to jump, led to a lot of lost fish. Fast taper seems to be a bit more forgiving.

Guessing zero comments on the Rod Geeks means there are better options around that price.
The Phenix looks a little too powerful (same numbers as the SC Avid).... great price though.
Didn't think of the MHX but the nsj782 looks interesting.
I looked at Point Blank. The 66mlf looks very nice but if I keep adding costs, the wife might give me that look [-(
Hard to justify an expensive rod used for a 14-18" fish.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:56 pm

Don't overlook Rainshadow. The Immortal series is nice. Check out getbitoutdoors.com

cueball
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by cueball » Sat May 02, 2020 3:29 pm

The Rod Geeks blank is the most up to date version of the SC 4SMLF. It is made with the same material and mandrel. Unfortunately, they are currently not shipping.