A Shining Star Amidst a Milkyway of Reels: The Antares

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

A Shining Star Amidst a Milkyway of Reels: The Antares

Post by Cal »

A Shining Star Amidst a Milkyway of Reels: The Antares by Shimano

Introduction: Just about every reel manufacturer has what can be referred to as their flagship products. More often than not, this is their most expensive reel in each category for which they make a product. In the case of low profile baitcasting reels, Daiwa has the Steez, Abu Garcia has the Premier and so on. Whenever a manufacturer debuts a new technology, usually this debut is made in their flagship and in following years, they trickle this technology down. Shimano Japan's flagship low profile baitcasting line is the Antares (USDM Calais). In 2012, this reel was updated a new set of casting brakes, new gears, and the company's already well integrated X-Ship. Here now is our look at the 2012 Antares by Shimano.

Complete Article: http://tackletour.com/reviewshimantares.html
tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: A Shining Star Amidst a Milkyway of Reels: The Antares

Post by tywithay »

Great review. This reel became expensive for me, because once I handled one I had to buy a second one.
jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb »

Good review, Cal. Nice to know all the differences from the Calais reel.

Just a constructive suggestion, though. You might want to proof read the article again. I found several uncharacteristic for TT errors.
metanium
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by metanium »

I also lost interest in the Calais/Antares years ago for the reasons you stated in the article. I owned a previous Antares model and while it was smooth and built like a tank, it was also pretty heavy. After a while, I stopped using it and sold it.

It looks like there may be enough reason to reconsider the new Antares.

Great review.
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits »

No worm bearing on the flagship reel? C'mon shimano! :D

I want one.
Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain »

Great review, I really want one now.
karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

No comments on the Antares review?

Post by karirick »

Thought I would see a bunch of comments already? Either the reel is so spendy most of us don't have it, or it's such a darn good reel it didn't need a review to say it's great? Pretty gushy review and I want one more than ever now. Anyone else??

Rick
tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: No comments on the Antares review?

Post by tywithay »

I already commented, but I agree with the review. Best casting, and smoothest, reel I've ever used. Only rival being the Z2020. I bought an HG and used it twice, then immediately bought another in the low gear. I saw one on ebay the other day that sold for about $260...still kicking myself. The only con I've found is line capacity. That wouldn't be an issue if it didn't cast so well.
Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth »

They are great, not much more to say. I ordered two more the other day and didn't really consider other reels. I have the deep spool for my lighter swimbait set ups ( <6oz ) and feel that I have all of the capacity I need.
Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin »

I am torn between the new Antares and a Conquest 101 DC for my Black Elseil.
cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter »

The new Antares is great and has all the do dad features but it's still pretty large. The new conquest is just mind blowing... It's the new Shimano king. Lighter, smoother, stronger and just wished it had faster ratios too. Mine is paired with an Elsiel.
ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long »

The Antares can actually handle lighter baits than you would think, that thing has a darn light spool.

If only it could sit lower on the rod and have a swept handle.

I think the review came in a bit too late. There's no way TT could miss the new features that was on the Antares back in 2012 (Micro Module, SVS...etc.), I assume the review was late due to it being available in Japan.

The old TT used to do JP exclusive reels, I don't buy the "paid little attention because someone thought it's the same old heavy design" thing, I believe it's more to please Shimano North America than anything to not review the Antares two years ago. There's no way you can miss the specs (lighter spool, new braking system, new gear design, X-Ship, line out angle, newly designed line guide...etc). Heck even the handle was specially made despite it's not swept.

I do agree the new CQ is a phenomenal reel but I still believe the Antares can outcast it. Funny thing, I find the new CQ to have better palming characteristics than the Antares.
Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain »

ah_long wrote:The Antares can actually handle lighter baits than you would think, that thing has a darn light spool.

If only it could sit lower on the rod and have a swept handle.

I think the review came in a bit too late. There's no way TT could miss the new features that was on the Antares back in 2012 (Micro Module, SVS...etc.), I assume the review was late due to it being available in Japan.

The old TT used to do JP exclusive reels, I don't buy the "paid little attention because someone thought it's the same old heavy design" thing, I believe it's more to please Shimano North America than anything to not review the Antares two years ago. There's no way you can miss the specs (lighter spool, new braking system, new gear design, X-Ship, line out angle, newly designed line guide...etc). Heck even the handle was specially made despite it's not swept.

I do agree the new CQ is a phenomenal reel but I still believe the Antares can outcast it. Funny thing, I find the new CQ to have better palming characteristics than the Antares.
I know TT favors Daiwas and its their money and they can buy whatever they choose, but yeah, when the biggest player in the game comes out with an all new flagship reel you would figure that a site dedicated to tackle would be one of the first in line to try it instead of waiting 2 years. Still its better late than never.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 »

Bootytrain wrote:I know TT favors Daiwas and its their money and they can buy whatever they choose, but yeah, when the biggest player in the game comes out with an all new flagship reel you would figure that a site dedicated to tackle would be one of the first in line to try it instead of waiting 2 years. Still its better late than never.
You do realize that the Z review took a "long" time, relative to its release, no?

I have held the New Antares and agree that it palms "as big" as a Z...sweet reel overall, although I would still choose the new CQ vs the lower gear ratio model Antares.
Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain »

dragon1 wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:I know TT favors Daiwas and its their money and they can buy whatever they choose, but yeah, when the biggest player in the game comes out with an all new flagship reel you would figure that a site dedicated to tackle would be one of the first in line to try it instead of waiting 2 years. Still its better late than never.
You do realize that the Z review took a "long" time, relative to its release, no?

I have held the New Antares and agree that it palms "as big" as a Z...sweet reel overall, although I would still choose the new CQ vs the lower gear ratio model Antares.
I'm referring to when the reel was actually purchased. His review of the ryoga 1016 came long after it was purchased for example.