Lefty Bonus?

Questions regarding an existing product from 13 Fishing? Talk directly to an official representative!
13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Lefty Bonus?

Post by 13Fishing » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:52 pm

Congoman,

The LH models you will see in early 2015 will be the A and C, and we can't wait to reward our Rabid Lefty anglers with some features that will make the RH anglers jealous. LH models are still in Beta testing....more to come soon.

Unfortunately the bad news is that we are not currently planning on building a LH model in either the E or KP.

Matt
13 Fishing

Congoman775 wrote:Lefty Q from the guys at 13…. Will the concept E receive a lefty model ?

overdose
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by overdose » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:33 am

13Fishing wrote:Congoman,

The LH models you will see in early 2015 will be the A and C, and we can't wait to reward our Rabid Lefty anglers with some features that will make the RH anglers jealous. LH models are still in Beta testing....more to come soon.

Unfortunately the bad news is that we are not currently planning on building a LH model in either the E or KP.

Matt
13 Fishing

Congoman775 wrote:Lefty Q from the guys at 13…. Will the concept E receive a lefty model ?
how come 13 fishing is not planning to bring out the E or KP in a leftie? ](*,)

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:24 pm

Well guys I'm afraid Bantam answered this in the Shimano forum. Proven not to sell enough units to justify the cost of production. I hate hearing it, but a great reminder it's about making money all the time, every time.

I have to say again that 13 Fishing is going all in and seems to be making it happen. If you asked me if a rod/reel company could make it's way to the hearts of TT (and the world) with genuine excitement, and the quality was enough to take market share from the Big 2 I would have said it can't happen. It sure seems to be happening. Thanks for the great TT customer service 13 Fishing!!

Rick

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:25 pm

karirick wrote:Well guys I'm afraid Bantam answered this in the Shimano forum. Proven not to sell enough units to justify the cost of production. I hate hearing it, but a great reminder it's about making money all the time, every time.

I have to say again that 13 Fishing is going all in and seems to be making it happen. If you asked me if a rod/reel company could make it's way to the hearts of TT (and the world) with genuine excitement, and the quality was enough to take market share from the Big 2 I would have said it can't happen. It sure seems to be happening. Thanks for the great TT customer service 13 Fishing!!

Rick
...must be a matter of tooling costs for the proprietary external design, I always though a left handed reel was a mirror image of a RH hence it's a case of click mirror and pick up the phone to Korea.

What I don't understand is given the majority of humans are right handed, shouldn't the reels in the finesse category like KP or techniques where the baits worked by the rod be set in LH and heavier, deep spooled reels be right handed for cranks?

Congoman775
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Congoman775 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:36 am

Martin Lo wrote:
karirick wrote:Well guys I'm afraid Bantam answered this in the Shimano forum. Proven not to sell enough units to justify the cost of production. I hate hearing it, but a great reminder it's about making money all the time, every time.

Rick
...must be a matter of tooling costs for the proprietary external design, I always though a left handed reel was a mirror image of a RH hence it's a case of click mirror and pick up the phone to Korea.

What I don't understand is given the majority of humans are right handed, shouldn't the reels in the finesse category like KP or techniques where the baits worked by the rod be set in LH and heavier, deep spooled reels be right handed for cranks?

That's how I've always done it… especially fishing inshore. The "what if" factor in a lake is, what, a 10lb bass? Fishing saltwater can hook you up with some real monsters out of no where. Pays to keep the rod in your dominant hand.

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:36 am

Congoman775 wrote:
Martin Lo wrote:

Rick

That's how I've always done it… especially fishing inshore. The "what if" factor in a lake is, what, a 10lb bass? Fishing saltwater can hook you up with some real monsters out of no where. Pays to keep the rod in your dominant hand.
I was thinking more about keeping the dominant hand on working the bait e.g cranking and have the hand on the rod for say, shaky heads....

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:08 pm

The right hand vs. left hand debate rages on and on.... many areas of the word use a higher percentage of LH vs. right hand reels, the biggest obstacle is the biggest tackle market for low-profile baitcasters(USA) sells predominately RH reels. This makes producing LH models for smaller international markets difficult and more of a gamble. The investment in engineering and tooling costs needs to be justified by enough sales to make the project viable.

Our team got a giggle out of the "pick up the phone and call Korea" comment about building a "lefty" reel. Its not as simple as just mirroring the RH model. Just the engineering on LH gears alone is a huge huge project.

To all the leftys out there, we would like to say thank you for all the email...we are working on a incredible version of the Concept reels for you.

Matt
13 Fishing

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:25 pm

So in the US anglers predominately wind RH for baitcasters and Left hand for spin reels?? Go figure. How did it wind up like that?

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:13 am

Martin,

Yes. I have no idea why....I don't think anybody does. We have bred three generations of anglers who cast and then switch hands. Perhaps when we embrace soccer and the metric system we can get this sorted out...lol.

Matt(one of the guys who casts and switches the rod into the other hand.)
13 Fishing

Martin Lo wrote:So in the US anglers predominately wind RH for baitcasters and Left hand for spin reels?? Go figure. How did it wind up like that?

Crappielimits
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Crappielimits » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:01 am

I am right handed and live in the US. I can fish both ways. I prefer a left handed bait caster as it makes you a better fisherman and is a true righty reel. I don't know a single lefty who fishes a lefty reel. I will test those reels if needed let me know.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:29 am

After seeing 13's presence at Icast I am thoroughly impressed with what they are offering. Cannot wait to get my hands on one to even fiddle around with it, let alone fish it. Just have to wait for the lefty :whistle:

Will they be available in all the gear ratios like the righties? That concept E is one sexy reel :mrgreen:

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:20 pm

Teal,

We are working on A and C models in LH first, haven't finalized gear ratios available yet....will announce soon.

Matt
13 Fishing
Teal101 wrote:After seeing 13's presence at Icast I am thoroughly impressed with what they are offering. Cannot wait to get my hands on one to even fiddle around with it, let alone fish it. Just have to wait for the lefty :whistle:

Will they be available in all the gear ratios like the righties? That concept E is one sexy reel :mrgreen:

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:00 pm

Sexy..C. Have you seen the Trick Shop article? Leftie or no, OEM or not... BRAVO!!! Those reels look stunning.
Matt it reminds me of skateboarding days...congrats!

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:19 am

13Fishing wrote:Teal,

We are working on A and C models in LH first, haven't finalized gear ratios available yet....will announce soon.

Matt
13 Fishing
Teal101 wrote:After seeing 13's presence at Icast I am thoroughly impressed with what they are offering. Cannot wait to get my hands on one to even fiddle around with it, let alone fish it. Just have to wait for the lefty :whistle:

Thanks for the update Matt.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:40 am

Martin Lo wrote:So in the US anglers predominately wind RH for baitcasters and Left hand for spin reels?? Go figure. How did it wind up like that?
not quite sure how, but i'm 1 of those weirdos lol. right side casters/left side spinners feels natural to me.