Nissan Titan

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nissan Titan

Post by Zander » Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:15 pm

Hi Guy's just wondering if anyone has a Nissan Titan, and used it to tow a boat yet. I'm looking at getting a new tow vehicle, and keep coming accross the Titan as a great choice. 4Wheeler, Car and Driver, Edmunds...all give it top ratings. But to this day I don't know anyone with firsthand experience. Too bad the dealer wont let me have a test tow. :lol:

Thanks!

swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Nissan Titan

Post by swear by senkos » Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:49 am

I do not have any experience with this vehicle, how heavy is the boat you are towing. You might want to go with a ford or chevy because the nissan because you can get a much bigger engine package in a Chevy or Ford then a nissan.

seasicknes
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by seasicknes » Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:33 pm

Depending on how much you are towing.
The new nissan titan does have its nice touches, but for brute towing I will go for the ford/chevy/dodge.

I used to own a nissan pathfinder. Towed my 17' boston whaler montauk. I used to tow it everywhere (Oregon to Mexico), after about 60,000 miles my transmission blew.

I now have a ford f-250 superduty crew cab in diesel form. I tow my 22' hydrasports and tow my 170 montauk. I have about 60,000 miles now. So far, no problems plus I get double digit gas mileage while towing. And while towing these boats, I don't really feel them back there. The trailer on the hydrasport has disk brakes and it does not push the truck.

For heavy duty towing, I recommend a large american truck.
Prefer a diesel. Not very fast, but they sure can PULL. There gas mileage is double digits even in towing.

Ken (170 montauk / 22' hydrasports wa)

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:35 pm

Thanks guys,

The Titan is pretty impressive with a 5.7liter engine, against teh new F150's 5.5 liter, and teh Tundra's 4.7 liter. I drove them all and the Titan seemed to be solid, but I totally agree about Diesel power. Currently I have a Land ROver DiscoII and while it is awesome for off road it lacks the towing I need even to get my Nitro bass boat over those big grade's. I'll test drive the Dodge and Ford Diesel truck's and go from there.

Thanks,

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:38 am

I have a 98 Ram with the 360. It pulls my 18ft Baja with no problems at all. Took it through the hills of Tennesse and it climbs great.

I also thing the Dodges' are a more solid vehicle. I test drove them all when I bought mine. I was set on a Ford till I drove the RAM.

KBookerT

Carpbell
Angler
Angler

Post by Carpbell » Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:11 pm

I have the previous gen F150 and it has been a ok vehivle, but the car has always felt hollow to me. Really like the new F150, a lot more solid and more power. I'm also very interested in teh Titan, but am considering the new RAM as well. These days there are a lot of good choices for a tow vehicle.

Zander, how much does the Discovery2 tow? I heard those are good offroad, but don't they suck gas like its going out of style?

Charlie1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Charlie1 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:49 am

Not to start a fire if everyone here is a Ford/Chevy/Dodge lovers, but the Titan will do wonders for towing a boat. You don't need to step up to the F250,2500......whatever for a boat unless it's a friggin yacht. Tell me your boat weighs more than towing a fifth wheel, thats what I've seen. I don't believe in the Diesel thing for a boat either, I know that it is nice but not necessary..................I think that it's all personal preference and for show.

seasicknes
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by seasicknes » Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:51 am

The Nissan pathfinder ARMADA 4x4

5.6 L dohc 32 valve v8
385 lb ft @3600 rpm
305 hp @ 4900 rpm
fuel injection
28 gallon capacity
regular (87 octane) gas

5 speed od automatic
automatic full time all wheel drive

tow package:
max tow rating 9100 lbs.

Mileage: 13 city
18 hiway
Overall NON towing: 13.2
Overall TOWING: 8.1

From Trailer Boats- issue May 2004. page79

JapanReels
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JapanReels » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:51 am

GMC trucks have an option to get the 8.0 v8 with quadrasteer. I own a GMC denali 2003 model with some upgrades and this thing pulls without a problem. I occassionally pull a Striper limited 26" ft boat and it seems to pull that massive boat with any problems. I know my Denali is an SUV but their is options for the truck model as well. As for specs on HP and Torque, my Denali comes a bit over 400ft pounds of torque with 365hp with all the upgrades and computerizing.

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:16 pm

Z,

The Titan sounds nice.  I own a Chevy 2500 HD with the Duramax Diesel engine and Allison transmission.  I have no trouble towing my 23' foot MB Sports boat or my 27' Holiday Rambler Alumiscape travel trailer.

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:24 pm

Carpbell,

Yeah the DiscoII is great when I need to go offroad and get to hard to reach holes, definately good for fly fishing or working rivers. As a tow vehicle its just ok. I have a air suspension tow package so it always lifts the trailer flat, and also have 4 big calipers so it stops allright, but in terms of pure power it needs more.

Other problem is taht teh car weighs a ton! and gas miliage is only 13/16mpg.

I think a big truck would be better, I could use the bed for inflatables a lot easier.

JapanReels
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JapanReels » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:31 pm

Hey Zander, have you looked into any of the GMC trucks? They have some great features for towing and making tight turns. Check it out if you get a chance..

sdesign
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by sdesign » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:27 am

took a look at the Titan yesterday at the Dealership. Didn't take one out for a test drive but by Japanese car standards - IT'S HUGE!!!!

Love the chrome grill... then again, I've always been a Nissan guy

:twisted:

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:02 am

Yeah the Titan is huge, and agter test driving a lot of different trucks its still on top of my list. The bed's utilitrack system is perfect for tying down a pontoon. The Titan has an excellent GPS, and it tows over 9000 lbs. For me the styling is just so-so, but the specs are nice.

I do like Diesel trucks as well, but the Titan sure has a lot of nice goodies. Will be making a decision soon.

sdesign
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by sdesign » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:21 am

for the record, we own or have owned a Nissan 200SX, Pathfinder, Maxima, and Infiniti G35 and have not had any problems with any of these cars...

HOWEVER, my wife tells me she read Nissan has been having some problems, lately with initial quality due to their very aggressive plan to re-do their entire lineup and introduce new vehicles... so, just a word of caution.

I've driven a diesel car... couldn't stand it. The slow acceleration, noise, and exhaust drove me nuts. It was my father's car.

I now have my eye on the Infiniti FX35 or the new Pathfinder to replace our '94 Pathfinder.