NFC X-ray 6100-1 DSR

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: NFC X-ray 6100-1 DSR

Post by Drakestar » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:45 pm

amso4 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:25 am
Any thoughts on sensitivity between K2 and Xray? The K2 blank has a "buzzy" good feel like an NRX. It seems to vibrate differently than the Xray. I am building the Xray MB-7108 today and then the MB-765 Neo. K2 will be soon after those.
My experience with those blanks is with production rods only (actual Phenix K2 rod and 2020 Zbone). I agree that they feel different; in particular, the Xray feels different to other blanks. I've described the Xray as "bone chilling" in the past - when you hit a rock, that vibration hits you like a hammer. K2 and NRX are just as sensitive, but the vibration feels smoother, for the lack of a better term. At least IMHO - describing how and why a blank is sensitive is not easy :-k

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:51 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:22 pm
Cal wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:06 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:57 pm
Cal...we all know NFC blanks are hardly ever list price.
I didn't :lol: ... so the sale deal is a common occurence eh?
Yes. Usually 50 to 65 percent off
🤦‍♂️😂😂
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:03 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:45 pm
amso4 wrote:
Any thoughts on sensitivity between K2 and Xray? The K2 blank has a "buzzy" good feel like an NRX. It seems to vibrate differently than the Xray. I am building the Xray MB-7108 today and then the MB-765 Neo. K2 will be soon after those.
My experience with those blanks is with production rods only (actual Phenix K2 rod and 2020 Zbone). I agree that they feel different; in particular, the Xray feels different to other blanks. I've described the Xray as "bone chilling" in the past - when you hit a rock, that vibration hits you like a hammer. K2 and NRX are just as sensitive, but the vibration feels smoother, for the lack of a better term. At least IMHO - describing how and why a blank is sensitive is not easy :-k
Thanks. I glad to hear that someones feels that they are different in how they "react". Not sure one is better than the other in absolute terms. Different is probably the right description.

Sorry the thread has gotten off topic a little. I do appreciate the info.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:50 pm

amso4 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:34 pm
Cal - It sounds like you are going to do a comparison of Point Blank to the Xray. I will be very interested in your findings.

I am doing a similar comparison of the Xray SJ-765 to the Pheonix K2 TX-765H-C. Just waiting on a couple of parts.
I'm expecting the K2 blank to be way lighter than the Xray blank, btw. Phenix power ratings are shifted by one, so it's really a 764. And Phenix skew light, so... 3.75 power? NFC power ratings are in line with G Loomis power ratings, I think, so I'd expect a true heavy stick.

nvbroncrider
Angler
Angler

Post by nvbroncrider » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:43 am

Be careful with NFC ratings they are not consistent throughout lineups. Really watch Lure and Line Ratings as some 4's are Mediums so are Heavy's.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:11 pm

Drakestar wrote:
amso4 wrote:
I can relate to your terms. X Ray feels like a very detectable thump/thud - K2 is more of a lasting, buzzing feel. Point Blank kinda combines both sensations. The initial thump is felt like the X Ray, and the buzz feel is also present. They have a very unique way in which they resonate. K2 is constant, X Ray is on the spot, PB offers both. This has been my experience anyhow. X Ray only when on sale for me, Point Blank has been my go to, K2 if I have some extra coin to invest. I like the K2 for dragging/crawling, and the X Ray for jigging/bouncing. Again, Point Blank for the entirety. I also think PB offers the best weight to power ratios. They just feel great. I will say however that the K2 wins on slack line, and I believe it ever so slightly edges out the other two for overall sensitivity. I personally don't think the NFC HM is in the same league. I'll take an UMBX first. Point Blank also has the better tapers and bend characteristics for moving baits imo.
I agree that blank ratings are more hit and miss with NFC. At least with Phenix you know that the K2 is going to essentially fish a half power or so lighter than advertised. Such as the UMBX will fish a half power or slightly more above advertised. Point Blank has been pretty steady.

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:18 pm

Curious, does any rod maker use "Point Blank" blanks for their commercially available rods?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:32 pm

amso4 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:18 pm
Curious, does any rod maker use "Point Blank" blanks for their commercially available rods?
Power Tackle for their "The One" series states they are using a blank from Fuji ... Fuji doesn't make blanks, but Angler's Resource, who distributes Fuji components here in the US does. They own Point Blank. So ...
Cal, Managing Editor

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:08 pm

Just ordered the PB761MHF and add it to my comparison to the Xray and K2. Thanks TT.

Going to have to sell my Exprides, Conquests, NRXs, and Xtasy rods after all these Covid induced builds this winter.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:49 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:11 pm
Drakestar wrote:
amso4 wrote:
I can relate to your terms. X Ray feels like a very detectable thump/thud - K2 is more of a lasting, buzzing feel. Point Blank kinda combines both sensations. The initial thump is felt like the X Ray, and the buzz feel is also present. They have a very unique way in which they resonate. K2 is constant, X Ray is on the spot, PB offers both. This has been my experience anyhow. X Ray only when on sale for me, Point Blank has been my go to, K2 if I have some extra coin to invest. I like the K2 for dragging/crawling, and the X Ray for jigging/bouncing. Again, Point Blank for the entirety. I also think PB offers the best weight to power ratios. They just feel great. I will say however that the K2 wins on slack line, and I believe it ever so slightly edges out the other two for overall sensitivity. I personally don't think the NFC HM is in the same league. I'll take an UMBX first. Point Blank also has the better tapers and bend characteristics for moving baits imo.
I agree that blank ratings are more hit and miss with NFC. At least with Phenix you know that the K2 is going to essentially fish a half power or so lighter than advertised. Such as the UMBX will fish a half power or slightly more above advertised. Point Blank has been pretty steady.
I'm pretty excited to hear this because I ordered a K2 765 blank with its primary purpose of being a Carolina Rig rod for smallmouth.

I have an American Tackle CCT reel seat that was leftover from a build where it didn't work for the NFC blank I was building. I have the G2 carbon Grips that I will be using with the blank.

I also have a 736 SJ XRay that I'm building for football jigs.

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:54 am

HobeyBaker, are you doing a spiral wrap for guide placement?

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:08 am

amso4 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:54 am
HobeyBaker, are you doing a spiral wrap for guide placement?
I'll be doing a traditional guide placement.

nvbroncrider
Angler
Angler

Post by nvbroncrider » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:13 pm

Spiral wrapping is easy. PM me if you need help.

Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bbrotz » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:53 pm

Cal wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:10 am
nvbroncrider wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:29 pm
Cal just warning you are on a dangerous path!!!
These are just Covid projects for me to be honest. Something to keep my hands busy and stay creative. I'm also sanding down and painting some of my swimbaits. The difficulty with wrapping rods is the wait time for components and cost for all the parts. That annoyance is enough to keep me from going overboard.

Besides, with all the testing duties, it's usually difficult finding time to fish the rods I really want to fish anyway.
I know exactly how you feel. I love picking out all the different components for a build but when it comes to ordering them that’s a different story. Trying to figure out if everything is going to fit together correctly before ordering, and then waiting for parts is the worst part of building rods and what keeps me from having a full lineup of my own rods, well that and I like trying new things. I’m currently waiting for an order from matagi to start my builds, so they are going to take a while. ](*,)

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:02 am

Bbrotz wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:53 pm
Trying to figure out if everything is going to fit together correctly before ordering, and then waiting for parts is the worst part of building rods and what keeps me from having a full lineup of my own rods, well that and I like trying new things. I’m currently waiting for an order from matagi to start my builds, so they are going to take a while. ](*,)
I thought i had all the parts I needed for my Point Blank build earlier this week, but one of the winding checks I ordered at 14mm won't slide all the way down the blank to the butt. Turns out the butt diameter is correct, but there's a slight bulge in the blank about four inches up from the butt to just barely over 14mm, so the winding check got stuck there. Had to place another order just for that part. Another week, at least, delayed. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Cal, Managing Editor