Bait the Finesse?!? Shimano -v- Daiwa Product Insight

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
NYBASSIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: latest reel comparison

Post by NYBASSIN » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:28 am

So the spool tension is on the palming side plate? What were they adjusting with the little wrench thing?

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zenbassr » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:38 am

NYBASSIN wrote:So the spool tension is on the palming side plate? What were they adjusting with the little wrench thing?
loosely translated, part #21 in the schematic is the cover for the lubrication port (there's a spool bearing that sits underneath)

runmax08
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by runmax08 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:03 am

300.00 dollar price differential........Price does make a difference...IMO

Fastfish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fastfish » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:24 am

The comparison should be tossed out due to the reveiwer's(I knew about the spool tension knob just from the Japan Tackle write up)lack of knowledge of the reel he was comparing, I was excited about the Aldebaran BFS some of the innovation that this reel brings to the table is greatness as was the Calcutta we as consumers want this type of innovation to continue I'll continue to buy Daiwa Reels the T3 platform does nothing for me but it is the design innovation again that pushes and inspires the future reels.

Fastfish

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:19 am

zenbassr wrote:
Bass Junkie wrote:It's still a $500 reel that you can't adjust without removing the handle and drag star....
wrong... the cast control cap (that red piece in the pic below) can be adjusted w/ your fingers:

instead of being on the handle side as with most reels, the cast control was moved to the brake side.

folks just need to get familiar w/ their equipment before posting up on the forum [-X
That makes a lot more sense.
From the reel comparison I came away thinking the spool tension knob was the one on the handle side that had to be adjusted with the Shimano wrench in the photos.
Having both spool tension and centrifugal brake adjustments on the same side is not a bad idea, as long as both are easily accessible.
I do tend to adjust the spool tension often, depending on both the weight of the lure and the wind, so I would want the spool tension to be an easy adjustment.

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Bait the Finesse?!? Shimano -v- Daiwa Product Insight

Post by hobobob » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:47 pm

Angry mob, check.
buckets of tar, check.
goose feathers. check.
Now where's my pitch fork. :lol:

Sign
shimano fan boy #2

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:29 pm

I want a recount !

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:45 pm

BucketHunter wrote:I want a recount !
Geez. We give you people new Scientificalagistic Performance Graphs from the new lab. We're trying to take you unappreciative rednecks into the Modern Age of Impressivity. It ain't our fault that...

...we neglected to turn on the lab's lights when we did the Shimano part of the review.

We should have listened to Keiko. She actually looked at the specs, and cast it. Then Cal made her put on the Santa suit and look like a silly billy. Ironic, in retrospect.
hobobob wrote:Very amused mob, check...
Fixed.

C'mon, TT team...who loves you more than us (other than Daiwa sales reps. They do not count). I just dialed back a few Leap Years and assumed this was an April Fool's joke.

The real victim here? Bantam1. The poor dude gets more probable cause that TT is out to get him, and it isn't even a Shimano reel available in the US.

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:46 pm

ruh roh.

8-)

Jayce
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jayce » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:26 pm

Tokugawa wrote:That's interesting. Does it rotate like a normal cast control knob?
Yup it does.
It can be a little tricky thou. While I was playing around with the reel at the shop I accidentaly openned up
the side plate. Good thing I have a good grip on the reel or else im in trouble. :lol:

I tried also to move the other end where the normal cast control used to be and I cant move it.
They dont want me to try the spanner tool coz I might scratch the finish.

NormanD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NormanD » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:47 pm

After reading the review, I thought that Shimano was losing their mind. First, the Calcutta D has to be disassembled to change the brakes and now the Aldebaran BFS has to have the handle and drag star removed to adjust the tension. I am relieved after reading that the spool tension knob is on the off handle side. Why didn't that get mentioned in the review?

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:16 pm

You didn't read the end note.

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:01 pm

Jayce wrote:
Tokugawa wrote:That's interesting. Does it rotate like a normal cast control knob?
Yup it does.
It can be a little tricky thou. While I was playing around with the reel at the shop I accidentaly openned up
the side plate. Good thing I have a good grip on the reel or else im in trouble. :lol:

I tried also to move the other end where the normal cast control used to be and I cant move it.
They dont want me to try the spanner tool coz I might scratch the finish.
? :lol: The nut is tightened. No. You can't move it. That is the awesome thing about tightened nuts, ain't it? We generally want them to stay tight. To the point of needing to use tools to loosen them. When they are tight, and the cast control is also tight, you get predictable behaviors like 3 second free spool times.

I cannot tell if you own this reel? If not...check this out:

The shop may not want you to use the tool because they prefer people to buy reels prior to disassembling them.

If you have purchased it, then right off the bat, i congratulate you, sir. You own a freakin great reel that, unlike the T3 Air, can be used to target more than just six inch brown trout in distilled water without fear of the spool crushing inward like a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon on my forehead.

When using the tool as described in the simple instruction sheet (i am betting the daiwa 3-D mag instruction sheet is rated much higher) you will not scratch the finish. The tool is plastic. The nut is metal. If you have a bad seizure, or perhaps make seizure-like back and forth motions with your hand, and begin rubbing the tool as hard as you can across the reel, then yes dude: you will scratch it. But if we get to this point, friend, I am gonna say this reel is too much for you. Send it to me: I will never do that deal with my hand while holding any reel.

Somewhere, Keiko is trying on an Easter Bunny suit and she is laughing. Jesus wept, folks. I know it is just the Internet and it is just fishing but...come on.

NormanD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NormanD » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:39 pm

Well, actually I read the review prior to the end note. I am glad that it was added. My faith is fully restored.

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:49 pm

Bronzeye wrote:You didn't read the end note.
Which is relevant enough to much of the grading and observations, which were neither changed nor clarified.

While what I posted in the Review section is light hearted, the net of it is that the review was massively biased.