Login to view all forums

Is the Revo MGX the New Lightweight King?

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Is the Revo MGX the New Lightweight King?

Post by Carlos Carrapiço »

Just my opinion.

The MGX is a finesse baitcaster as much as the Steez. This was really the target.

Cant imagine why anyone compares the MGX with the Pixy. To do such comparison, Abu provided the LTX.

Addressing the drag of the MGX with max at 5 lb, if compared with the 8lb of the Steez or Pixy which have been seriously criticized in past reviews, I calculate that the Steez has 60% more max drag. :-k :shock: :shock: :shock:

More, I use one rule to set the drag in my reels and in my rule the drag should be set to one third of the line braking strength.

5lb of drag is ok to use with 15 lb line. Of course you can always use you finger but at the current price tag on the MGX I expected more.

I would like to see what would be the comments if a Daiwa or Shimano suffered from a jumping screw :-k :-# That would be a fun topic :evil:
blakjack23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by blakjack23 »

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:Just my opinion.

The MGX is a finesse baitcaster as much as the Steez. This was really the target.

Cant imagine why anyone compares the MGX with the Pixy. To do such comparison, Abu provided the LTX.

Addressing the drag of the MGX with max at 5 lb, if compared with the 8lb of the Steez or Pixy which have been seriously criticized in past reviews, I calculate that the Steez has 60% more max drag. :-k :shock: :shock: :shock:

More, I use one rule to set the drag in my reels and in my rule the drag should be set to one third of the line braking strength.

5lb of drag is ok to use with 15 lb line. Of course you can always use you finger but at the current price tag on the MGX I expected more.

I would like to see what would be the comments if a Daiwa or Shimano suffered from a jumping screw :-k :-# That would be a fun topic :evil:

I bet it you took a small, lightweight Shimano or Daiwa on the trip the MGX took you'd have issues with them too. The jumping screw shouldn't be a factor since it won't be a problem when fishing the reel as it was meant to be fished.

I agree though, in no way should the MGX have been compared to the pixy, the MGX wasn't made to compete in that class of finesse.
BigBadBass
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by BigBadBass »

Took the MGX on 6'6" villain out and compared it to Quantum 150 Smoke 7' smoke micro rod and BPS Extreme Reel on cheap 6'6" bps rod. All spooled with 12lb p-line fluoro-mono line. When casting 3/4 ounce plastics w/ jigheads, all the reels distance was pretty similar. When I switched to a 1/4 ounce lure, the MGX shined and out performed significantly the other two as far as casting goes! I was super impressed at how well it is made. Super light!!! I couldn't put it down. I love that reel. Just my two cents on it.
tomassi
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by tomassi »

Hi everybody,
Cal: at first line you wrote:
Introduction: Recently on both our discussion forum and Facebook fan page, we published a list of reels in line for a review and asked readers to vote on which reels they'd like to see written up first.
Would you say where I can find this list? I will be grateful.
USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET »

tomassi wrote:Hi everybody,
Cal: at first line you wrote:
Introduction: Recently on both our discussion forum and Facebook fan page, we published a list of reels in line for a review and asked readers to vote on which reels they'd like to see written up first.
Would you say where I can find this list? I will be grateful.
http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=38388
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><
africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass »

blakjack23 wrote:

I bet it you took a small, lightweight Shimano or Daiwa on the trip the MGX took you'd have issues with them too. The jumping screw shouldn't be a factor since it won't be a problem when fishing the reel as it was meant to be fished.

I agree though, in no way should the MGX have been compared to the pixy, the MGX wasn't made to compete in that class of finesse.
The Steez is 'Amazon certified'
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewmegabassis73.html
Attachments
pictmbsteezis7326.jpg
pictmbsteezis7326.jpg (136.25 KiB) Viewed 4984 times
Happiness is a sore thumb
blakjack23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by blakjack23 »

africanbass wrote:
blakjack23 wrote:

For $800+ that thing should be "world certified." And even at close to 3 x the price of an MGX it still got a lower rating. :lol:
SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ »

blakjack23 wrote:
africanbass wrote:
blakjack23 wrote:

For $800+ that thing should be "world certified." And even at close to 3 x the price of an MGX it still got a lower rating. :lol:
The point is a regular steez which doesn't cost 800 didn't have the issues the MGX had in the Amazon. Yes, the MGX is cheaper than the Steez and it really is a nice performer but a Steez it is not..Personally, I felt the extra money for a Steez is worth it over the MGX.
blakjack23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by blakjack23 »

I thought there was only one issue?

I just don't think its right to review something out of its intended purpose and say its bad because of that. Same goes for comparing it against the Pixy in the review.

I never said the MGX is better than a Steez. Personally I don't think it is. I think for the price the MGX is one sweet reel though.
Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço »

blakjack23 wrote:I thought there was only one issue?

I just don't think its right to review something out of its intended purpose and say its bad because of that. Same goes for comparing it against the Pixy in the review.

I never said the MGX is better than a Steez. Personally I don't think it is. I think for the price the MGX is one sweet reel though.
I just want to point out that with 5lb of drag there aren't many ways to put stress in the gears even fighting huge fish. More, as far as I know, the choppers and other Amazon typical lures are animated with the rod and the reel is used for picking up line, so not to much stress there. The situation where the reel can be stressed is in the initial pull when jerking. Other than this, the reel would just be in relax mode.

Last, the Lee,s reel went and came back from the Amazon trip like a champ. It has the same construction design which leads me to think that the MGX may suffer from a real problem.

BTW, other reel that made to the Amazon river and came back without scars: http://tackletour.com/reviewscorpiondc7.html

Incredible, it scored less than the MGX. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A »

Just a quick update on my max drag tests:

1. You may want to check your drag washers to confirm there is no oil or grease. Clean and dry if necessary.

AND

2. GENTLY turning/twisting the drag star, one click at a time --- you will know when you reach the limit --- I was able to lock it down pretty securely and reached a point where I was popping 16lb test line.

My confidence has been restored for heavier applications.

I recall there was a thread here on TT regarding the screw coming loose and causing the cast control sideplate to slip off. Someone may want to check it out. Since that time I have always checked it before starting the fishing day and double checking during the day.
Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa »

Johnny A wrote:Just a quick update on my max drag tests:

1. You may want to check your drag washers to confirm there is no oil or grease. Clean and dry if necessary.

AND

2. GENTLY turning/twisting the drag star, one click at a time --- you will know when you reach the limit --- I was able to lock it down pretty securely and reached a point where I was popping 16lb test line.

I recall there was a thread here on TT regarding the screw coming loose and causing the cast control sideplate to slip off. Someone may want to check it out. Since that time I have always checked it before starting the fishing day and double checking during the day.
I thought greased drags had a lower breakaway impulse force, but the steady state max drag was the same. :?:

Why would the force or rate of tightening down the drag star affect the max drag limit?

Something doesn't add up...
blakjack23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by blakjack23 »

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
blakjack23 wrote:I thought there was only one issue?

I just want to point out that with 5lb of drag there aren't many ways to put stress in the gears even fighting huge fish. More, as far as I know, the choppers and other Amazon typical lures are animated with the rod and the reel is used for picking up line, so not to much stress there. The situation where the reel can be stressed is in the initial pull when jerking. Other than this, the reel would just be in relax mode.

Last, the Lee,s reel went and came back from the Amazon trip like a champ. It has the same construction design which leads me to think that the MGX may suffer from a real problem.

BTW, other reel that made to the Amazon river and came back without scars: http://tackletour.com/reviewscorpiondc7.html

Incredible, it scored less than the MGX. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Actually Cal said the reel does take an unusual beating in the amazon. From the review.... "Working peacock lures puts incredible strain on the frames of your reels" and "the pace at which you work these reels really puts unusual and extreme strain on your equipment".

To each their own, but like I said before I personally don't believe a screw coming loose on a reel (possibly by the users thumb) in a situation the reel wasn't intented to be used for is a real problem. I don't believe the screw lock is the best design, but I don't think it will be a problem for the majority of people who purchase an MGX.

Other people have encountered the screw coming loose on older gen revo's, does that mean they all have real problems too?
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A »

Tokugawa wrote:
Johnny A wrote:Just a quick update on my max drag tests:

AND

I thought greased drags had a lower breakaway impulse force, but the steady state max drag was the same. :?:

Why would the force or rate of tightening down the drag star affect the max drag limit?

Something doesn't add up...

It doesn't affect the max drag. I was only recommending people use caution when they set the drag as tight as far down as it will go. I didn't want people to damage their drags while tightening it down to the limit.
damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass »

blakjack23 wrote:

It is an issue. Mind that I don't side with brands when it comes to reels and rods, first and foremost.....lures I am ;) I do agree with you that it was used for something it was't intended for but what happens if you catch a 40"+ Musky trying to bass fish? Or snag a catfish and the reel fails you....You never know what will be at the end of that line when something is pulling hard. I fish lakes where there are toothy critters and last thing I want is a reel that failed on me.

Anyway, although my SX is nowhere near the price tag and/or sofisticated as the MGX....I've used my SX for bass fishing and yes the screw as come loose before....it even caused a huge birdsnest when the screw completely came loose and the spool and side plate shifted....Even at the price tag of $150 for my SX I shouldn't have to always check this screw....This is why my SX sits at home more than any other reels I own.

We as fishermen are out there to fish and not have to check such petty things that doesn't need to be checked such as this side plate holding screw. Hell would break loose if this where to happen to Shimano or Diawa and everyone will be pointing and laughing.....You can't say that this won't happen or this won't be true.

Just imagine what ish Diawa would get if the Type R had a side plate issue, better yet the newer T3...If the curado's had side plate issues.....You can't lie that the haters will hate even more. ;)
I will NEVER sell another 3:16 swimbait again!