Evergreen International Defines "IT" Again : The Orion OCSC-71H+ Black Rose

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:00 pm

Introduction: After Megabass, and to some extent Evergreen International began producing fishing rods for the US market, I paused my almost exclusive pursuit of JDM fishing rods. The original allure of these sticks was the craftsmanship and detailing each manufacturer put into the product along with the high grade of components and rod blanks. Unfortunately, I grew a little leery of the shorter lengths and sometimes more moderate tapers. Certainly there were a few models that warranted continued attention and I did my best to sample what I could, but the USDM alternatives managed to satiate most of my enthusiast drive.

With all that said, there's always been one spec JDM manufacturers, and really, specifically, Evergreen International flat out owned. That's the seven foot, one inch (7'-1") stick built to handle baits up to three ounces (3 oz) in weight. We're speaking, of course, of the legendary TKLC-71MHX Kaleido Super Stallion, but also the TKIC-71MH Kaleido Inspirare Super Stallion. The former is no longer being made and the latter is difficult, at best to source, but there is another. Evergreen International recently replaced their very popular Heracles series of rods with a new suite titled Orion. Within that constellation of stealthy new models sits a 7'-1" stick with similar specifications to the Super Stallion. Here's our look at the Orion OCSC-71H+ Black Rose.

Complete Article: http://tackletour.com/reviewevergreenor ... krose.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Evergreen International Defines "IT" Again : The Orion OCSC-71H+ Black Rose

Post by goldrod » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:28 pm

Good read, Great Review
Still digesting the content. Sooo many questions
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:22 am

Cal wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:00 pm

Introduction: After Megabass, and to some extent Evergreen International began producing fishing rods for the US market, I paused my almost exclusive pursuit of JDM fishing rods. The original allure of these sticks was the craftsmanship and detailing each manufacturer put into the product along with the high grade of components and rod blanks. Unfortunately, I grew a little leery of the shorter lengths and sometimes more moderate tapers. Certainly there were a few models that warranted continued attention and I did my best to sample what I could, but the USDM alternatives managed to satiate most of my enthusiast drive.

With all that said, there's always been one spec JDM manufacturers, and really, specifically, Evergreen International flat out owned. That's the seven foot, one inch (7'-1") stick built to handle baits up to three ounces (3 oz) in weight. We're speaking, of course, of the legendary TKLC-71MHX Kaleido Super Stallion, but also the TKIC-71MH Kaleido Inspirare Super Stallion. The former is no longer being made and the latter is difficult, at best to source, but there is another. Evergreen International recently replaced their very popular Heracles series of rods with a new suite titled Orion. Within that constellation of stealthy new models sits a 7'-1" stick with similar specifications to the Super Stallion. Here's our look at the Orion OCSC-71H+ Black Rose.

Complete Article: http://tackletour.com/reviewevergreenor ... krose.html
Hey cal, I really liked this review and am giving serious thought to tracking one of these rods down. Is there perhaps a more “accessible” rod you could compare the black rose’s power to? In my mind I’m thinking it may be like a slower Dobyns 736 or megabass perfect pitch...

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:24 am

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's a US manufacturer that makes this spec. You're going to have to go JDM. The one company that walks the line between JDM and USDM is Megabass of America because they make available much of the JDM sku. With that said, the P5 Tequilla Bacarrac is probably right in step with the Black Rose. I've not handled it, but Zander has it and uses it for small swimbaits.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:48 am

Sounds like a high end version of the Megabass Hyuga 72H. I LOVE that stick.

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:51 am

LowRange wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:48 am
Sad I never picked one of those up, always heard nothing but positive things. I do have a 64l Hyuga which performs well beyond its price point in my opinion.

I've got the wheels turning on the Black Rose, fingers crossed

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:55 am

LowRange wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:48 am
I will be sad as hell when my Hyuga 72H dies, but oh man it is going to be so much fun trying to find a rod to replace it. It was my gateway drug into "non-USDM" power/taper combos and was at the perfect pricepoint to take a chance on.