TackleTour Exclusive: On the Water with the New G.Loomis Conquest Rod Series

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:26 pm

Introduction: The only way to really experience just what a new rod has to offer is to use it, and we had the opportunity to not just check out but actually fish the new Conquest rods in advance of ICAST this year. These new premium rods combine much of what makes G.Loomis rods so popular among anglers, including proven actions and design, only this time it is merged with Shimano's latest blank technology to create a new series with some very interesting performance attributes and a unique character.

Complete Article: http://tackletour.com/previewgloomisconquestrods.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: TackleTour Exclusive: On the Water with the New G.Loomis Conquest Rod Series

Post by goldrod » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:33 pm

My initial thought about these rods is why would I choose this rod over the already expensive NRX line up? Is it that much more and
With megabass's newest line up of oorchi rods, or even the St croix, Daiwa AGS rods on both sides of the price point why spend more?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

fishes
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: TackleTour Exclusive: On the Water with the New G.Loomis Conquest Rod Series

Post by fishes » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:50 pm

do you guys know the weight of the respective models?

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:10 pm

Many thanks for the early look. I've been chomping at the bit to get a look at the spin lineup. Lengths, specs, handle etc. I am beyond pleased that an over 7' model is being offered (from a smallie freak). Can't wait to add the new 902s to the existing 852s, 872s, 901s and 902s (multiples in some) garage quiver. Moments ago I contacted my Loomis dealer and got my name at the top of the list on the new 902s. May as well add a new Sustain to the purchase. Early Christmas.

Thanks again, Travis
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:22 pm

fishes wrote:do you guys know the weight of the respective models?
The MBR783C Conquest rod weighs 3.8 ounces

The SJR902S Conquest weighs a scant 3.6 ounces
TravisNY wrote: Can't wait to add the new 902s to the existing 852s, 872s, 901s and 902s (multiples in some) garage quiver. Moments ago I contacted my Loomis dealer and got my name at the top of the list on the new 902s.
that's a real nice stick.
Cal, Managing Editor

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:08 pm

Thanks for the quick review. A lot of things to like, especially our guides and full cork handle. They come at steep price. I'll be waiting for the TT longer term reviews.

FrankTheRabbit
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankTheRabbit » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:43 pm

When Bantam1 mentioned that the rod will be assembled in the USA, it sounded like he was trying to assure the QC aspect of the rod. I've read quite a few NRX owners who felt QC was mediocre, at best. Sloppy epoxy, thread wraps not being tightly wrapped (my NRX exhibits this), rods being slightly curved, and the total breakdown of the reel seat. I probably would feel more assured if it was assembled by Shimano Japan. The Expride/Adrena/etc models seem to have better finishes.

I certainly hope that the fit and finish will be impeccable when paying for that kind of rod.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:56 pm

FrankTheRabbit wrote:When Bantam1 mentioned that the rod will be assembled in the USA, it sounded like he was trying to assure the QC aspect of the rod. I've read quite a few NRX owners who felt QC was mediocre, at best. Sloppy epoxy, thread wraps not being tightly wrapped (my NRX exhibits this), rods being slightly curved, and the total breakdown of the reel seat. I probably would feel more assured if it was assembled by Shimano Japan. The Expride/Adrena/etc models seem to have better finishes.

I certainly hope that the fit and finish will be impeccable when paying for that kind of rod.
Kinda hit the nail on the head for me. That's a lot of coin. Steeper than a hand crafted masterpiece of a custom.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:20 am

The design of the blanks look a lot like the Poison rods...
Definitely eager to hear more about them.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:25 am

Amazing looking rods. I am very confused though and embarrassed. I thought Bantam1 was a shorter Asian guy. Not sure where I got that from. I just assumed import tackle maybe he was overseas somewhere. That's what I get for fisherman stereotyping... Any friends I have overseas would really laugh at me now.

Either way, these will go on top of my wish list for ultimate setup rod. I would like to know more about the spinning versions.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:59 am

Would have liked a 7'6" Medium Fast casting for open area FAT IKA use.
From reading description the 903C 7'6" Medium Heavy might be too stout??

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:02 am

Cal -
Would you describe the blanks as having the familiar feel and look as the JDM Shimano / Jackall rods, with tapers and powers more in line with typical Shimano USDM rods?

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:47 am

10% lighter than NRX, yet the 783 weighs the same as my 843NRX?? A 10% reduction of weight from the NRX 843 would put the Conquest 843 at under 100grams. That's a big reduction, and if that's the case, can't wait to get one in my hands. Seems like it's probably just marketing though.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:42 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:Cal -
Would you describe the blanks as having the familiar feel and look as the JDM Shimano / Jackall rods, with tapers and powers more in line with typical Shimano USDM rods?
The tapers are all G.Loomis MBR/SJR ... the blanks are similar in appearance to the Shimano sticks because they're using Shimano technology to roll the blanks. But they're rolled according to G.Loomis specs. G.Loomis does not have the machinery in Washington to roll the blanks the way Shimano does in Japan hence the joint venture. These are not repurposed blanks.
JBcrankaddict wrote:10% lighter than NRX, yet the 783 weighs the same as my 843NRX?? A 10% reduction of weight from the NRX 843 would put the Conquest 843 at under 100grams.
The difference in weight is for the blanks, not the overall built rod. Unless the rods are built with the exact same components and grip, you're not going to see that difference on a scale.

Feel free to remain skeptical over these rods. I myself need more time with them and would love to see a one power in the spinning lineup. Perhaps they will eventually come. BUT there is something real and discernibly different in the way the rods perform. For one, they are much more crisp during a cast. Second, as Zander explained, when you have a fish at the end of the line, the power in these sticks is unreal. They shut off like an Extra-Fast taper. Plenty of people will be turned off because of the cost and will discount these rods as simply marketing hype. They're even going to claim we're biased in our coverage and reviews of these sticks too.

TT has hardened me. I'm always skeptical of new products too, but that's why we fish everything we write up. People still don't believe us - too bad. There's a real benefit to these sticks. Now, whether that benefit is worth the coin, that's for each individual to decide for themselves. But for those whom cost is not an issue yet still remain skeptical, well those people are going to miss out - plain and simple.
Cal, Managing Editor

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:54 pm

Cal,

Have you ever fished Shimano Poison Ultima, 2016 Poison Glorious rods?
If yes, how are they similar in feeling to G.Loomis Conquest Rod Series?