Fishing Drones Have Arrived: The Ludicrous PowerRay, a Fishing Drone that Uses Sonar and 4K Video to Catch Fish

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fishing Drones Have Arrived: The Ludicrous PowerRay, a Fishing Drone that Uses Sonar and 4K Video to Catch Fish

Post by Cal » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:25 pm

It was just a matter time before the drones conquered the seas and this CES PowerVision, a robotics company and maker of consumer drones, introduced the PowerRay submersible at CES 2017 in Las Vegas. The company boldly states that the PowerRay underwater robot brings “ground-breaking features designed to revolutionize freshwater, saltwater, or ice fishing for today’s recreational fishing enthusiasts and casual hobbyists.”

Complete Article: http://tackletour.com/previewpowerraydrone.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

jtgibso1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Fishing Drones Have Arrived: The Ludicrous PowerRay, a Fishing Drone that Uses Sonar and 4K Video to Catch Fish

Post by jtgibso1 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:13 pm

interesting gadget for sure, but i'll stick to my "conventional" methods!

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Fishing Drones Have Arrived: The Ludicrous PowerRay, a Fishing Drone that Uses Sonar and 4K Video to Catch Fish

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:12 am

I wonder how many thousands of dollars this will cost.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:33 am

It truly turns fishing into a video game.
Not my idea of fun.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:55 am

Just knocked a peg off the board, guys... This is not sporting and has no place within it.
:evil:
PEACE

fati
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fati » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:36 am

Fun gadget, but no thanks !

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:40 am

:-k :lol: [-( [-X

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:59 am

I would echo the above...not for me, ever

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:05 am

When I saw this at the show the first thing I thought was exactly what I repeated in the video "can you really call this fishing?" There is no doubt that drones are going to become more prevalent in the water too but it was interesting that PowerVision decided to target anglers specifically. Not sure how many anglers will be interested in having a drone so embedded in the "fishing" experience, and I think a lot of anglers get out into nature as a way to disconnect from their daily lives and tech, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:43 am

Zander wrote:When I saw this at the show the first thing I thought was exactly what I repeated in the video "can you really call this fishing?" There is no doubt that drones are going to become more prevalent in the water too but it was interesting that PowerVision decided to target anglers specifically. Not sure how many anglers will be interested in having a drone so embedded in the "fishing" experience, and I think a lot of anglers get out into nature as a way to disconnect from their daily lives and tech, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
I know some of my fishing/duck hunter buddies who will have one word for those drones....Pull! [-X

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:36 am

Bottom line. How much? I would use something like this to explore underwater structure vs catching fish.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:54 pm

zodiak311 wrote:Bottom line. How much? I would use something like this to explore underwater structure vs catching fish.
I asked them the same question at the show and they said that they had not yet determined the launch MSRPs. A good reference may be their flying drone, the "PowerEgg" which retails for over $1,200. My guess is that the PowerRay will retail around the 1K price point for the base drone but will confirm if we can get any updated reference pricing closer to launch.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:56 pm

Zander wrote:
zodiak311 wrote:Bottom line. How much? I would use something like this to explore underwater structure vs catching fish.
I asked them the same question at the show and they said that they had not yet determined the launch MSRPs. A good reference may be their flying drone, the "PowerEgg" which retails for over $1,200. My guess is that the PowerRay will retail around the 1K price point for the base drone but will confirm if we can get any updated reference pricing closer to launch.
Is one of those on your wish list Zander?

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:50 pm

Exactly. I would NEVER use it to present a lure, but it would be awesome to use it to explore structure or get awesome video of fish in their natural environment. That really depends on the quality of the video it takes and how easy it is to control.

I could see In-shore/Near-shore guides having a lot of use for this. Would be useful for them to show their clients live video of the wreck they are fishing etc.

DaveJ