What the... Finesse Alphas?

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal »

Introduction: It's been almost eight years since we published our very first Enthusiast Tackle review. Eight long years of fishing some of the best the tackle industry has to offer. Do you recall the subject of our first, published enthusiast tackle review? It was the original, and now legendary Daiwa Alphas.

Complete Article: http://tackletour.com/reviewdaiwaalphasfinesse.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"
mike_honcho
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What the... Finesse Alphas?

Post by mike_honcho »

I hope it was not a miss print but in one of the captions you said "Courtesy of phoenix recon cranking stick". So I am assuming that there is going to be a recon cranking line in the near future. \:D/
USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET »

Great article. Yes a sad day when the Alphas 103 went away. My first JDM purchase, and like a first kiss, one I'll always remember fondly :D
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><
Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa »

...for my money, bring the original Petite Purple Powerhouse back and I'll be happy.
THIS!
bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey »

Tokugawa wrote:
...for my money, bring the original Petite Purple Powerhouse back and I'll be happy.
THIS!
X2.
QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE »

from article:

"I commented my ability to reach distances of roughly forty feet with a 3g finesse jig on this combo. That was an on-the-water estimate. Back at TT HQ, I tried again for a more quantitative measurement and can confirm distances of closer to thirty feet. This was with all casting brakes turned off and the spool tension knob backed off so the spool barely stops wobbling side to side."
---------------

Makes my 2003 $70 Pinnacle seem all the better cause its able to get measured10'-13' farther with an even lighter 2.3g lure. This after forgetting it leaving it on top of my vehicle then seeing the rod/reel go sliding across the pavement 45mph.
Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 »

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:from article:

"I commented my ability to reach distances of roughly forty feet with a 3g finesse jig on this combo. That was an on-the-water estimate. Back at TT HQ, I tried again for a more quantitative measurement and can confirm distances of closer to thirty feet. This was with all casting brakes turned off and the spool tension knob backed off so the spool barely stops wobbling side to side."
---------------

Makes my 2003 $70 Pinnacle seem all the better cause its able to get measured10'-13' farther with an even lighter 2.3g lure. This after forgetting it leaving it on top of my vehicle then seeing the rod/reel go sliding across the pavement 45mph.

:^o
QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE »

Finnz922 wrote:

---------------

A person with lesser baitcasting abilities would find it improbable. Please dont project your lack of skill with a baitcaster onto others. :talk hand:
Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 »

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Finnz922 wrote:

---------------

A person with lesser baitcasting abilities would find it improbable. Please dont project your lack of skill with a baitcaster onto others. :talk hand:
Very impressive if what you say is true, no doubt. Just very skeptical because of how heavy spools were in most brands of reels back in the day of you casting 50-some feet with a around a 3/32 ounce lure. If you don't mind what model Pinnacle is it that you made this cast with? Rod and line weight too if you remember?
Dragboatdriver
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dragboatdriver »

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:from article: Makes my 2003 $70 Pinnacle seem all the better cause its able to get measured10'-13' farther with an even lighter 2.3g lure. This after forgetting it leaving it on top of my vehicle then seeing the rod/reel go sliding across the pavement 45mph.

I would love to hear what rod and line you are using as well. I also would love to see a video of this. Sounds like you are getting results comparable to top shelf BFS equipment.

Looks like I wasted a lot of money :doh:
zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zenbassr »

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:Makes my 2003 $70 Pinnacle seem all the better cause its able to get measured10'-13' farther with an even lighter 2.3g lure.
so are you stating that it's the performance of the $70 reel that makes the difference?

and that you reached this conclusion based on a "comparison" where:

the anglers
the reels
the rods
the fishing line
the locations

are all DIFFERENT? :lol:

obviously not everyone has access to lab conditions but at the very least can't we stay within the definition of "scientific method"?

when just about all the variables are different i'm not sure what benefit you get from these observations...
QUAKEnSHAKE wrote: A person with lesser baitcasting abilities would find it improbable. Please dont project your lack of skill with a baitcaster onto others.
hold on... so it's not the &70 reel, it's actually the individual's baitcasting abilities that made the difference? :doh:

hopefully we see a vid of what it takes to get a $70 reel to outcast a $400 reel using 2.3g!
QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE »

Well a video not going to happen so dont believe, dont.

Where did 50 some feet come from??? I never said that, I get around 40 feet with fairly good accuracy.
Rod 7' Quantum Smoke rod M/F and line 10#pps8s, lure SK bitsy minnow actual weight 0.0823oz, 2.336g
With a LTB 6'9"MLXF Im around 36'

The reference from my first quote a 3g finesse jig(actual weight not given) was used and in article a 6'10" rod rating 3/32-1oz with a good backbone 10# 832.

What distance do you guys get with small crankbaits? Do you throw them often and practice a lot? While my kids play Ill go in the backyard and throw for a couple hrs at a time practicing to get better at it and no I dont think Im the best or anywheres near. I feel I can get even more out of the reel with a better suited rod.
Last edited by QUAKEnSHAKE on Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Gblaze »

Seems people are getting all bent out of shape regarding numbers - but everybody posting is struggling with the math - :lol:
30 feet plus 10-12 feet = 40-42 feet
That does not equate 50 nor does it equal 36

Id like to see the pinnacle cast 40 feet with that weight, to do it you might be right it is heavily dependent on the caster

That is the method of casting probably looks a lot like this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSKjAIb ... ata_player :lol: :lol: :big grin:
Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Gblaze »

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE »

Gblaze wrote:Seems people are getting all bent out of shape regarding numbers - but everybody posting is struggling with the math - :lol:
30 feet plus 10-12 feet = 40-42 feet
That does not equate 50 nor does it equal 36

Id like to see the pinnacle cast 40 feet with that weight, to do it you might be right it is heavily dependent on the caster

That is the method of casting probably looks a lot like this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSKjAIb ... ata_player :lol: :lol: :big grin:
The 36' is with LTB rod, 40' with Smoke rod & 2-1/2 pirouettes