Introducing TackleTour's FPI-Fluorocarbon Performance Index

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Introducing TackleTour's FPI-Fluorocarbon Performance Index

Post by Cal »

Introducing TackleTour's FPI - Fluorocarbon Performance Index

Introduction: In case you hadn't noticed, we've been in a bit of a hibernation mode regarding line reviews. With our acquisition of The Machine, we're looking to change that starting right now. Over the last several weeks, we've been in deliberations back at TT Headquarters developing a method of testing line, evaluating data, and translating all the results into something meaningful. Our primary goal? A repeatable and quantifiable method of rating fishing line.

Complete Article : http://tackletour.com/reviewfpiintro.html
Bladerunner808
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

FPI is going to ruffle some feathers...

Post by Bladerunner808 »

Can't wait until all types of line get put through this wringer. It's why I love TackleTour!
lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: FPI is going to ruffle some feathers...

Post by lpquick »

All the tests in the world won’t let you know when the line gets bent over itself and crimps, even though it feels fine and looks OK, it snaps like a twig under minimal tension. I can’t even double the line through the eye of the hook when tying a palomar knot, half the time it snaps when checking the knot for strength. Until they fix the elasticity issue with Fluo carbon I’ll continue to catch fish using old reliable mono. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat »

I'm looking forward to some measurable data and am most interested how Toray and Sunline compare to the more moderately priced fluoro lines.
angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Introducing TackleTour's FPI-Fluorocarbon Performance In

Post by angry john »

Nice, i love the new material and am excited to see the first round of data. =D>
steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 »

I love the line data, as its many times the biggest "secret" of the fishing industry. For what it's worth, however, I don't like to see a line penalized for its labeling (JDM/class line will rule the category for nothing other than a mind-set) and I'd like to see tensile strength (strength vs. area/diameter) brought back, as I find this the most important measurement of strength, regarding line.

PS: Maybe some of that info is in their (graph not text) regarding MS and KS? Material strength? Knotted Strength?
Last edited by steve1206 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
mundo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mundo »

It is great to hear that you developed a new method to test and rate fishing lines! It will take out most of the subjectivity on line testing.

Looking at the chart and reading the text I do not understand what MS and KS stand for, could you further explain?

Thanks

Mundo
steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 »

Maybe material strength and knotted strength?
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal »

The explanation of the strength component of the formula got lost somehow... We'll get that corrected shortly.
Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye »

I welcome this ambitious undertaking. Line advertising has been almost unchecked since Berkley bought Stren, and nonstandardized labeling makes it hard for most anglers to make comparisons.

I am surprised by an aspect of your rating system. The explanation of the new rating system states, with regard to parallel spooling of the line, that

"This minimizes instances of pinching, folding, creasing, and any other deformities each of which can affect everything from the strength of your line to how well it casts. This indication of quality is...worth 5 points in our FPI."

Do you have research data to validate those assertions? If so, I hope you will share that with us, as I have never noted that with nylon monofilaments. The only parallel-spooled nylon monos I have tested, both by Sufix, have considerably lower tensile strengths than many normally-spooled nylon monos. I have never encountered a folded line on a spool, or found a section of line pinched between other coils on the supply spool that tested weaker than the rest of the line.

By "creasing," I imagine you are referring to the slight tight waviness that line can have off the spool when it is not parallel-wound. But isn't parallel-wound line going to acquire those waves upon transfer to a spool of a spinning or baitcasting reel? Do you have comparative casting data to substantiate that lines cast better if they came from a parallel-laid spool? For all I know, crinkled lines could interrupt line-to-guide friction and produce longer casts. (Just watch--now the next Best-of-Show line at ICast will come pre-crinkled and be marketed as a low-friction breakthrough! :D )

What are the other "everythings" between the strength of the line and how well it casts that are affected by "pinching, folding, creasing, and other deformities" supposedly caused by traditional line-spooling, and what data demonstrates the negative effects?

One of the lines for which you showed a score would have improved about 10 percent in points if not for the hit it took for not being parallel-wound. If you have empirical data to demonstrate that parallel winding really does enhance strength, castability, and other unspecified properties, your upcoming reports would gain credibility if you shared that. If not, since you haven't really started publishing ratings yet, this would be the perfect time to chuck the 5-point hit. Just trying to be helpful, as I anticipate that many other members will be as interested as I am to see what you find out about the many fluorocarbon lines out there.
Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Boondock »

Can't wait to read these! Last week I was just reading the old flourocarbon articles

Hurry and post them :P
Eric Walsh
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Eric Walsh »

This is great news - should be a lot of work - thanks for taking the plunge! Buying line these days is perhaps the most
difficult task in fishing. I know what I like in rods and reels as well as lures, but line choices are endless nowadays and
the prices make wrong decisions costly. :doh: I am super stoked to read the data. =D>
zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 »

I want to see how Sunline fluorocarbons fare against the machine! A little surprised by Abrazx abrasion resistance, especially given it name...
hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob »

I like it. This is long over due. It's myth buster, TT style. \:D/

Keep up the good works. =D>
bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit »

I don't see how this will change anything. Who says belief has to be supported by facts? :)

Seriously, I am interested to see each of the lines compare to one another. I am not a huge flourocarbon guy but I'd like to see some actual data around here for a change.