Line Guide Binding on Worm Gear Steez 100HLA

Questions regarding an existing Daiwa product? Talk directly to an official representative from Daiwa!
Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Line Guide Binding on Worm Gear Steez 100HLA

Post by Teal101 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:43 pm

My Steez 100HLA has an issue that I can not solve. The line guide will bind and then skip on the worm gear when retrieving. It is random, happens under load and no load. It doesnt do it at any one spot. It doesnt make the reel unusable, but it makes it very frustrating to use. I posted this issue originally in the Maint. section and was told to replace the old worm gear and pawl as they were probably damaged or worn out and that is what caused the binding. Well $20 later I have a new worm gear and pawl in my Steez and the problem persists. Getting very frustrated at this point. I'm wondering what to replace next? The line guide assembly and the sleeve over the worm gear? After that, the entire line guide system will have been replaced. I'd hate to send it in to Daiwa, this is my most used reel and I do not really have a backup for it. When I installed the new worm gear/pawl last week I also installed 7:1 gears and carbontex drag. What say you Daiwa, what can I replace next to get my beloved Steez back in 100% functioning form? Thanks!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Line Guide Binding on Worm Gear Steez 100HLA

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:14 am

Are you positive that the sprocket on the shaft is properly installed and the teeth aren't damaged? If the pawl and worm gear went bad, it could have caused this as a secondary issue. It is made of nylon for a purpose. That purpose is that it will "give" to keep the line guide from catching your finger and injuring you if you leave your finger in the wrong place while palming it and retrieving. With it being so random like you stated, that is where I would begin. If that sprocket ceases to turn for any reason, the worm gear will stop.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:15 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:Are you positive that the sprocket on the shaft is properly installed and the teeth aren't damaged? If the pawl and worm gear went bad, it could have caused this as a secondary issue. It is made of nylon for a purpose. That purpose is that it will "give" to keep the line guide from catching your finger and injuring you if you leave your finger in the wrong place while palming it and retrieving. With it being so random like you stated, that is where I would begin. If that sprocket ceases to turn for any reason, the worm gear will stop.
The sprocket comes with the worm gear when you buy one from daiwa and is pre installed. In other words I have a new one. As of now I have to guide the line guide with my finger or it starts binding.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:40 pm

You misunderstood me. I'm referring to the sprocket on the main crank shaft, the one that meshes with and rotates that sprocket on the worm gear.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:10 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:You misunderstood me. I'm referring to the sprocket on the main crank shaft, the one that meshes with and rotates that sprocket on the worm gear.
Its brand new as well. Just got it in a 7:1 conversion. The stock one is ok too. No change. Thanks though!

Tavery5
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tavery5 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:22 pm

Seems like you have replaced most everything in that system. You should not be having this issue. The only thing I can think of that could possibly cause binding is a damaged or rough spot on the stabilizer bar that runs through the line guide and holds the face plate on. I know it's a long shot, but it would be easy to check and seems as though you have changed everything else. I would also take a second look at the pawl, it is possible that the crescent shaped piece of this was damaged somehow during shipping.

Hate this for you.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:31 pm

I've never taken a Steez apart, but is there a spring or washer that goes in the pawl holder that's missing? If there were it might not be being held into the worm gear properly? Check the schematic and make sure you aren't missing a part. Otherwise I agree with the previous poster, check the crescent part of the pawl carefully to see it's not got a corner knocked off it. You are very unlucky if you got sent a broken replacement.

Edit, just looked. Part 39. Is that present? http://www.daiwa.com/Documents/PartsDia ... Z100HA.pdf

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:27 am

Tavery5 wrote:Seems like you have replaced most everything in that system. You should not be having this issue. The only thing I can think of that could possibly cause binding is a damaged or rough spot on the stabilizer bar that runs through the line guide and holds the face plate on. I know it's a long shot, but it would be easy to check and seems as though you have changed everything else. I would also take a second look at the pawl, it is possible that the crescent shaped piece of this was damaged somehow during shipping.

Hate this for you.
Checked, one of the first items I looked at as its pretty easy to get to. It looks as though the line guide is almost too sloppy when running on the stabilizer bar and worm gear shield. Lots of play. Thanks.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:57 am

Tim Kelly wrote:I've never taken a Steez apart, but is there a spring or washer that goes in the pawl holder that's missing? If there were it might not be being held into the worm gear properly? Check the schematic and make sure you aren't missing a part. Otherwise I agree with the previous poster, check the crescent part of the pawl carefully to see it's not got a corner knocked off it. You are very unlucky if you got sent a broken replacement.

Edit, just looked. Part 39. Is that present? http://www.daiwa.com/Documents/PartsDia ... Z100HA.pdf
There is a washer that goes in there and it is present. Checked the pawl, all looks good. I replaced the washer last night with a thicker one I had and it seems to have cured the issue in my quick tests. I'll get it wet tonight and see if it truly fixed it. If not the next step is to buy a new lineguide part #37 and #36. I probably need to get #40 too as mine is getting chewed up from being removed all the time. That would be the entire assembly.

Mang
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mang » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:00 am

let me know how that washer is going for you. I too have this problem on my Steez EX. Mine works well with alot of grease on there. But soon when its starting to dry up. It will start sticking a bit. And like you say you need to assist it a bit with your fingers, at least mine I have to certain time.
Last edited by Mang on Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:23 am

Mang wrote:let me know how that washer is going for you. I too have this problem on my Steez EX. Mine works well with alot of grease on there. But soon when its starting to dry up a bit. It will start sticking a bit. And like you say you need to assist it a bit with your fingers, at least mine I have to certain time.
Will do. It is a M3 size flat washer. About twice as thick as the stock one. I tried it with the stock one and it is just too much force.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:06 am

I have used a plastic water bottle and cut a spacer out to fit under the cap. This has cured a sticking line guide for me in the past. Some water bottles are thicker than others, so experiment until you find plastic the correct thickness. LDPE works best. There will be a recycle symbol somewhere on the bottle with a "4" in the middle of the triangle. That #4 indicates it is made of "low-density polyethylene".

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:44 am

So adding the thicker washer seems to have worked. Only got an hour in tonight, but no issues at all. We'll see how it goes moving forward.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:37 am

Did some more testing Wednesday night. Problem is fixed. I landed a 2.83 and a 4.69 with no issues. The 2.83 had me buried in some grass, so much that I had to scale some trees down the shore to get on top of it and pull it up and out. Good stress test on the reel. The 4.69 put up a good fight pulling drag and putting me into some weeds. Lots of stress on the reel which usually led to binding later, no issues this time. Not sure why the stock washer was not working anymore, maybe the washer compressed into the levelwind cap and wasnt putting enough pressure on the pawl. Either way, it is fixed.

Again the washer I used was a M3 size flat washer available at most fastener stores. It is a small metric washer I use with my RC cars and it happened to fit perfect.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:32 am

Teal101 wrote:Did some more testing Wednesday night. Problem is fixed. I landed a 2.83 and a 4.69 with no issues. The 2.83 had me buried in some grass, so much that I had to scale some trees down the shore to get on top of it and pull it up and out. Good stress test on the reel. The 4.69 put up a good fight pulling drag and putting me into some weeds. Lots of stress on the reel which usually led to binding later, no issues this time. Not sure why the stock washer was not working anymore, maybe the washer compressed into the levelwind cap and wasnt putting enough pressure on the pawl. Either way, it is fixed.

Again the washer I used was a M3 size flat washer available at most fastener stores. It is a small metric washer I use with my RC cars and it happened to fit perfect.
Awesome, glad you got her back in service! =D>