towable boat covers????

va175txr
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

towable boat covers????

Post by va175txr » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:21 am

So much for strapping tarps over it. Looking at the Pro Customs at Cabella's but noticing alot of reviews mentioning that it needs a few more straps on it for the towable. Haven't found anyone with better than 4 straps per side in a custom cover. Anyone here know who's offering a quality custom cover for a bass tracker?

va175txr
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: towable boat covers????

Post by va175txr » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:39 pm

If you want something done right.........

Mike, who sold me the boat recommended the one cover that he deals with through his shop.
I didn't ask the spelling since he was going to do the leg work for me, but recommends
Toomac? Twomac? Toumac? Tumac? 2mac? Something like that. I'll post up the actual name when I get it, but an actual test of time will take some time.

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:53 am

va175txr,
I have a 97' Nitro and was able to get a new cover (just like when I bought the boat), directly from Bass Pro. All I needed to do was tell them the model number. So you may be able to get one from the boat service dept -- but you'll have to call. It was reasonably priced and apparently they get requests on older boats all the time. It may be slightly more expensive than a generic replacement, but it was a perfect fit and layout was the same. It even had a 3 year warranty.

By the same token, I also got a new one for my 98' Ranger. I called Ranger Factory Service (in Flippin, Arkansas), told them the boat model number, what side the kicker motor was mounted on and its size, the material it was made of, etc. and they made a new one that was identical to the one that came with the boat. It was expensive, but was a perfect fit with the same strap layout, etc.

I looked into getting a custom canvas cover made at a local Amish canvas shop. I saw one they were in the process of making for a similar Ranger -- only problem was there was no way I could lift it after it was rolled up (especially if wet). That thing must have weighed a ton!

Chuck
TackleTour
Contributing Editor, Gear Crew Member and Moderator

va175txr
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by va175txr » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:17 pm

I'll keep that in mind. I saw one that a friend had gotten for his tracker that was a BPS custom and it was a bit thin for my needs. I won't start building the garage for another year at the least, so I'm looking for a heavier material that will handle snow load better. Whenever it snows I am manditorially working in it, so I'm not home to clear the boat as I need to be. Mike gave me a guarantee that I'll be pleased or he'll take it back, even after use. I'll bow pvc under it for added support, but this one did have the heavier areas at the stress points (console, trolling mot., etc.) If this doesn't work I'll slap a shanty atop it with a bps cover for sun fading.