Custom Paints

Can't find what you're looking for in a catalog or in the store shelves? Ever think about just making it yourself? Come share your inspirations and creations with fellow tinkerers in TackleTour's Garage Baits forum!
Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Custom Paints

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:16 am

I used to do everything with spray cans. I used custom cut stencils and envelopes to wary shading lines. I mastered the art of the rattle can :lol: but I always wanted more. Airbrush was the only answer. I know a guy that does it as a side business when he isn't guiding or fishing FLW. I asked him a ton of questions and he is the one that told me what to get. It accelerated my learning curve on what to use. I had to learn the how to use part on my own.

Your stuff looks good to me. I might even "borrow" your bone pattern for something out here ;) I really like it. Order some blem or "scratch and dent" type blanks from places like Dinger to practice on. Sometimes you can find really good deals at places like Walmart or Bass Pro for factory painted baits to paint over.

For jerkbait repaints I actually weigh them before I strip the paint. I reload my own ammunition for long range shooting so I have stupid accurate scales. I try to match the weight exactly, or within reason, to keep the suspend rate the same. I do it for original Wiggle Warts too.

I see most people like to paint things and cover them in epoxy. Epoxy is heavy and it can screw up the action on some lures. I use a two part automotive clear coat for 90% of the stuff I paint. It's not too heavy, really durable for bass, somewhat durable for salty fish with teeth.

Have fun and keep posting pics.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:33 am

Welp, I just picked up an Iwata Eclipse HP BCS, so let the fun begin! \:D/

What paints do you guys like to use? My first project after I get used to it a bit is going to be painting some beat up aluminum framed reels. I also have some sanded down old rat l traps that are ready for some paint. Will most paints run double duty for metal and plastic?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:51 am

I use mostly Createx brand paints. I tend to use more from the Wicked and Auto lines. The regular Createx is heavier and has larger pigments. It can be thinned down. Some colors are harder to clean out of the airbrush than others in the regular Createx. I have used other brands including solvent based paints like House of Kolor. I don't like wearing a respirator so I tend to stick with the water based paints more. Use a good two part clear coat when you're done to protect it. Like anything else your paint job is only as good as your prep and finish jobs.

If you are painting bare aluminum make sure you use a good self etching primer on it first. Otherwise the paint will not stay on the aluminum very well. There are things like Cerakote for firearms that bond well to aluminum if you want to look into that.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:01 am

Bantam1 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:51 am
I use mostly Createx brand paints. I tend to use more from the Wicked and Auto lines. The regular Createx is heavier and has larger pigments. It can be thinned down. Some colors are harder to clean out of the airbrush than others in the regular Createx. I have used other brands including solvent based paints like House of Kolor. I don't like wearing a respirator so I tend to stick with the water based paints more. Use a good two part clear coat when you're done to protect it. Like anything else your paint job is only as good as your prep and finish jobs.

If you are painting bare aluminum make sure you use a good self etching primer on it first. Otherwise the paint will not stay on the aluminum very well. There are things like Cerakote for firearms that bond well to aluminum if you want to look into that.
Awesome info!. Appreciate it.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:36 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:16 pm
[quote=Slazmo post_id=664644 time=<a href="tel:1573249639">1573249639</a> user_id=16202]
Amazing colours!
Nice fish, too!
[/quote]

Thank you guys. Having fun with these creations. They are definitely working so far, which is all I can ask for.

Edit....not sure what happened with those quotes :doh:

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:40 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:25 pm

Im here only for the tackle and pretty pictures...

Tried doing that fish from around the globe to expand fishing styles and fish "no bueno"
Sorry I missed your thread, I would have definitely taken part in that. Love seeing what people on here catch around the world, and love to see all of the nice tackle getting some use. I’d have probably talked way to much though :lol:

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:56 pm

Bantam1 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:16 am
I used to do everything with spray cans. I used custom cut stencils and envelopes to wary shading lines. I mastered the art of the rattle can :lol: but I always wanted more. Airbrush was the only answer. I know a guy that does it as a side business when he isn't guiding or fishing FLW. I asked him a ton of questions and he is the one that told me what to get. It accelerated my learning curve on what to use. I had to learn the how to use part on my own.

Your stuff looks good to me. I might even "borrow" your bone pattern for something out here ;) I really like it. Order some blem or "scratch and dent" type blanks from places like Dinger to practice on. Sometimes you can find really good deals at places like Walmart or Bass Pro for factory painted baits to paint over.

For jerkbait repaints I actually weigh them before I strip the paint. I reload my own ammunition for long range shooting so I have stupid accurate scales. I try to match the weight exactly, or within reason, to keep the suspend rate the same. I do it for original Wiggle Warts too.

I see most people like to paint things and cover them in epoxy. Epoxy is heavy and it can screw up the action on some lures. I use a two part automotive clear coat for 90% of the stuff I paint. It's not too heavy, really durable for bass, somewhat durable for salty fish with teeth.

Spray cans, so you took it a step further than my start with fingernail polish :lol: That is very cool that you found someone that would be willing to teach! I’m sure that helped a lot. Just like here, I’m very appreciative of the info you have provided.

That “bone” pattern is really just a variation of Lucky Crafts NC Shell White, and it’s funny that they released their new baits this year in a Bone/Silver pattern that’s very similar. It needs more detail, but I haven’t figured out what yet. I’m sure it’ll catch fish all over the country, so put it to good use!

That’s a really good point about lure weight, and something I’ve been meaning to do. I’ll weigh up the next ones as I’m definitely curious how much weight it adds. Noticed the Shadow Rap Shads are very specific about weight.

Do you have to wear a respirator for spraying the auto clear? I’ve been using KBS and it works really good so far. Cures hard, very easy to apply and comes out looking like glass. Does scratch pretty quickly as far as hook rash(3 trips and it’s showing up but doesn’t get bad for a while) so always looking for advice on clear coats.

Thanks again.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:58 pm

MountainMan 83 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:33 am
Welp, I just picked up an Iwata Eclipse HP BCS, so let the fun begin! \:D/

What paints do you guys like to use? My first project after I get used to it a bit is going to be painting some beat up aluminum framed reels. I also have some sanded down old rat l traps that are ready for some paint. Will most paints run double duty for metal and plastic?
Looks like you got some great advice. Have fun with it, take it slow at first and don’t be to critical of yourself, and you will pick it up in no time \:D/

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:08 pm

I’m liking the blue lately, so here’s a couple more. First is a Shadow Rap Shad, second is a Flash Minnow 110.

Last edited by Jeffbro999 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:58 pm

Try adding a coat of clear nail polish in the hook rash swing path. It really helps cut it down, and it's easy to add more when it starts to wear through.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:20 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:58 pm
Try adding a coat of clear nail polish in the hook rash swing path. It really helps cut it down, and it's easy to add more when it starts to wear through.
Thanks Mark! Great advice, I’ll give it a try.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:58 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:56 pm
Bantam1 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:16 am

Spray cans, so you took it a step further than my start with fingernail polish :lol: That is very cool that you found someone that would be willing to teach! I’m sure that helped a lot. Just like here, I’m very appreciative of the info you have provided.

That “bone” pattern is really just a variation of Lucky Crafts NC Shell White, and it’s funny that they released their new baits this year in a Bone/Silver pattern that’s very similar. It needs more detail, but I haven’t figured out what yet. I’m sure it’ll catch fish all over the country, so put it to good use!

That’s a really good point about lure weight, and something I’ve been meaning to do. I’ll weigh up the next ones as I’m definitely curious how much weight it adds. Noticed the Shadow Rap Shads are very specific about weight.

Do you have to wear a respirator for spraying the auto clear? I’ve been using KBS and it works really good so far. Cures hard, very easy to apply and comes out looking like glass. Does scratch pretty quickly as far as hook rash(3 trips and it’s showing up but doesn’t get bad for a while) so always looking for advice on clear coats.

Thanks again.
I wear an issued military gas mask that a friend gave me. I have a ton of spare filters for it too. So far zero issues with it and the filters seem to do a good job. Plus my eyes aren't exposed to any of it. Its been pretty durable against hook rash, well depending on the hooks. My offshore stuff get's a little wrecked by the ST-66 Owner trebles. It happens and it doesn't bother me really. The freshwater stuff has held up really well. Better than most factory clear coats do.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:59 am

Bantam1 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:58 am

I wear an issued military gas mask that a friend gave me. I have a ton of spare filters for it too. So far zero issues with it and the filters seem to do a good job. Plus my eyes aren't exposed to any of it. Its been pretty durable against hook rash, well depending on the hooks. My offshore stuff get's a little wrecked by the ST-66 Owner trebles. It happens and it doesn't bother me really. The freshwater stuff has held up really well. Better than most factory clear coats do.
I’ll have to look into that. Clear coats are always a touchy subject, but always hear good things about the Automotive clears. Always been worried about use though because of the need for a respirator. Actually have a gas mask that was my fathers from Vietnam, so thanks for another great idea!

I’ll take a few pics of some baits after light-heavy use and see if it looks normal. So far I can’t complain, but always interested in something better.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:28 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:59 am
Bantam1 wrote:

I’ll have to look into that. Clear coats are always a touchy subject, but always hear good things about the Automotive clears. Always been worried about use though because of the need for a respirator. Actually have a gas mask that was my fathers from Vietnam, so thanks for another great idea!

I’ll take a few pics of some baits after light-heavy use and see if it looks normal. So far I can’t complain, but always interested in something better.
Be sure and replace the filters in that gas mask. Activated charcoal filters continue to filter as long as they are exposed to air, so they will lose their effectiveness after a while.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:13 am

mark poulson wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:28 am
JBcrankaddict wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:59 am
Bantam1 wrote:

Be sure and replace the filters in that gas mask. Activated charcoal filters continue to filter as long as they are exposed to air, so they will lose their effectiveness after a while.
That's why most masks also have caps/covers for the 2 filters. My dad keeps his in a tight-sealing enclosure like a plastic storage container. He keeps his chem suit, gloves and mask together.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.