New Omen & Envy, both GREEN

Questions regarding an existing product from 13 Fishing? Talk directly to an official representative!
Slowly
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

New Omen & Envy, both GREEN

Post by Slowly » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:16 am

Hi 13 staff. Hope you doing fine.

Looking at all your green casting rods available, I noticed there is still space for a couple of models to be produced.

Both Omen and Envy, offer the same array of models, so in both series there is the same empty space. In the MH category they go from 6'8 MH to 7'2 MH to 7'7 MH, but in the Heavy category there's only one rod, an 8' H.

This means there is room for at least a couple of Heavy rated rods, which could be 7'3 H and 7'7 H.

Personally I'd love to see both new rods with the same or similar components (reel seat and butt cap) as their MH counterpart, because the reel seat, butt and foregrip on the 8' H seem too "trolling" for me...

Uses for these rods: targeting snooks, tarpon, bluefish, roosterfish, jacks, cobia and the list goes on.

regards,

Jorge Valerio

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New Omen & Envy, both GREEN

Post by 13Fishing » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:09 am

Jorge,

Thank you for the post, I agree...we definitely have some room to add a few models. We launched the Green series rods with the most popular actions, we wanted to make sure we could cover most inshore situations We are currently working on handful of new stuff including some Texas action baitcasters. Your observation is solid, and we could probably add another H model. Thank you for the feedback. The larger 8' models were designed to handle throwing baits at big Tarpon and Permit, and doing some light trolling for sailfish, kings, and Blackfin Tuna.

Matt
13 Fishing

Slowly wrote:Hi 13 staff. Hope you doing fine.

Looking at all your green casting rods available, I noticed there is still space for a couple of models to be produced.

Both Omen and Envy, offer the same array of models, so in both series there is the same empty space. In the MH category they go from 6'8 MH to 7'2 MH to 7'7 MH, but in the Heavy category there's only one rod, an 8' H.

This means there is room for at least a couple of Heavy rated rods, which could be 7'3 H and 7'7 H.

Personally I'd love to see both new rods with the same or similar components (reel seat and butt cap) as their MH counterpart, because the reel seat, butt and foregrip on the 8' H seem too "trolling" for me...

Uses for these rods: targeting snooks, tarpon, bluefish, roosterfish, jacks, cobia and the list goes on.

regards,

Jorge Valerio

Slowly
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Slowly » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:17 pm

Cheers! :D

Jorge.

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Thu May 15, 2014 7:40 am

Any plans to introduce a medium light baitcaster? Currently im using a 7'7" medium and its still a little stout for trout fishing here in texas. Im sure you know this but trout have pretty soft mouths and too much power tends to rip the hook out. I know I can adjust the drag but then if you hook a nice red your left trying to find the sweet spot to fight him while concentrating on landing him. That and I find the medium doesnt cast my go to lure very well which is a 1/16 jighead and a saltwater assassin paddle tail. Honestly I think your spinning blank would work well for what I believe to be a gap in your casting lineup.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Thu May 15, 2014 9:04 am

white84z wrote:Any plans to introduce a medium light baitcaster? Currently im using a 7'7" medium and its still a little stout for trout fishing here in texas. Im sure you know this but trout have pretty soft mouths and too much power tends to rip the hook out. I know I can adjust the drag but then if you hook a nice red your left trying to find the sweet spot to fight him while concentrating on landing him. That and I find the medium doesnt cast my go to lure very well which is a 1/16 jighead and a saltwater assassin paddle tail. Honestly I think your spinning blank would work well for what I believe to be a gap in your casting lineup.
There is a 6'10" ML casting rod in the freshwater Omen series. This is a limited rod built for the AU market but 13 brought some to the states. Got mine earlier this year and I use it for 3" senko, 4.5" roboworms (weightless), 1/8th crankbaits, 1/8th chatter baits, 1/8th finesse jigs, and 1/8th spinnerbaits. All I can say is for the money this rod is awesome.

wiscobassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wiscobassin » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:25 am

JWR075 wrote:
white84z wrote:Any plans to introduce a medium light baitcaster? Currently im using a 7'7" medium and its still a little stout for trout fishing here in texas. Im sure you know this but trout have pretty soft mouths and too much power tends to rip the hook out. I know I can adjust the drag but then if you hook a nice red your left trying to find the sweet spot to fight him while concentrating on landing him. That and I find the medium doesnt cast my go to lure very well which is a 1/16 jighead and a saltwater assassin paddle tail. Honestly I think your spinning blank would work well for what I believe to be a gap in your casting lineup.
There is a 6'10" ML casting rod in the freshwater Omen series. This is a limited rod built for the AU market but 13 brought some to the states. Got mine earlier this year and I use it for 3" senko, 4.5" roboworms (weightless), 1/8th crankbaits, 1/8th chatter baits, 1/8th finesse jigs, and 1/8th spinnerbaits. All I can say is for the money this rod is awesome.
Any chance you or anyone else could comment a bit on the tip and action of this rod? I currently have a 6'10" ML X fast St. Croix LTB and it is by far my favorite rod to fish. Naturally I have to have the OMEN 6'10" :D but convincing the wife of that is going to be the challenge.

The Croix transitions into the back bone so quickly it feels like a moderate action rod (a trait I’ve come to really enjoy) however it doesn't really equate to an Xfast (most likely due to the power) I am wondering how the OMEN stacks up to this?

Thank in advance.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:08 am

wiscobassin wrote: The Croix transitions into the back bone so quickly it feels like a moderate action rod (a trait I’ve come to really enjoy) however it doesn't really equate to an Xfast (most likely due to the power) I am wondering how the OMEN stacks up to this?

Thank in advance.
Your post doesn't really make sense...

How fast the rod shifts into backbone determines the action.

If it shifts into backbone very quickly, it is a faster action (fast or xfast most likely).
If it shifts into backbone slowly or farther down the blank, it is a slower action (slow, moderate, mod-fast).

From what I have seen, the St. Croix XF rods have the fastest XF available. Faster than daiwa rods even.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:32 am

I was thinking the same thing as Afrayedknot.

wiscobassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wiscobassin » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:49 am

Afrayedknot wrote:
wiscobassin wrote: The Croix transitions into the back bone so quickly it feels like a moderate action rod (a trait I’ve come to really enjoy) however it doesn't really equate to an Xfast (most likely due to the power) I am wondering how the OMEN stacks up to this?

Thank in advance.
Your post doesn't really make sense...

How fast the rod shifts into backbone determines the action.

If it shifts into backbone very quickly, it is a faster action (fast or xfast most likely).
If it shifts into backbone slowly or farther down the blank, it is a slower action (slow, moderate, mod-fast).

From what I have seen, the St. Croix XF rods have the fastest XF available. Faster than daiwa rods even.
You are both absolutely correct sorry for being off base with my first post.

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:59 am

JWR075 wrote:
The problem with that rod is the top end lure rating of 3/8. Another popular lure here is super spook jrs, and they weigh right in at 1/2 oz. I can only carry one rod when wading....

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:54 am

Guys,

Thank you for all the posts regarding lighter and more moderate actions. We will be introducing a 6'8" and 7'1" ML casting rod in both Omen Green and Envy Green for the Texas market. These models will have a significantly "less Fast" action than our current selection and are being tested by some of our guys on Texas Trout and Redfish right now.

Matt
13 Fishing

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:27 am

13Fishing wrote:Guys,

Thank you for all the posts regarding lighter and more moderate actions. We will be introducing a 6'8" and 7'1" ML casting rod in both Omen Green and Envy Green for the Texas market. These models will have a significantly "less Fast" action than our current selection and are being tested by some of our guys on Texas Trout and Redfish right now.

Matt
13 Fishing
Have I ever said you guys flat out rock! Any idea on an eta for us?

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:49 pm

These actions will be ready to go late in the year. We will be showing them off at ICAST, and then going into production as soon as we are finished field testing them. We have quite a few Texas and southern shops wanting these actions.

Matt
13 Fishing

white84z wrote:
13Fishing wrote:Guys,

Matt
13 Fishing
Have I ever said you guys flat out rock! Any idea on an eta for us?