First Look Inside the New, all ALUMINUM Daiwa Steez A TW 1016 Baitcasting Reel

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:14 pm

Introduction: Over ten years ago, Daiwa introduced a product that brought an ease of style to the company and defined their flagship product line. The Steez has since gone through many iterations but none quite as impactful as that first 103H/103HL. In fact, one could argue that in recent years, the company had abandoned high end all together with their "all-in" strategy surrounding the success of their T-wing line guide innovation - not anymore.

Complete Article: http://tackletour.com/previewdaiwasteezatws.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: First Look Inside the New, all ALUMINUM Daiwa Steez A TW 1016 Baitcasting Reel

Post by BigG » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:39 am

A reel labeled Steez shouldn't have bushings, blasphemy. Appreciate the pre review Cal.
Last edited by BigG on Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: First Look Inside the New, all ALUMINUM Daiwa Steez A TW 1016 Baitcasting Reel

Post by zodiak311 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:54 am

Bushings a big no no for me. Ill take CRBB instead.
Not sure how I feel about this reel, its look are still growing on me...
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:47 am

It's just 4 handle bearings guys. Take it easy, you can swap those for less than tree fiddy. Plus you don't have to be a reel tech to do it. I have nothing but great things to say about the magnesium version. Finest reel I've used, absolute pleasure to fish with. The form factor is the best Daiwa has to date imo. What I don't like about this reel is the knobs. Still somewhat minor, this will cost more than tree fiddy, and I do find it a tad bit disgraceful to the Steez name. None the less, I'd have one already if not for the deep spool. I have no need for that, and strongly prefer SV spools.

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:23 am

Got mine today and have already switched the handle out. I will get it out this weekend to play with it. This is my first Steez since I normally am a saltwater fisherman I could not use the magnesium version. I will say that so far the real feels awesome. We will see what happens after a couple of outings on the water.
[url=http://www.yakangler.com][img]http://www.yakangler.com/images/stories/banners/YakAngler_Sunrise.png[/img][/url]

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:34 am

Redfish wrote:Got mine today and have already switched the handle out. I will get it out this weekend to play with it. This is my first Steez since I normally am a saltwater fisherman I could not use the magnesium version. I will say that so far the real feels awesome. We will see what happens after a couple of outings on the water.

Hi, what are your thoughts on the reel so far?

THanks,
Seb.

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:01 am

So far I love it. After some tweaking I get great distance using 1/4 to 1/2 ounce. The reel feels super smooth and handles fish like a champ. I primarily fish salty inshore water and have not gotten a big enough one to really put it to the test.
[url=http://www.yakangler.com][img]http://www.yakangler.com/images/stories/banners/YakAngler_Sunrise.png[/img][/url]

klondike1024
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by klondike1024 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:54 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:It's just 4 handle bearings guys. Take it easy, you can swap those for less than tree fiddy. Plus you don't have to be a reel tech to do it. I have nothing but great things to say about the magnesium version. Finest reel I've used, absolute pleasure to fish with. The form factor is the best Daiwa has to date imo. What I don't like about this reel is the knobs. Still somewhat minor, this will cost more than tree fiddy, and I do find it a tad bit disgraceful to the Steez name. None the less, I'd have one already if not for the deep spool. I have no need for that, and strongly prefer SV spools.
I have a similar sentiment to most of what you have said. I have a few fresh water Steez reels with tuned SV spools fitted and they work well.

For salt water use I would rather have the deep spool found in the Steez A TW 1016. I would also like to see how the reel holds up for others after heavy inshore use.