Boat Cover Recommendations Please

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Boat Cover Recommendations Please

Post by USA-RET » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:36 pm

I'm going to be picking up a new boat and will be storing it outside. I need some advice regarding a very waterproof and UV resistant cover that I can use in our Florida Sun.

I've seen the effects of the sun on boats down here, and it's not a pretty sight. Trying to keep mine looking new for a long long time. I'll probably drape some heavy canvas over the trailer fenders and tires to protect them as best I can when parked.

Main concern is a good water proof cover that will protect the boat and motor.

Thanks to all who answer.

Cheers!
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

ferrysj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Boat Cover Recommendations Please

Post by ferrysj » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:49 pm

I have tried several trying to avoid the most expensive which is Sunbrella. I went back to a Custom Sunbrella cover for 24-7 mooring on a 26 foot Baja. I expect to get 6 years out of it. Waterproof and breathes extremely well. That's important for the humidity that the boat stays in. I will not mess around with the others again. One brand did not even last a season.

It's hard to beat Sunbrella with the caveat that I am inshore and not around salt water. Maybe someone with off-shore experience can chime in on other fabric choices.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:08 pm

Thanks for the info..I'll check them out..mine will be strictly freshwater on a Florida Lake. Boat will be stored next to cabin when not in use.

I was thinking of getting a Bass Pro or similar cover for the boat and then just fling a blue tarp over that to keep any drenching rain off the regular boat cover. The "blue" tarps we use on the roofs down here (after the hurricanes) last a long time.

Cheers!!
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

ferrysj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ferrysj » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:53 am

I did the tarp thing one winter when I did not have access to a barn. Proper venting becomes the issue with tarp. The moisture could not escape, even leaving the 4x portal windows in the cuddy open as well as the access door to the cockpit. I had a mess in the spring. I actually had to replace the cushion covers in the cuddy later that season.

If the interior of your boat is impervious to long term moisture, tarps work great and are relatively cheap. You really wouldn't need the BPS cover underneath if your tarp is heavy enough and you can probably get two years out of a tarp.

I went with the Sunbrella because I needed a mooring cover too and wanted something that is easy-on easy-off when at the dock. Square tarps do not tie down easily and there is lots of extra material at the bow.

SC Bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SC Bassin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:43 am

BigBait Intervention
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BigBait Intervention » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:42 pm

Cabelas had their Rachet Lok covers on sale last week, most sizes for bass boats were $100-$200 off. The cover has gotten many, many great reviews and has a 6 year warranty. The sheer # of happy customer reviews and the warranty is what led to my purchase of this cover.

I checked out and researched all I could about covers and still came back to the cabelas cover. If you've got $600-$800 you can get a Sunbrella cover, I just don't have that kind of kaching to spend on a cover right now.

The Cabelas cover is made of 600-Denier high density pigment-coated polyester....The good stuff!

It also comes with a separate motor cover. Many of the reviews say you can tow with this cover, although I don't usually tow with the cover installed on my boat to avoid uneccessary wear to the finish.

My new cover just arrived this evening and I can't wait to put it on the boat tomorrow. I chose the Charcoal color from the two color choices of Navy or Charcoal. It took about a week from the time I ordered it for it to arrive, not bad.

Do your due diligence so you'll be happy with what you eventually buy, but be sure to at least check out the Cabelas cover before spending Godzilla size money for one!

Oh, and I'm in Phoenix, AZ and we also suffer similar effects from the sun! :doh:

BBI

:D

stykbowslim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stykbowslim » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:03 am

I ordered a boat cover from http://www.boatcovers.com/ and I just recieved the cover last night. I have a Tracker PT 185 and the cover fit the boat perfectly.