Boyd Duckett talks about his Classic win and the Revo's...

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
tj1004
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Boyd Duckett talks about his Classic win and the Revo's.

Post by tj1004 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:22 am

skeeterboy77 wrote:huh what have I been missing for the past 20 years with my 5 lbs of drag (3lbs for a scorpion) or less flipping. :roll: 24lbs is sick, but ya dont need it to get bass out of heavy cover. ;)
Maybe once you start having to drag BIG bass out of heavy cover you will get it. Flip some grass, then hook a 6 pounder, then lock down your 3-5 pounds of drag and watch it slip...then what? Your drag is maxed out and you cant get the fish in.

I too think a reel can help with accuracy. Yeah its all in the hands, but alot of it is in the reel too. In my hands a big round ABU isnt as accurate as the REVO when pitching and roll casting, I have both and that is my opinion.

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:34 am

hook a 6 pounder, then lock down your 3-5 pounds of drag and watch it slip...then what? Your drag is maxed out and you cant get the fish in.
That's why God gave us thumbs.

And besides a 5 pound drag will be able to apply more than 5 pounds pressure when you use a rod as a lever.

tj1004
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by tj1004 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:39 am

No, that's why God gave us reels with more than 5 pounds of drag pressure.

This point can be argued all day long but I wont do it. When you have your thumb on the spool after your drag is maxed out you still dont have any cranking power because the drag will still be slipping. So does that mean you do it like a deep sea angler? Reeling down then pulling up on the rod, then reeling down and pulling up? Why not just flip and pitch with a reel with strong drag?

frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by frogpond11 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:12 am

tj1004 wrote: Why not just flip and pitch with a reel with strong drag?
exactly 8-)

Old Bob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Old Bob » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:43 pm

Okay I have been reading all these posts and find them excellent. A question to those that own a Revo; Is there much of a difference between the SX and the STX models? $50 is $50, but in reading about the Revo's it seems only difference is the worm gear. Thanks. O yes I might just as well lend my two cents in regarding reels, I think the reel does have some to say about accuracy, but practice with any reel is necessary.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:52 pm

While I admire the Revos 20+lb drag pressure I dont think its as useful as most think. You only need so much drag presure. How many people actually use 20lb (or more) braid most the time (aside from me :lol: ) even with my 20lb test braid id only want a max of 10lbs of drag pressure. Unless your pulling in 7-8lb Largemouths consistantly which most of us arent you dont need all that drag pressure expecially when you consider most of everyone on here uses nothing more then 12lb test mono/fluoro and even the ones who are going out and catching them bucketmouths of that size alot of them are bringing their Lunas or Calcuttas. The thing that impresses me the most about the Revo is its quality, 10+1 bearings, and price. The 20 some lb drag is impressive in itself but is useless to most of the people on here that dont even use braid. This would be the perfect low-profile braid casting reel imo. :peace:

Scot
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Scot » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:18 pm

I can't remember who it was but somebody here posted pics of a trip where they were catching Sailfish with a Revo....that is AWESOME! A reel that is proficient catching LMB and then on to the Ocean for large game like that...that's pretty impressive if you ask me :lol:

fishing 247
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishing 247 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:23 pm

Old Bob wrote:Okay I have been reading all these posts and find them excellent. A question to those that own a Revo; Is there much of a difference between the SX and the STX models? $50 is $50, but in reading about the Revo's it seems only difference is the worm gear. Thanks. O yes I might just as well lend my two cents in regarding reels, I think the reel does have some to say about accuracy, but practice with any reel is necessary.
The STX is worth the extra $$ over the SX. I bought an STX and SX when they first came out and after a few test cast, I took the SX back and exchanged it for another STX. They (the STX) are smoother and cast better. Due to how the spool shaft is built on the STX, it outperforms the SX on pure distance and the ease of which it will cast. For the money, they STX has no equal.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:53 pm

fishing 247 wrote:
Old Bob wrote:Okay I have been reading all these posts and find them excellent. A question to those that own a Revo; Is there much of a difference between the SX and the STX models? $50 is $50, but in reading about the Revo's it seems only difference is the worm gear. Thanks. O yes I might just as well lend my two cents in regarding reels, I think the reel does have some to say about accuracy, but practice with any reel is necessary.
The STX is worth the extra $$ over the SX. I bought an STX and SX when they first came out and after a few test cast, I took the SX back and exchanged it for another STX. They (the STX) are smoother and cast better. Due to how the spool shaft is built on the STX, it outperforms the SX on pure distance and the ease of which it will cast. For the money, they STX has no equal.

The SX is no slouch.

nfocus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nfocus » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:48 pm

Having finally yielded and bought the Revo S to round out my collection of Revos, I personally believe at each price point you'll be hard pressed to find a better reel...and for the STX, well...it performs equal to, and better than, many reels costing way more than it does.

Without a doubt, they are the best bang for the buck on the market.

Now, if only there was a way to create a finesse version, but I'm sure there are some engineering obstacles in the way of that.

Old Bob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Old Bob » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:04 pm

Thank you guys for your answers, I have been a Curado guy for some time, but I think Schimino is starting to give it to the fisherman. They have priced me out of their market and all I have hearing about is the Revo. Funny when I started fishing Bass tournaments in the 70"s I used Abu-Garcia reels. I guess what goes around comes around. Thanks again

tj1004
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by tj1004 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:39 am

GAMEOVER wrote:While I admire the Revos 20+lb drag pressure I dont think its as useful as most think. You only need so much drag presure. How many people actually use 20lb (or more) braid most the time (aside from me :lol: ) even with my 20lb test braid id only want a max of 10lbs of drag pressure. Unless your pulling in 7-8lb Largemouths consistantly which most of us arent you dont need all that drag pressure expecially when you consider most of everyone on here uses nothing more then 12lb test mono/fluoro and even the ones who are going out and catching them bucketmouths of that size alot of them are bringing their Lunas or Calcuttas. The thing that impresses me the most about the Revo is its quality, 10+1 bearings, and price. The 20 some lb drag is impressive in itself but is useless to most of the people on here that dont even use braid. This would be the perfect low-profile braid casting reel imo. :peace:

Like Mattman says....."Its better to have and not need than to need and not have"

frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by frogpond11 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:49 am

tj1004 wrote: Like Mattman says....."Its better to have and not need than to need and not have"
That says it all.. 8-)