Concept A question...

Questions regarding an existing product from 13 Fishing? Talk directly to an official representative!
SBKsweet
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Concept A question...

Post by SBKsweet » Wed May 21, 2014 7:00 am

Hey guys I have the Concept A 8:1.1 reel. I was using it the other weekend and I went to make a cast then heard a weird noise and my lure stopped all of a sudden, somehow it didn't backlash either. Now when I go to cast it makes like a wining noise everytime. Everything still seems to cast as far and normal just a strange noise as your casting. It almost sounds like your throwing the Calais 200DC. Any clue to what this may be?

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Concept A question...

Post by vinnieb729 » Wed May 21, 2014 7:43 am

Did you check the centrifugal brakes, that'd be my first guess. Did you pop the spool and bearings out and check for any foreign material...maybe something worked its way between the spool and frame or the bearings.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Wed May 21, 2014 9:43 am

When the lure stopped all of a sudden, was it at the very beginning of the cast or in the middle of it?

SBKsweet
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SBKsweet » Wed May 21, 2014 11:24 am

I did a quick disassemble and everything looked in place. I'll try moving the brake settings then casting. I didn't think of that.
Afrayedknot wrote:When the lure stopped all of a sudden, was it at the very beginning of the cast or in the middle of it?
If I remember right it was beginning.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Wed May 21, 2014 12:03 pm

I am guessing you didn't press down the thumb bar by accident, and the spool pin caught on the pinion gear.

Did it make a noise that sounded like a click when it stopped at the beginning of the cast?

I would take the spool out and examine it. The spool pin might be bent or dinged, or the pinion gear is deformed. This will probably cost less than 10-15 to fix so it could be worse.

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Concept A answer

Post by 13Fishing » Wed May 21, 2014 1:40 pm

SBK,

Hmmmm...this is pretty tough to diagnose with your note. I'm guessing the thumb bar wasn't clicked all the way down when you casted it and it just re-engaged half way thru the cast.

I don't think the noise is related, that sure sounds like a dry bearing or something...have you tried adding one drop of oil to the spool bearing? This might just quiet that down and solve the problem.

Anyway...we are certainly here to help, give us a ring tomorrow at 800-508-6013. Or, if you want us to give your reel a good look over send it in to us and we will make sure its perfect and send it back at no charge. If you prefer to contact us by email send a note to info@13fishing.com and we will get you fixed up.

Matt
13 Fishing
SBKsweet wrote:Hey guys I have the Concept A 8:1.1 reel. I was using it the other weekend and I went to make a cast then heard a weird noise and my lure stopped all of a sudden, somehow it didn't backlash either. Now when I go to cast it makes like a wining noise everytime. Everything still seems to cast as far and normal just a strange noise as your casting. It almost sounds like your throwing the Calais 200DC. Any clue to what this may be?

SBKsweet
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SBKsweet » Wed May 21, 2014 4:57 pm

13Fishing wrote:SBK,

Hmmmm...this is pretty tough to diagnose with your note. I'm guessing the thumb bar wasn't clicked all the way down when you casted it and it just re-engaged half way thru the cast.

I don't think the noise is related, that sure sounds like a dry bearing or something...have you tried adding one drop of oil to the spool bearing? This might just quiet that down and solve the problem.

Anyway...we are certainly here to help, give us a ring tomorrow at 800-508-6013. Or, if you want us to give your reel a good look over send it in to us and we will make sure its perfect and send it back at no charge. If you prefer to contact us by email send a note to info@13fishing.com and we will get you fixed up.

Matt
13 Fishing
SBKsweet wrote:Hey guys I have the Concept A 8:1.1 reel. I was using it the other weekend and I went to make a cast then heard a weird noise and my lure stopped all of a sudden, somehow it didn't backlash either. Now when I go to cast it makes like a wining noise everytime. Everything still seems to cast as far and normal just a strange noise as your casting. It almost sounds like your throwing the Calais 200DC. Any clue to what this may be?
I will try and drop some oil later today. Already pissed at myself for boogered the handle nut up a tad! I'll probably send it in if I can't figure it out. Sucks because I love the reel and plan on buying each of the concept models. I already have 3 black omens and looking for the 7'1" envy cranking rod. I use to be Shimano only, but yall have won me over!

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:03 am

Your reel was taken care of....I posted the update on the customer service thread in this "13 Fishing" forum.

Matt
13 Fishing

SBKsweet wrote:
13Fishing wrote:SBK,

Matt
13 Fishing
I will try and drop some oil later today. Already pissed at myself for boogered the handle nut up a tad! I'll probably send it in if I can't figure it out. Sucks because I love the reel and plan on buying each of the concept models. I already have 3 black omens and looking for the 7'1" envy cranking rod. I use to be Shimano only, but yall have won me over!

SBKsweet
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SBKsweet » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:31 am

[quote="13Fishing"]Your reel was taken care of....I posted the update on the customer service thread in this "13 Fishing" forum.

Matt
13 Fishing

[quote="SBKsweet"]

Awesome! Thanks for the stickers and the reel is like new again! \:D/

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:12 am

We aim to please!! Glad you are happy with our service.

Matt
13 Fishing
SBKsweet wrote:
13Fishing wrote:Your reel was taken care of....I posted the update on the customer service thread in this "13 Fishing" forum.

Matt
13 Fishing

SBKsweet wrote:

Awesome! Thanks for the stickers and the reel is like new again! \:D/