SpiderWire's 4-Strand Braid Offers a Stealthy Option for Fishing Through Vegetation

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

SpiderWire's 4-Strand Braid Offers a Stealthy Option for Fishing Through Vegetation

Post by Cal » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:03 pm

Introduction: Most of the time, when I'm fishing a braided line product, I opt for the eight (8) carrier options. These lines typically have a smooth finish which results in less noise through your guides. At least they do when compared to their four (4) carrier counterparts. But every now and then, I like to step back to a 4 carrier just to check things out. The subject of today's review is one such product. Here's our look at SpiderWire's 4 carrier Stealth Braid.

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewspiderwirestealth.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SpiderWire's 4-Strand Braid Offers a Stealthy Option for Fishing Through Vegetation

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:16 am

I personally had bad experience with Spiderwire but, good article.

I use 4 carrier with reels I know I will be sawing weeds. My punch setup doesnt because I was trying out that Seaguar Flippin Braid.

This goes that everything has its pros and cons....even mono.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SpiderWire's 4-Strand Braid Offers a Stealthy Option for Fishing Through Vegetation

Post by Zander » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:33 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:16 am

I use 4 carrier with reels I know I will be sawing weeds. My punch setup doesnt because I was trying out that Seaguar Flippin Braid.

This goes that everything has its pros and cons....even mono.
I agree with you Hobie. Haven't experienced any failures with the line but it isn't my favorite handling line. I also use 4 carrier primarily for pitching and punching, the latter of which I rarely do outside of the Delta occasionally. Seaguar is my personal go to and I love FX2.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:08 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Just curious, but bad experience in what way? I fish about half a dozen new lines every year for review and most hold up well. The majority of disappointing aspects primarily center around ratings and published diameters.
Cal, Managing Editor

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:24 pm

I had a bad experience with Spiderwire Stealth 4-carrier back in the day, as well. However, it turned out to be user error. I had what I thought were consecutive break-offs in the first outing with the line. I found out that the super slick coating, coupled with cutting the tag end very short actually caused the Palomar knot to slip and unravel. I went to a modified Uni knot and the line performed beautifully from that point forward.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:35 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:24 pm
I found out that the super slick coating, coupled with cutting the tag end very short actually caused the Palomar knot to slip and unravel. I went to a modified Uni knot and the line performed beautifully from that point forward.
I've heard of this issue with some braids and their coatings before but haven't experienced it. That'd certainly sour me and it actually has with some monofilaments in the past... super slick coating.
Cal, Managing Editor

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:20 pm

Cal wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:08 pm
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Just curious, but bad experience in what way? I fish about half a dozen new lines every year for review and most hold up well. The majority of disappointing aspects primarily center around ratings and published diameters.
I was unimpressed with a couple braids they made. One was an 8 carrier. That one was quick to fade (low on my priorities for a line) and would get some random breakoffs on a cast.

Second was a flurobraid (braid with FC core I believe). Was supposed to sink slightly (which it did). The issue was the line unraveling. I contacted Spiderwire customer service and they were great. Promptly sent me a new spool...just for it to happen again.

I like Sufix for my braided line but, I am not partial to any brand.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:12 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:20 pm
Promptly sent me a new spool...just for it to happen again.
Well that was unfortunate! :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor