Boyd Duckett talks about his Classic win and the Revo's...

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Bass Pro
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Boyd Duckett talks about his Classic win and the Revo's...

Post by Bass Pro » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:50 am

Pretty interesting concept that he has by using a crankbait much like a jig.

www.abu-garcia.com/community_news_artic ... d=1771&o=0

frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Boyd Duckett talks about his Classic win and the Revo's.

Post by frogpond11 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:34 pm

I've tried fishing a lipless crankbait similar to that before but it's never worked for me. But then again, I haven't fished a lipless crankbait a whole lot...so I may have not given it enough time. Most of my lipless crankbait fish have come from a moderate-fast retrieve.

I know he gets paid to say he loves his REVOs...but I know I love mine..and nobody is paying me anything...yet 8-)

Justin

Stringjam
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Stringjam » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:37 pm

"With the REVO, I was able to make flip after flip after flip and the reel was accurate, lightweight, comfortable and easy to hold. Once I hooked these big fish, the REVO was plenty tough enough to drag them out of some pretty thick cover."

Reels aren't accurate, and reels don't drag fish out of cover - - I like Boyd, and he seems like a really cool guy, but sometimes these marketing speeches get a little too cheesy... ;) ;)

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:51 pm

I like the "comfortable and easy to hold," but lightweight and accurate come on now. :roll: I would say consistent, smooth and a beast of a drag before, accurate and lightweight (8.75ozs) and maybe balanced. :lol: All this Revo talk is making me :thinking: :evil22:
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

HeavyMetalBassinKing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HeavyMetalBassinKing » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:21 pm

I believe a reel does play a big part in accuracy...

So with that comment above you are saying that on the exact same rod an Abu Garcia 5500 C3 will cast just as accurately as an Abu Garcia REVO STX?
Or how about a Daiwa Procaster and a Daiwa Steez or Zillion?

I doubt that the Zillion and Revo will cast anything alike even...all reels cast a little differently (I mean by company and model) .. I imagine that the different braking systems and everything must play a big role in that

I'm no expert with mechanics of reels, but I've fished a fair share of them and no that none really cast quiet the same...

Sorry for the off topic statement...

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by D.R. » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:00 pm

Skeeter,

Please don't knock it until you try it. I gave up all my low profiles for the Revos the first time I used one.

D.R.
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle

Stringjam
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Stringjam » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:03 pm

HeavyMetalBassinKing wrote: So with that comment above you are saying that on the exact same rod an Abu Garcia 5500 C3 will cast just as accurately as an Abu Garcia REVO STX?
Or how about a Daiwa Procaster and a Daiwa Steez or Zillion?

Yes. :D Accuracy is in the hands.

I bought my first baitcast combo when I was 14 - - it was a plastic Abu Garcia nameless reel on some 6' no-name rod from Wal-Mart.....but for the next few years I spent hours, every day, standing on the porch of my parents house pitching to cups I had placed all over the yard. I could eventually nail them.

As the level of gear improved, the ease with which targets could be reached, and distance improved, but the mechanics of being accurate weren't inherent in the reel.

So I guess in that sense - - yes, accuracy can be improved from a junk reel to a high end reel.

However, in the instance of tournament level baitcasters (as would be the context for this article) - I can't imagine ANY reel from the bottom to the top of that range not being sufficient for pinpoint accuracy.

Denny Brauer was scraping willows at 25 yards with antiquated Daiwas long before there was ever a Steez. ;)
Last edited by Stringjam on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by frogpond11 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:11 pm

D.R. wrote:Skeeter,

Please don't knock it until you try it. I gave up all my low profiles for the Revos the first time I used one.

D.R.
Amen!

I know it sounds like "sensationalism"...but you've gotta fish 1 to know what we're talking about...

Justin

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:20 pm

I wasnt knocking the revo just the statement. ;) I might have to try a lefty since all Ive tried is my buddies Right Revo S which is not the STX I know, but it was a pretty nice reel as well.
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:29 pm

I think the revo is a big improvement in the way most abu-garcia reel feel ,but after having the revo sx for about a week ,I returned to the store it didn't pitch very well with a 3/8 oz casting plug and it didn't feel that refined to me.
Last edited by phatbass on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b23ball23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by b23ball23 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:33 pm

Reels aren't accurate, and reels don't drag fish out of cover
WHAT? !
Saying that a reel doesnt help drag fish out of cover is not a true statement!

With the Revo's 24/25lbs of drag pressure.....it can yank a fish out of heavy cover (thick grass with heavy braid...big fish...yadda yada) with a lot more force than a daiwa alphas and most other low profile reels with lighter drang pressure capability.

I have felt this first hand on the potomac river where flipping HEAVY grass is the way to get kicker fish (As seen when Kelly Jordan wont he event with his revo).

anyway..i just had to say that......

oh, I like my daiwa alphas more anyway ;)

Ben
E21 Fishing, HI-SEAS , Tru-Tungsten/ Picasso, Black Dog Bait Co., Secret Weapon Lures, Catching Concepts Crankbaits, Tournament Plastic Baits, JKruz Eyewear, Mackintosh Realtors, G3 Technologies

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:48 pm

huh what have I been missing for the past 20 years with my 5 lbs of drag (3lbs for a scorpion) or less flipping. :roll: 24lbs is sick, but ya dont need it to get bass out of heavy cover. ;)
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

Stringjam
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Stringjam » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:20 pm

I would like to see any typical bass fishing rod bent with 24 lbs. of drag pressure applied.

I think it would surprise most guys to find out what 5 or 6 lbs of pressure looks like on a typical bass fishing rod.

If I need more I'll use my thumb.......I pulled a 42 lb. flathead out of a cedar pile with my old Curado last year (50 lb. braid) without any problems (other than wincing the whole time while looking at my poor rod - waiting for it to snap.... ;) )

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:24 pm

Glad to see that Abu has created a Dark Horse that deserves its praise and may irk those that are not yet sold on its virtues.

Revo is a VERY GOOD reel...FOR THE $$$, IT IS THE BEST...just don't compare it to the best and the swallowing is a lot easier.

Put it this way, the Revo impressed me the first time I used a Pre-production STX 6.4:1 model last JUNE 2006...however, there will still be a place in my arsenal for my TDZ, Calais, Millionaires, Zillions, and soon Met MG.

The point is that there are a lot of excellent products out there, and adding the Revo into the mix just makes for better conversation AND allows for many to get into an excellent product in a much more affordable pricing range.

But it ain't the End All, Be All ;) ...just the best thing in a G@D Dang long time for Abu.
8-)

Stringjam
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Stringjam » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:37 am

dragon1 wrote:Glad to see that Abu has created a Dark Horse that deserves its praise and may irk those that are not yet sold on its virtues.

Just to clarify - I'm not knocking the reel a bit......shoot, I wish I had a dozen of them. :D I was just making a few comments about Boyd's statement. :D ;)