Constructing a sub-7' enthusiast-level heavy pitching stick (tip-down frogging + bottom-contact sensitivity)

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Constructing a sub-7' enthusiast-level heavy pitching stick (tip-down frogging + bottom-contact sensitivity)

Post by goldrod » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:51 pm

have you looked at legit rods?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Constructing a sub-7' enthusiast-level heavy pitching stick (tip-down frogging + bottom-contact sensitivity)

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:51 pm

BassKat wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:44 am
It seems that given my desire to cut to 6'10", I really need to find a blank no longer than 7'1". Problematically, there's not an XRay, K2, Point Blank, or Rainshadow blank that fits the bill without a 5 or 6" cut that would potentially undermine the rod's performance. Are there any other blank lines with comparably sensitive to the aforementioned? Thanks!
Phenix UMBX seven foot heavy. These blanks run with a little more power than advertised. I use to have measured data for these, but I have no idea what I did with it. The 7' medium heavy fishes more like a heavy or medium heavy plus. Relatively stout blanks. Sensitivity is pretty dang good, not far behind the K2. You might be able to find hard specs here on TT. Just try a Google search.

BassKat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassKat » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:21 pm

Thanks guys. Goldrod, I looked at Legit, but wanted a faster action. MikeK, thanks for bringing the MHX NEPS82HF to my attention - that's a great length! Are the MHK Elite Pro blanks on par with NRX sensitivity? I have an UMBX and have had others -very good blanks to build on, no doubt. Given that this will be for pitching jigs too, I want something with NRX-level sensitivity or I'll end up just frogging with it which would make the build a bust.
My Personal Worst https://photos.app.goo.gl/hHVeZoRFzGt5s4LfA

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:24 pm

BassKat wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:21 pm
Thanks guys. Goldrod, I looked at Legit, but wanted a faster action. MikeK, thanks for bringing the MHX NEPS82HF to my attention - that's a great length! Are the MHK Elite Pro blanks on par with NRX sensitivity? I have an UMBX and have had others -very good blanks to build on, no doubt. Given that this will be for pitching jigs too, I want something with NRX-level sensitivity or I'll end up just frogging with it which would make the build a bust.
No on the MHX imo. You might try to source something from Japan. I can't think of any other blanks than are going to provide what you desire.

BassKat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassKat » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:44 pm

Thanks, Hogsticker! To me, the UMBX flirts with GLX sensitivity and I'd be happy but not enthusiastic. What about Olympic? I looked but didn't see where they sold blanks, although I thought I heard they did.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:12 am

BassKat wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:44 pm
Thanks, Hogsticker! To me, the UMBX flirts with GLX sensitivity and I'd be happy but not enthusiastic. What about Olympic? I looked but didn't see where they sold blanks, although I thought I heard they did.
I have no idea. I know they manufacture blanks for quite a few companies including some Evergreen.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:22 pm

AFAIK Olympic doesn’t sell blanks to builders, If they do sell blanks in any capacity it’s most likely only large orders to other companies.

BassKat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassKat » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:12 pm

Thanks, HellaBread! With potential JDM blanks, I'd likely find the 6'10" - 6'11" length I want, but finding it with a "US" fast to extra fast would be the challenge.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:08 am

BassKat wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:12 pm
Thanks, HellaBread! With potential JDM blanks, I'd likely find the 6'10" - 6'11" length I want, but finding it with a "US" fast to extra fast would be the challenge.
It’s mainly due to the fact a US extra fast taper at that length and power comes with potentially shorter lifespan with exponentially higher risk of breakages with a normal full tubular blank construction. Shorter rod on that taper means all that force you put on it has less length to distribute. This combined with the blank torquing in the area the tip transitions into the backbone when conventionally wrapped is usually how breakages can occur. This is why jdm rods are usually either dual tapered but have extra power deep in the backbone and transition to make up for it or the ones that are XF are solid tipped. If you do manage to find a blank that meets the specs you’re looking for I’d consider spiral wrapping it which is what I personally prefer on all my rod builds.

BassKat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassKat » Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:50 pm

Thanks - that makes perfect sense and the spiral wrapping sounds prudent, especially if it doesn't dampen performance. Unless someone comes through with a JDM blank fitting the bill, I'll probably turn back to production rods.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:43 am

There's really no reason to NOT build a proper acid/spiral wrap...less the aesthetics hurt 'yer feelers more than the benefits of the build would provide.

http://tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=4 ... piral+wrap
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

BassKat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassKat » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:20 am

Thanks, really great thread on spiral wrapping!

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:11 pm

BassKat wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:20 am
Thanks, really great thread on spiral wrapping!
Yeppers, it's a fun and enlightening read.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:52 pm

When I am in the trenches i just like the spiral and goto those rods first !
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Mleblanc02
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Mleblanc02 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:00 pm

Check out North fork composites 668-1 HM. You can add the 3 or so inches to give you a bit more deep power and increase the fast action of the blank. The HM are a very good high end choice. This blank with the added length seems ideal for what you are wanting to accomplish.