Down Imaging Lowrance vs Humminbird?

mike_honcho
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Down Imaging Lowrance vs Humminbird?

Post by mike_honcho » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:10 pm

I am looking at getting a new fishfinder and was thinking about going with a unit that has DI. I am mostly looking in the 500 to 600 range and researching my options. Right now I am looking at the (Lowrance Elite-5 DSI DownScan Imaging Color) and 597ci HD DI Combo. I might also step down in terms of models without the GPS due to the fact that I fish only small ponds that wouldn't provide a map for down load to the unit. If anyone has any advise on that please chime in. Any way so what is everyones opinion on these two companies DI units. I am not even close to an expert on the use of fishfinders and mostly utilize mine to find underwater structure to fish instead of beating the bank all the time. So it seems the DI would be an important piece for me to improve the visibility of the bottom depth changes, submerged grass, and rocky bottoms to improve my catch ratio. I have read a lot of negative things about the lowrance units and the lack of user manual and not very user friendly. I have read good and bad reviews on both companies but would like to get more input from people that have used them or similar models.

Griller101
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Down Imaging Lowrance vs Humminbird?

Post by Griller101 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:08 am

Hi, if you're only going to run one sonar I would go with with humminbird as the unit also has regular sonar view. The elite dsi only has downscan imaging which means you can't see thermocline or your jig on the sonar, unless that's not an issue for you then either will get the job done. The humminbird will be more versatile. Good fishing!

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:59 am

Griller101 wrote:Hi, if you're only going to run one sonar I would go with with humminbird as the unit also has regular sonar view. The elite dsi only has downscan imaging which means you can't see thermocline or your jig on the sonar, unless that's not an issue for you then either will get the job done. The humminbird will be more versatile. Good fishing!
x2

I have the lowrance, but wish I would've chosen otherwise. It's great in shallower water <15' or so. If you're looking for schools of fish or more detail in the deeper water, the traditional sonar is MUCH easier to see/use IMO, which the humminbird has both. Lowrance is great though, just wish I had the option of traditional sonar sometimes..
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:33 am

Let me help you save money and heart burn

DO NOT BUY LOWRANCE

I used to have a lowrance and had to send it back.. there customer service is worst than any word can describe.
I've since brought to 898si and i love them.. never had any issues with them.. but guys have told me that HB customer service is great.. Hopefully I never have to use them.. Their products are plug and play, no need for other stuff. This is just my experience.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

mike_honcho
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mike_honcho » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:32 pm

Great responses, that is exactly the kind of information I was searching for.

SC Bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SC Bassin » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:52 am

Goldrod has hit the nail on the head.

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:35 pm

You might wish to check out the new 360 degree imaging models that are coming out before spending your hard earned cash...beyond impressive...they will make everything else obsolete.

Butane
Angler
Angler

Post by Butane » Tue May 01, 2012 6:24 pm

Considering your criteria, you should go on cabelas website and do a search for 596 c di. Doubt you will beat that price, even without the rebate.

FrancoCialone
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by FrancoCialone » Sun May 06, 2012 2:26 pm

Go with the 597cHD DI, the price and reliability of unit beats Lowrance and it has a great color screen!

teamdaiwa5
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by teamdaiwa5 » Mon May 14, 2012 4:48 pm

I was hung up on buying one of the newer units with down imaging, since I couldn't afford side imaging and wanted to see the newer technology. I gotta be honest, I find myself using the traditional sonar much more often on my Humminbird. I have mine mounted on the bow with a trolling motor transducer mount. The DI picks up the noise from my motor, while the traditional sonar doesn't, even after messing with settings. I think if I was to buy another unit, it would absolutely have side imaging, since I think it would see much more use.

vassman
Angler
Angler

Post by vassman » Wed May 16, 2012 10:02 pm

I'd go the downscan on the lowrance. I use both where i work and find the performance and ease of use of the lowrance to be better than tthan the bird. The new 360' might be worth a look