A Stark Contrast in Fishing Line : Berkley's Iron Silk

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:17 pm

Introduction: What comes to your mind when you think of a "monofilament" fishing line? Usually, it's something clear, or even translucent if colored, correct? Well, Berkley Fishing's Ironsilk is marketed as a monofilament, but instead of being clear or translucent, it's 100% opaque - and a strange, kind of milky green color at that. Ironsilk won "Best Fishing Line" at the 2014 ICAST show, so we thought decided to take a closer look to see if it's as strong and smooth as its name suggests.

Complete Article: http://tackletour.com/reviewberkleyironsilk.html

Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: A Stark Contrast in Fishing Line : Berkley's Iron Silk

Post by 108642 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:34 am

Hi,
I appreciate this review.
Thanks

Paul Shibata
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: A Stark Contrast in Fishing Line : Berkley's Iron Silk

Post by Paul Shibata » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:38 am

As a long time member, I am reasonably pleased to see a concerted effort to objectively compare many of the products that we are so passionate about. However in an effort to sincerely separate marketing claims from factual information the angling community would be better served if quantitative data was used more frequently. Undoubtedly subjective evaluations are necessary when objective measurements are not possible (eg. rod sensitivity) however line testing and evaluations should be predominately based on quantitative measurements and statistical analysis. It certainly contradicts scientific method to accurately measure the rupture point of fishing lines only to apply a "score" using the data as a guide. As Joe Friday said ...."just the facts ma'am"

The application of some basic statistical analysis (anova), including the actual testing methods and sample size would allow your readers to better educate themselves and assist in their purchases. I would also encourage you to correct your usage of the word "tensile strength" when rupture point of breaking point are the appropriate terms given the units included in some of your data. Tensile strength as measured in psi or kg/mm2 reflects the maximum force applied per cross sectional area. All of that said an on-going list of the tensile strengths of the lines tested may prove to be the most useful data derived from your testing equipment. Doing so would allow anglers to select fishing lines based in part on the "true" strength of the material employed in the lines tested irrespective of line diameter or advertised pound test. Brand "X" has a tensile strength of 110kg/mm2 and Brand "Y" has a tensile strength of 85kg/mm2 regardless if 4lb test or 20lb test was evaluated. Clearly Brand X is much "stronger".

In the interests of time I was frank in my comments, please recognize that no disrespect was intended. Rather, I hope that my thoughts serve as a contribution to your exceptional site, one which I visit multiple times daily. As they say if I didn't care I wouldn't say anything.

Thank you,