Feed Your Enthusiast Soul : Conquest 842C MBR

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun May 26, 2019 11:11 pm

Introduction: Saving money and being practical with your tackle buying decisions is the responsible thing to do. Afterall, you really can catch the same fish with a $99 fishing rod as you can with an $800 one, right? Then why waste your hard earned cash on an overpriced piece of graphite? If you consider such a purchase a waste, well, then there really is no need to spend that extra coin. However, for those of us who need a little more intrigue and performance, sometimes, nothing feeds your soul as well as that enthusiast piece of tackle.

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewgloomis ... quest.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Feed Your Enthusiast Soul : Conquest 842C MBR

Post by wirinhar » Mon May 27, 2019 7:35 am

Great review and thank you so much!!!
WW

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon May 27, 2019 7:27 pm

I’ve heard the same thing about the conquest sensitivity being par at best with with the NRX. I’m not opposed to price but I’m still not convinced that the rod warrants the price.
I’ve also been told that they are more of a multipurpose rod and not tech specific. Megabass has seemed to perfect the multipurpose tech specific rods and this was Shimano’s feeble attempt to enter into that world. Thanks for the review
Awaiting more rod reviewing
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu May 30, 2019 1:40 pm

Sorry this response will be a mix of factual data and my own personal thoughts. This is not anything negative about Cal's review. Despite what people think I actually like the TT guys and have fished with them.

Once you get to that level it's hard for the human hand to notice increases in sensitivity, at least when they aren't super drastic changes. We measured it on a machine. The blank was designed to offer more strength and hook setting power while retaining high sensitivity. Once you get to that level of rod, the increases become vary small. Also a softer rod will never be as sensitive as a stiffer/more powerful rod. You have less rod blank bending and moving whilst moving a bottom contact lure. Drag a 3/8 oz jig with the same line using the 842 then do it with the 905. You will feel more with the 905.

I think we have been on the train of "lighter, more sensitive..." for too long and we are programmed to expect drastic improvements in the sensitivity departments. I have detected bites on 1/4 ounce jigs in 15-20 mph wind with 12# FC line using the 893C NRX. Braid makes it feel twice as sensitive.Line and stretch has a lot to do with rod feel also.

How much more sensitive can rods get to where we can notice the difference? Humans have many senses to work with and some may be stronger/more in tune than others. Like the blind person that has exceptional hearing for example. People that inspect parts for a living will have more acute vision usually.

Goals of rod sensitivity should be:

Detect and distinguish bottom type
Feel lure action
Feel the bite

I have watched bass inhale and exhale a jerkbait with 3 treble hooks on it and I couldn't set the hook because it happened so fast. I never felt it even though I watched it happen. Imagine how many times that can happen on the bottom, or when a lure falls. The most sensitive rod in the world would not have helped me. Reaction time might have helped. Just trying to put things into perspective.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu May 30, 2019 2:05 pm

Bantam1 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:40 pm
Despite what people think I actually like the TT guys and have fished with them.
:lol: :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri May 31, 2019 6:24 pm

I have the 842S SJR and I love it, I do wish there was a 841S SJR or a 901S SJR, I also have the 832C MBR and feel
that the Conquest is maybe a little more sensitive but the conquest defiantly has more power, at least it feels like it does.

@Cal do you like the Conquest over the GLX 842?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri May 31, 2019 10:44 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:24 pm
I have the 842S SJR and I love it, I do wish there was a 841S SJR or a 901S SJR, I also have the 832C MBR and feel
that the Conquest is maybe a little more sensitive but the conquest defiantly has more power, at least it feels like it does.

@Cal do you like the Conquest over the GLX 842?
I too, wish G.Loomis would make more 1 power rods ...

842 Conquest vs GLX .... tough call... the Conquest version is a little lighter and feels more durable so I think it edges the GLX out by a little. As with all things high end, incremental improvements equate to disproportionate increase in costs.
Cal, Managing Editor

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:29 am

I have had everything in the Loomis lineup from E6x to the Conquest. I still have a mix of NRX, GLX, and Conquest. The softer tips of the Conquests do take a little getting used to. If I was going somewhere and could only take two rods, I would take my Conquest 842s spinning rod and 843c casting rod. You could do most anything you want with those two rods. For me, I personally wouldn’t get a 842c. I like the Expride 6’10 medium for those applications. I also love the NRX 873CRR.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:23 pm

They should bring back their 8400 popper casting rod.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:06 pm

I understand the law of diminishing returns, but for this price range I was expecting more.
I'll stick to JDM, and for technique specific stuff my NRXs.

Nice review, it helped me save some coin for once! :lol:
Last edited by zodiak311 on Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:48 pm

zodiak311 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:06 pm
I understand the law of diminishing returns, but for this price range I was expecting for more.
What was you expecting?

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:19 am

I have a 10 year old MBR842 GLX, one of my favourite rods. I can fish it with 3/16oz jigheads + 3 inch shads, 1/2oz spinnerbaits, squarebills

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:44 pm

I too, wish G.Loomis would make more 1 power rods ...
I will cast a vote for that as well. If a Conquest spin were available in a 1 power or better yet Mag Light I would pre-order a couple tonight. I was hopeful one would be coming with the demise of of 901 NRX. Perhaps one day. Well done as always sir.
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:31 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:48 pm
zodiak311 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:06 pm
I understand the law of diminishing returns, but for this price range I was expecting for more.
What was you expecting?
Super Eiger Sensitivity
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:01 pm

I fished with an NRX 902S and Conquest 902S 'side-by-side' for more than a month and decided to sell the NRX and keep the Conquest for the following reasons:

Sensitivity: Likely the same between the two rods. The Conquest might have been a "hair" more sensitive, but not enough to be definitive. The perceived difference could have been "expectation".

Casting distance/accuracy: This is where the Conquest is superior. I used the same exact baits/techniques as used with the NRX. I was able to cast further and with better accuracy, when needed, with moderate effort.

Power/Fish Control: The Conquest felt more powerful than the NRX, maybe about one-half power more. After catching everything from 'dinks' to 5-6 lb fish, the Conquest appeared to handle the larger fish more easily.

I also replaced my NRX 852C with a Conquest 842C and my NRX 893C with a Conquest 903C after a similar comparison.
The Conquest 903C is now in comparison with a MB F5-75X Javelin.

Doc