Custom Paints

Can't find what you're looking for in a catalog or in the store shelves? Ever think about just making it yourself? Come share your inspirations and creations with fellow tinkerers in TackleTour's Garage Baits forum!
Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Custom Paints

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:53 pm

Got into painting this year and have been trying to learn everything I can. It’s been a fun process putting everything together. Been using a Paasche H airbrush and it’s been getting the job done, but can’t wait to get something that will work even better. Here’s a few of the baits I’ve painted so far this year. Sticking to my favorite colors that I know work well for now. Basic, but get the job done.

First up is a blue crab pattern on a Lucky Craft Fat Mini SR. Throw these primarily for redfish and they tear it up.

Next is a couple blue mullet paint jobs to mimic the grey mullet that are always on the menu. Turned out well with all the pearls and has a nice color shift from blue to silver on the shoulders. LC Pointer 100 SSR and Flash Minnow 95

Purple always works great in the winter so I had to have a few of these. LC Pointer 100 SSR

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Custom Paints

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:09 pm

Great work, Jeff. Those will git 'er done! =D>
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:12 am

Very nice! I want to get into airbrushing as well. Seems like a lot of fun learning the process.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:59 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:09 pm
Great work, Jeff. Those will git 'er done! =D>
Thanks Tim! Making it up as I go along and they are working well

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:01 am

MountainMan 83 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:12 am
Very nice! I want to get into airbrushing as well. Seems like a lot of fun learning the process.
Thank you. It really is, and all the color options that are available are mind blowing. Best part for me is I can buy discontinued lures that don’t have any good colors left, and paint them for a specific situation.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:15 pm

It can be addictive once you start learning more.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:13 pm

Bantam1 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:15 pm
I definitely agree. Slowly putting it together but it takes time. My airbrush isn’t exactly made for fine detail, so that doesn’t help the learning curve, but it’s getting the job done for now I guess. Do you paint lures?

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:29 pm

Every company makes Bone topwaters, but not many make Bone jerkbaits :-k Made this Bone/Gold/Silver pattern and it has been absolutely lights out for me this summer fishing sand flats for big trout. Pearl Gold mixed with white makes a sweet Bone color with lots of Gold flake shining depending on light angle, and lots of Pearl Gold mixed with white and brown in the darker sections. Natural, but bright.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:02 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:13 pm
Bantam1 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:15 pm
I definitely agree. Slowly putting it together but it takes time. My airbrush isn’t exactly made for fine detail, so that doesn’t help the learning curve, but it’s getting the job done for now I guess. Do you paint lures?
I've been doing it for about a year for myself and a few friends. I mostly paint saltwater stuff for my fishing here in So-Cal. I also paint some stuff for a friend that fishes the FLW Tour. My time is limited and I am a perfectionist, so I could never do it for a living. I painted a trout glide bait over the weekend and have 5 hours into it without clear coat. There are several really good painters out there and I appreciate the work after doing it for myself. I would never try to jump into that market because there are so many new painters out there thanks to the internet and Youtube. Your work looks solid so far.

I have two Iwata airbrushes. HP-C+ and an Eclipse HP-CS with two bodies and two needle sizes to convert for different needs. I can do fine detail work and paint high volume for larger lures. I used to paint with spray cans and always wanted an airbrush. I dove in head first and expanded as I learned. I have a cheap airbrush too I used for clear coat. It worked fine. Just keep it clean and it will work for you. Even if it lasts a few months, they are cheap to replace.

Learn how to thin the paints for each type and color to the correct PSI. Some colors spray better at lower pressures than others. Some paints need a larger needled because of the flake size or amount. Write your formulas down. At a point you will paint so many things you will forget how to do an older pattern you painted months ago. Or maybe that's just old age starting to hit me.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:30 am

Here's a few of the latest things I have painted and spent way too much time doing:

Bunker for coastal SC for a buddy at our office there.

Seniorita Fish for myself for calico bass fishing.

Northeast Perch for a friend out there. Jackall Rerange repaint.

Hinkle glide baits for a friend here in SoCal.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:22 am

Bantam1 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:02 am

I've been doing it for about a year for myself and a few friends. I mostly paint saltwater stuff for my fishing here in So-Cal. I also paint some stuff for a friend that fishes the FLW Tour. My time is limited and I am a perfectionist, so I could never do it for a living. I painted a trout glide bait over the weekend and have 5 hours into it without clear coat. There are several really good painters out there and I appreciate the work after doing it for myself. I would never try to jump into that market because there are so many new painters out there thanks to the internet and Youtube. Your work looks solid so far.

I have two Iwata airbrushes. HP-C+ and an Eclipse HP-CS with two bodies and two needle sizes to convert for different needs. I can do fine detail work and paint high volume for larger lures. I used to paint with spray cans and always wanted an airbrush. I dove in head first and expanded as I learned. I have a cheap airbrush too I used for clear coat. It worked fine. Just keep it clean and it will work for you. Even if it lasts a few months, they are cheap to replace.

Learn how to thin the paints for each type and color to the correct PSI. Some colors spray better at lower pressures than others. Some paints need a larger needled because of the flake size or amount. Write your formulas down. At a point you will paint so many things you will forget how to do an older pattern you painted months ago. Or maybe that's just old age starting to hit me.
Wow Bantam, amazing work! Those are impressive, really can tell you put some time into this, and love the attention to detail you show in those baits. I like them all, but those Glide baits look incredible!

I really appreciate the time spent to type this out, lots of good details in there, and appreciate the support as well! Seeing it in writing is great, and much easier for me than trying to retain info from videos. Im definitely gonna keep coming back to this and apply some of that info.

An Iwata Eclipse is the next purchase I’ll make, and can’t wait to see how things improve as those brushes can create some awesome finishes. I’ll keep the one I have now for priming and colors that will cover larger areas such as pearl silver. Thinning paint to flow properly has had a learning curve, but starting to get it right. Pearls have been interesting in how they can differ depending on color. It’s also hard to get good pictures with pearl paints because it always looks like splatter when light hits it at different angles.

Again, thanks a lot, this gives me some things to think about =D>
Last edited by Jeffbro999 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:36 am

Here’s a few of my successes with these baits, mainly the Bone jerkbaits as it works so good I can’t put it down to throw anything else :lol: This is exactly why I started painting, to get colors that aren’t made in my favorite lures and crush big fish.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:47 pm

Amazing colours!

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:16 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:47 pm
Amazing colours!
Nice fish, too!

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:25 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:16 pm
Slazmo wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:47 pm
Amazing colours!
Nice fish, too!
Im here only for the tackle and pretty pictures...

Tried doing that fish from around the globe to expand fishing styles and fish "no bueno"