Batteries questions

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Batteries questions

Post by Finnz922 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:10 pm

Do you guys use all the same brand/type batteries for you trolling motor setup?

When 1 battery dies, do you replace all or just the one?

What brand of batteries do you recommend and what batteries do you recommend staying away from?

Are gel batteries worth it or can I just use the AGM's from Bass Pro or Cabela's?

Boat: Lowe 17' Fish n pro w/ 40hp Evinrude 2 stroke
Motorguide Wireless 75 / 55" shaft 24 volt setup

Imavol
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Batteries questions

Post by Imavol » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:13 pm

I have always had good luck with Deka's. And on my trolling motor 24V if one dies I replace them both. The one time I did not do this my battery did not last as long as it should. I usually get about 5 years out of them. The main thing is to keep the water levels where they should be if you do they will last a long time.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:25 am

If one dies, I replace all three. AGM batteries are great for starting batteries but not needed for trolling motors as the price does not warrant any gains you may have. I like to use the same brand for all my TM batteries. I'm satisfied with Interstate Batteries for the price. I have had bad experiences with Everstart Batteries sold by Walmart and would not buy another one.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:00 am

I went to AGM for the true maintenance free feature (spill proof, vibration resistant an added bonus). Trying to get into a contortionist's position to check cell levels was too much for my old back.

I did a bit of research before buying mine at Sam's Club. Very happy with the product and price.

SWH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SWH » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:24 pm

GEL has better available capacity - and is maintenance free? -, but they do cost more. You can use 95% of its power without significantly reducing capacity, where an AGM allows you to draw around 75%, and regular batteries much less. Keep that in mind when calculating amp overall costs; GEL at a 90% discharge may have a good 500 cycles or more where an AGM discharged 75% may result in 300. AGM allows faster charging which is good when running the outboard.

My numbers are just relative to one another and not specific. Batteries from different manufactures vary a lot too. VARTA Pro deep cycle AGM is the ultimate in the category, not sure if they are sold in the states :)