Line Guide Binding on Worm Gear Steez 100HLA

Questions regarding an existing Daiwa product? Talk directly to an official representative from Daiwa!
Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Line Guide Binding on Worm Gear Steez 100HLA

Post by Teal101 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:04 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Teal101 wrote:Did some more testing Wednesday night. Problem is fixed. I landed a 2.83 and a 4.69 with no issues. The 2.83 had me buried in some grass, so much that I had to scale some trees down the shore to get on top of it and pull it up and out. Good stress test on the reel. The 4.69 put up a good fight pulling drag and putting me into some weeds. Lots of stress on the reel which usually led to binding later, no issues this time. Not sure why the stock washer was not working anymore, maybe the washer compressed into the levelwind cap and wasnt putting enough pressure on the pawl. Either way, it is fixed.

Again the washer I used was a M3 size flat washer available at most fastener stores. It is a small metric washer I use with my RC cars and it happened to fit perfect.
Awesome, glad you got her back in service! =D>
I spoke too soon. Issue is back, intermittent, but back.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:40 am

Try the mod I posted above. It is a bit of a pain to get the plastic cut just right and you will likely have to do it a few times with different thicknesses of plastic until you find the right thickness for your specific reel. With the plastic, it is more forgiving than metal washers and sort of cushions the pawl so it isn't pushing too hard and causing damage to the worm gear. You might even try 2 different plastic thicknesses together until you find a combination that works. I have done it several times with no reoccurring problems afterwards.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:Try the mod I posted above. It is a bit of a pain to get the plastic cut just right and you will likely have to do it a few times with different thicknesses of plastic until you find the right thickness for your specific reel. With the plastic, it is more forgiving than metal washers and sort of cushions the pawl so it isn't pushing too hard and causing damage to the worm gear. You might even try 2 different plastic thicknesses together until you find a combination that works. I have done it several times with no reoccurring problems afterwards.
I'll have to try it. Thinking of just upgrading the line guide to the Steez EX purple one and then filling the reel out with purple hedgehog parts. :mrgreen:

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:08 am

Teal101 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:Try the mod I posted above. It is a bit of a pain to get the plastic cut just right and you will likely have to do it a few times with different thicknesses of plastic until you find the right thickness for your specific reel. With the plastic, it is more forgiving than metal washers and sort of cushions the pawl so it isn't pushing too hard and causing damage to the worm gear. You might even try 2 different plastic thicknesses together until you find a combination that works. I have done it several times with no reoccurring problems afterwards.
I'll have to try it. Thinking of just upgrading the line guide to the Steez EX purple one and then filling the reel out with purple hedgehog parts. :mrgreen:
Good luck and keep us updated.