Unknown blank power

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
maibinenu
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Unknown blank power

Post by maibinenu » Fri May 29, 2020 5:20 am

If dealing with a complete unknown blank , how do you guys can find it's power ?
I mean the range of weights to throw
I read about common cents system but it looks to me that it can determine only the weight at which a blank bends until 1/3 of its length. It is used rather to compare blanks . Only my understanding , maybe i am mistaking.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Unknown blank power

Post by Mattman » Fri May 29, 2020 10:41 am

I use a different, but similar, measuring system. The results of the measurements don't really give you that sort of info. You need a base line to compare to.

If I assume that G. Loomis' power ratings are spot on and gospel, then I can compare back to that. If an MB843 is rated for 1/4 - 3/4 ounces and I measured it as requiring 600 grams to flex the blank, if I have another 7' blank that measures out at 600 grams, I'd rate that blank for 1/4 - 3/4 ounces as well.

Not all 7', 1/4 - 3/4 ounce blanks measure out the same. Ratings are pretty arbitrary. A repeatable measuring system is not. Often times you need to reference back to a known blank to describe a new one. But you have indesputable data to make the comparison.

The same can be said for action.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Fri May 29, 2020 12:51 pm

I feel the action plays a big role in this, not only overall power.

If the measured power is the same, the faster and steeper the tip the lighter the lure range feels for me.

Thinking about my latest buy - evergreen kaleido super cougar - the tip feels as soft as a ML in my arsenal (380g RDA) while I measured more power (460g RDA) than another medium rod (440g RDA). The super cougar‘s tip is way faster than said other medium rod.

So referencing and comparing to known rods really is the way to go to find out.

MikeK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MikeK » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:43 pm

Mudhole sells a Deflection Tool that lets you support two rods or blanks side by side so they can be flexed by hanging weights. As Mattman said you need a basis, so compare the blank to a rod you have that casts a known weight range well for you.

maibinenu
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by maibinenu » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:10 pm

Thank you for the answers !

spoonplugger1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spoonplugger1 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:39 pm

The Common Cents system tells you far more about a blank than any other system ever has, you need to dive into all the chapters to understand what it can continue to tell you. Power and action angle tell you very little. Identical power and action angles can be made using any of the rod making materials, but they will not feel, or perform the same.

spoonplugger1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spoonplugger1 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:59 pm

The power number you come up with, times 1/16 oz., will get you pretty close to the blanks upper casting load limit.