Rod Geeks Blanks

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Rod Geeks Blanks

Post by smalliesteve » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:04 pm

Just received my first two Rod Geeks blanks today, and these will probably be the last. Paid extra for a custom paint option on the butt section and the paint quality is a joke. Both blanks have huge inclusions in the paint, bigger than dust particles, scratches, and there is some sort of residue at the transition from painted to unpainted blank. Not sure yet if I can clean it off or if it's actually damage to the paint. I really would have been better off painting them myself with a rattle can. Both were supposed to be a 30/70 paint/bare split, but on the 6'6" rod the painted section is about 4" longer than the painted section on the 7' rod.

One is a 2 piece, one is a 4 piece. The two piece transition is ok, but the 4 piece flexes like two different rods. Looks like a 14" noodle on the end of a broom stick. Both feel kinda rubbery when dragging the tip across the floor.

These were both the carbon 2 blanks, so I wasn't expecting megabass-level quality, but this is rough. Been hearing about Rod Geeks = St Croix for a long time now and decided to give them a shot. Severely disappointed.

I'll still build the 2 piece for my daughter b/c she's just bobber fishing at this point. I'll fish that one, and then decide if I'm even going to bother to put the travel rod together for myself.

setsail26
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Rod Geeks Blanks

Post by setsail26 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:56 pm

That's really unfortunate. I've built on 4 rod geeks blanks and been happy with their quality. I have a metallic red glass blank and I think it looks great. No excuse for crappy quality control. In terms of the carbon 2 blanks, yes they are the same as St. Croix blanks, but remember that they are the blank from a $100 rod.