Point Blank Rod for Football Jigs

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
TheBassinPanda
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Point Blank Rod for Football Jigs

Post by TheBassinPanda » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:31 pm

Hey guys,

I've heard a lot of great things about Point Blank rod blanks and how great they are. I'm looking for a really sensitive heavy football jig rod to throw 1/2oz to 3/4oz jigs. I was looking at 7'6" size rod and need some advice on choosing between the PB761MHF vs PB761HF rods.

The PB761MHF is supposed to be a Med Hvy but has a lure rating up to 1 1/4oz, which seems fairly high for a Med Hvy rod.

The PB761HF is supposed to be a Heavy rod but has a lure rating from 1 to 2oz, which seems kind of excessive for what I want.

I have zero experience with Point Blank rods and when I emailed them for a suggestion they just copied and pasted the description from their website.

Thanks

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Point Blank Rod for Football Jigs

Post by toddmc » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:04 am

I have the 761HF. This should fit the bill. I wouldn't buy the MH. I have two of the 701MHF and they start to get overpowered at 3/4 ounce. The 761HF has a pretty light tip. It starts getting overpowered at 1 ounce punch weights. 3/4 punch weights/jigs work well. The Point Blank rods have such a thick butt section that I think it fools people about how smooth and light their tips are. Don't pay attention to their lure ratings. I am perplexed as to how they came up with them.

TheBassinPanda
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by TheBassinPanda » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:28 pm

toddmc wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:04 am
I have the 761HF. This should fit the bill. I wouldn't buy the MH. I have two of the 701MHF and they start to get overpowered at 3/4 ounce. The 761HF has a pretty light tip. It starts getting overpowered at 1 ounce punch weights. 3/4 punch weights/jigs work well. The Point Blank rods have such a thick butt section that I think it fools people about how smooth and light their tips are. Don't pay attention to their lure ratings. I am perplexed as to how they came up with them.
Thanks for your input. Their lure weight ratings are kind of weird. How do you like the 761HF? Do you find it pretty darn sensitive? My main jig rod has been a Megabass Destroyer FMJ and I find it to be pretty darn sensitive but was hoping for a longer maybe a bit stronger version of the FMJ in a custom rod blank for the heavier footballs in deeper water.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:07 am

I haven't fished that rod. As I always say on these threads, the Point Blank rods load up very consistently. They never feel brittle in the mid-section, like an NRX or a GLX. I've never heard any off my five make any noise, and they have caught a lot of 6-10 lb. largies. The blanks are built differently. So, don't expect the same old thing that you have experienced before.

mobass11652
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mobass11652 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:32 pm

I built the 761 Flipping blank for this purpose and couldn’t be happier!! I have a couple of guys using them and they cannot say enough good about them. They use them for 3/4 footballs in deep water bombing cast as far as they can. I have personally boat flipped fish over 7 with mine

TheBassinPanda
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by TheBassinPanda » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:10 pm

Thanks a lot guys! I think I'm going to try get this built soon.