The REVOlution Continues, Abu Garcia’s New Gen 3 Premier

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

The REVOlution Continues, Abu Garcia’s New Gen 3 Premier

Post by Zander » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:10 am

The REVOlution Continues, Abu Garcia’s New Gen 3 Premier Baitcaster

Introduction: Abu Garcia updates their Revo Series for a third time? It seems like just yesterday that the company was tweaking their original design but sure enough rather than resting on their laurels the team at Abu is looking to capitalize on their momentum with yet another update to their popular line of low profile baitcasters. The Generation 3 Revo Premier is at the top of the range in this updated series and features a lighter, more compact design that employs both aluminum and carbon elements to successfully dip below the 6oz. barrier. Does Abu sacrifice other areas in the pursuit for an overall lighter package? It is time to find out as we present our first review of a Gen 3 Revo reel, and why not start right at the top?

Complete Review: http://tackletour.com/reviewabugarciare ... emier.html

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: The REVOlution Continues, Abu Garcia’s New Gen 3 Premier

Post by Johnny A » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:27 am

Good review. The IVCB took some time but eventually grew on me. Overall, a fine piece of equipment.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Here we go again

Post by Pegasus » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:43 am

Just read the review on TT for the 3rd generation Revos. I for one don't understand why there is so much praise for this reel.
I have tried both the Premier and the STX they are by no means smooth. A friend of mine couldn't stop talking about
how great they were ,well he had to return both one for gear failure and the other for noticeable wear.
I wasn't surprised when the review mentioned the same wear. I think that is probably why they built the lubing port hole because they anticipate
the loss of smoothness something that never happened when they had brass gears.
I read a post not too long ago how the member couldn't help but feel that the great reviews on TT were partially responsible for the success of the Revo line.

Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Here we go again

Post by Quillback » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:08 am

When you say they aren't smooth - what are you comparing them too? Reels at the same price point?

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

3rd generation revo reviews

Post by Pegasus » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:48 am

Just read the review about the 3rd generation revo on TT. For one I don't understand why there was so much praise for this reel
They are by no means smooth and the big gear bulge. I have fished both a friend of mine couldn't stop talking about how great they were, well he had to return both one for gear failure and the other for noticeable wear.
I wasn't surprised when the review mentioned similar gear wear.
That is probably why they come with the lube port hole, they anticipate the reel will loose smoothness early.
Something that didn't happened when they had brass gears
I read a post not too long where the member couldn't help but feel that the great reviews on TT was partially responsible
for the success of the Revo line

lil_man72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lil_man72 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:33 pm

i'd say he's comparing them to reels in general. i'm a revo fan, that is the gen2 revo's. i waited for these to arrive and wasn't impressed. i'm waiting to see if these reels improve in the next generation. my older premiers feel smoother now than they did when new.
i also can't get over the huge gear box. it's right in the way of the tips of my fingers the way i palm the reel.

Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Quillback » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:14 am

I haven't noticed a lack of smoothness in my Gen 3 STX, but I'll try and pay a little more attention next time I fish it. It may be less smooth than a Gen 2 Premier, but again, when people say it's not smooth, I'd like to know what specific reel they are comparing it to. Just saying it's "not smooth" is very subjective, and is worthless as far as a review.

Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 3rd generation revo reviews

Post by Quillback » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:21 am

I'm of the opinion that my Gen 3 STX is a great reel in comparison to other $199 MSRP reels. I'm going fishing today and I'm going to try and remember to compare the "smoothness" between it and one of my Gen 2 Premiers. But I feel it smoother than any of my Zillions or green Curados.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:47 am

Your post is a bit confusing. You said someone had to return "both" reels and you refer to apparently having fished some Gen3 reels. Can you be more specific about what reels you're referring to?

The gear case bulge is still something I have never heard an actual owner complain about. Like the review said, I'm sure there will be some actual owners that might have an issue with it, but I'd bet it's a tiny, tiny percentage, based on all the feedback I've read about them so far. It sure does not bother me on my G3 STX.

But remember that nobody is forcing you to buy one. And the jury is still out on the Gen3 line, as far as I'm concerned. There are lots of great choices out there besides the Revo line.

EDIT: Looks like this thread is running in two forums!

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Here we go again

Post by jeb » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:52 am

Pegasus wrote:Just read the review on TT for the 3rd generation Revos. I for one don't understand why there is so much praise for this reel.
I have tried both the Premier and the STX they are by no means smooth. A friend of mine couldn't stop talking about
how great they were ,well he had to return both one for gear failure and the other for noticeable wear.
I wasn't surprised when the review mentioned the same wear. I think that is probably why they built the lubing port hole because they anticipate
the loss of smoothness something that never happened when they had brass gears.
I read a post not too long ago how the member couldn't help but feel that the great reviews on TT were partially responsible for the success of the Revo line.
Your post is a bit confusing. You said someone had to return "both" reels and you refer to apparently having fished some Gen3 reels. Can you be more specific about what reels you're referring to?

The gear case bulge is still something I have never heard an actual owner complain about. Like the review said, I'm sure there will be some actual owners that might have an issue with it, but I'd bet it's a tiny, tiny percentage, based on all the feedback I've read about them so far. It sure does not bother me on my G3 STX.

But remember that nobody is forcing you to buy one. And the jury is still out on the Gen3 line, as far as I'm concerned. There are lots of great choices out there besides the Revo line.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:11 am

Jeb
I know nobody is forcing me to buy anything that is not the issue.
The two reels I am talking about is a Premier gear wear and an STX gear failure, look I fished both reels and they are nothing
compared to Gen 2 especially the Premier. Both reels felt gritty with a definite gear noise I cant explain it.
One thing is for sure when the Revos had brass gears they were a different animal worth the money now I don't know.
But you are correct nobody is forcing anybody to buy anything.
Last edited by Pegasus on Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:19 am

Quillback wrote:I'm of the opinion that my Gen 3 STX is a great reel in comparison to other $199 MSRP reels. I'm going fishing today and I'm going to try and remember to compare the "smoothness" between it and one of my Gen 2 Premiers. But I feel it smoother than any of my Zillions or green Curados.
Please lets not compare the smoothness of the Zillion to the STX there must be something wrong with your Zillion.

Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Quillback » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:26 am

Pegasus wrote:
Quillback wrote:I'm of the opinion that my Gen 3 STX is a great reel in comparison to other $199 MSRP reels. I'm going fishing today and I'm going to try and remember to compare the "smoothness" between it and one of my Gen 2 Premiers. But I feel it smoother than any of my Zillions or green Curados.
Please lets not compare the smoothness of the Zillion to the STX there must be something wrong with your Zillion.
Well I'm making a concrete comparison rather than offering a meaningless opinion. Sorry, but IMO my STX IS smoother than the Zillions. I've also fished them both quite extensively and am not offering my opinion based on fishing a friends for a few minutes or handling a display model in a store.

runmax08
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by runmax08 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:46 am

I still use the original STXs and their still very smooth. I also have a zillion, tdz and conquest in my portfolio. My only concern with the new ones would be their light weight and still have 18lbs of drag pressure. Only time will tell. "Also", i wonder if there will be a price reduction at year end............?

rangerjoe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rangerjoe » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:50 am

I own and fished a Gen 3 STX 6:4-1 gear ratio since September and love the reel. I also own several Zillions, and so far the Revo is as smooth as the Zillions IMO.