Cast Control Unlike Any Other: 13 Fishing Launches the Innovative Z SLIDE Baitcaster

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cast Control Unlike Any Other: 13 Fishing Launches the Innovative Z SLIDE Baitcaster

Post by Cal » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:06 pm

Introduction: 13 Fishing is doing what the company is known for, pushing the boundaries of what anglers normally expect from their tackle, and in this case baitcasters. The innovative new Concept Z SLD challenges what anglers can expect from low-profile cast control systems with an innovative on-the-fly magnetic slider that is integrated right next to the spool itself.

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/preview13fish ... tzsld.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Cast Control Unlike Any Other: 13 Fishing Launches the Innovative Z SLIDE Baitcaster

Post by Tim Kelly » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:10 am

Looks like a great feature for catching your line on when you get a backlash. Hope it works better than it looks.

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cast Control Unlike Any Other: 13 Fishing Launches the Innovative Z SLIDE Baitcaster

Post by Zander » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:01 pm

Tim Kelly wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:10 am
Looks like a great feature for catching your line on when you get a backlash. Hope it works better than it looks.
That is a good point! I've spooled up the test reels and started casting with them yesterday. It hasn't happened yet but will definitely note that if it occurs during casting or when fishing in general. So far it has been pretty straightforward and can definitely feel, and see the effect, on various lure weights and distances.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:03 pm

How is this different from the dual braking that is found on most reels? Usually the linear mag portion is on the same side as the centrifugal. Moving it to the handle side just strikes me as a gimmick. At least it is different.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:11 pm

LowRange wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:03 pm
How is this different from the dual braking that is found on most reels? Usually the linear mag portion is on the same side as the centrifugal. Moving it to the handle side just strikes me as a gimmick. At least it is different.
The idea is you can make adjustments instantaneously - even while your lure is in flight. Not sure how practical that is, but in theory, it is quite intriguing.
Cal, Managing Editor

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:13 pm

Ah I see. A plastic dual brake reel from 13 fishing with their own twist. I wish there were ratings to these high carbon content plastics. I think Zaion is great of drag stars but makes for a loud and unrefined fishing reel when it is used as frame material. Is Zaion still near the top in terms of rigidity and strength to weight of these types of materials? I want to try another high carbon content plastic reel but the prices are way too high for what is a cost cutting material and manufacturing process and there is the worry in the back of my mind that the reel may be or get hollow feeling. That said I have a T3 MX on the way but it is was $58 before shipping and has aftermarket color parts on it,

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bass Junkie » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:21 pm

LowRange wrote:
This was one of my first impressions as well, in addition to getting line caught in it as mentioned earlier. I know that 13’s prerogative has always been to stand out and this is definitely different, but I don’t see it as innovative. I’m failing to see the gain. Additionally, the way they market it in the interview kind of reinforces this thought with me. I do not fish in all conditions or environments and I’m sure there’s casting situations I’ve never been in, but I’ve never needed to make an adjustment on my reel simply to pursue a fish I just saw feeding. I rarely even adjust for wind conditions, once I have a reel dialed in any minutia in the breaking profile comes from my thumb and is usually ( :lol: ) enough to make a seamless transition. The only time I run a different setting is when pitching, which is mentioned, but I’m almost always using a setup designated to that duty. I appreciate 13’s approach when addressing some of the improvements they (or their customers) thought would address issues they had with the previous generation, increasing durability in key areas. The braking just seems gimmicky while offering no distinct advantage. Plus, I feel like that location is going to lead to the setting being involuntarily adjusted from being on the deck. Obviously this is all speculation, and I’m sure a full review in time will tell the story.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:44 pm

I fail to see how making the reel out of plastic is going to be an improvement in durability over the previous gen.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:34 pm

Bass Junkie wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:21 pm
LowRange wrote:
This was one of my first impressions as well, in addition to getting line caught in it as mentioned earlier. I know that 13’s prerogative has always been to stand out and this is definitely different, but I don’t see it as innovative. I’m failing to see the gain. Additionally, the way they market it in the interview kind of reinforces this thought with me. I do not fish in all conditions or environments and I’m sure there’s casting situations I’ve never been in, but I’ve never needed to make an adjustment on my reel simply to pursue a fish I just saw feeding. I rarely even adjust for wind conditions, once I have a reel dialed in any minutia in the breaking profile comes from my thumb and is usually ( :lol: ) enough to make a seamless transition. The only time I run a different setting is when pitching, which is mentioned, but I’m almost always using a setup designated to that duty. I appreciate 13’s approach when addressing some of the improvements they (or their customers) thought would address issues they had with the previous generation, increasing durability in key areas. The braking just seems gimmicky while offering no distinct advantage. Plus, I feel like that location is going to lead to the setting being involuntarily adjusted from being on the deck. Obviously this is all speculation, and I’m sure a full review in time will tell the story.
Actually I do a lot of scrolling of the mag dial when fishing. I'll be palming the reel while standing on the casting deck looking for the next target and often scroll the dial up or down to place the bait in the ballpark of where I want it and use my thumb for pin point placement. If I am working docks with finesse baits like Ned rigs and wacky senkos I will scroll from max to non-max frequently as I skip and cast more normally as targets present themselves. Anytime I am picking apart cover I am all over that mag dial scrolling it up and down clicks between casts. I am set and forget for the most part on open water. I can see how this magnetic adjustment would allow an angler to adjust between casts while palming the reel. It is still in an odd spot though.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:39 am

The only time I touch my mag dial is when it's moved itself from where I set it due to Daiwa's daft placement of the dial, right where my hand rests, so it gets adjusted accidentally. :lol:

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:29 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:44 pm
I fail to see how making the reel out of plastic is going to be an improvement in durability over the previous gen.
Imagine a Ci4 Metanium, Bantam MGL or even dare I say it... ANTARES...

Brown paper bags sales would go through the roof...

Your absolutely right in what you said - marketing aside, its a cost & backwards step...

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:14 am

Slazmo wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:29 am

Imagine a Ci4 Metanium, ...
Shimano makes one... only it's called Chronarch ;)
Cal, Managing Editor

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:15 pm

Cal wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:14 am
Not the same reel though... They diverged that line years ago.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:20 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:15 pm
Cal wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:14 am
Not the same reel though... They diverged that line years ago.
Only because Metanium is now strictly Mg and Chronarch no longer has an Mg offering. I consider them the same still... well... until this generation of Metanium with the Bantam style body.
Cal, Managing Editor

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:06 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:29 am
LowRange wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:44 pm
Imagine a Ci4 Metanium, Bantam MGL or even dare I say it... ANTARES...

Brown paper bags sales would go through the roof...

Your absolutely right in what you said - marketing aside, its a cost & backwards step...
What are brown paper bag sales? Is this an Australian slang thing that is completely lost on other English speaking audiences like when you talk about "rooting" something?