Air Brushing

Can't find what you're looking for in a catalog or in the store shelves? Ever think about just making it yourself? Come share your inspirations and creations with fellow tinkerers in TackleTour's Garage Baits forum!
djtaimishue
Angler
Angler

Air Brushing

Post by djtaimishue » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:03 pm

guys,

I'm starting to get in to painting my own lures, but I would like some info on supplies. What are some quality air brush, and what do i look for? what kind of paint do i use? do i need an air compressor? really dont have a real budget, somthing mid range would be good tho.

Thanks,
Tai

Big Bass Man
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Air Brushing

Post by Big Bass Man » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:23 am

I use a iwata hp-c+ airbrush for the fine detail and a bigger tip iwata for my base coats and pearls. I use kreatex and auto air paints, both water base paints. Yes you will need a aircompressor and be able to control your air output and also need a water trap.

djtaimishue
Angler
Angler

Post by djtaimishue » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:14 am

Big Bass Man,

Thanks for the info.

You say you use a base or pearl you use a bigger tipped Iwata. Is that just a change in the tips or a differnt airbrush?

Tai

Big Bass Man
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Big Bass Man » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:31 am

djtaimishue wrote:Big Bass Man,

Thanks for the info.

You say you use a base or pearl you use a bigger tipped Iwata. Is that just a change in the tips or a differnt airbrush?

Tai
Your welcome man!!

I use a .5 tipped iwata for my basecoats and pearls. I use the hp-c+ for my fine detail which is a .3 tipped, AWESOME BRUSH!! According to what kind of clear that you are going to use, you may need a lure turner drying wheel to hang your lures on after painted.

Good Luck with your painting adventure!!

Big Bass Man
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Big Bass Man » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:43 am

djtaimishue wrote:Big Bass Man,

Thanks for the info.

Tai

Sorry I miss read your post, It is two different airbrushes. The hp-c+ is a little costly, the .5 tipped brush was pretty cheap. You can start out with one brush and just wait until you get used to everything in the painting lures, then buy another if you would like. I started out with one, but as I got better with that brush, I could see where the fine detail was hard to do with the 1st brush. Just take it as it comes and BEWARE, Painting is very ADDICTIVE :D :D

djtaimishue
Angler
Angler

Post by djtaimishue » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:01 pm

Thanks again...
once I get started i'll post some pics here.

Big Bass Man
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Big Bass Man » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:18 am

Cool !! I will keep a lookout for them.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:03 am

I've got three brushes, have used at least a half a dozen other types, and my favorite is an Aztek. I believe the Testors corporation now has that brush. Its hands down my favorite airbrush. Easy to maintain, problem free, quick easy change overs.

Double action brush is the way to go in my opinion.

If you're going to do a lot of brushing, a dedicated airbrush compressor is a must. They are much quieter than a standard compressor. I went super cheap with my first compressor and it didn't have a tank. I found that the diaphram in the compressor actually made my air supply pulse. So, in my experience, a compressor with a tank is also a must unless the supply out to the airbrush is regulated some how.

If you're just going to paint a few baits here and there, an air tank is fine. I have a 9 gallon air tank. I outfitted it with quick releases and have an inline moisture trap/pressure regulator that quick connects. I can fill my tank with my large shop compressor and then take it into the house to airbrush. Its 100% silent. Very nice.

I use Createx airbrush paints.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods