Who is not sold on the Revos?

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
babfish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Who is not sold on the Revos?

Post by babfish » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:05 pm

Who is not sold on the Revos? :roll: Just curious, let me hear your reasons why?

tikiman
Angler
Angler

Re: Who is not sold on the Revos?

Post by tikiman » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:21 pm

I love mine and i have the low end one. very smooth and light weight as well as low profile!!!

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:27 pm

I will start off by saying that I have not fished with one but did get to see one up close. I do not like the look of the reel and also do not like the handle, and star drag. Kinda makes the reel look cheap IMO.

fast2100
Angler
Angler

Post by fast2100 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:34 pm

I'm not,,,looks cheap,feels cheap,and time will show,,is cheap,,,bet 6 months of hard use and they will be showing why they cost $200.ABU didn't cut cost by cutting into their profit margin,,,if so ,some on here have called that "dumping".,,,,,,,,,,,oooooooh a terrible thing for some but not others. guess it depends on who your affiliated with

babfish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by babfish » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:54 pm

Just didn't want to be the only one :oops: . I for one know in my neck of the woods abu's reputation sucked especially in the salt. I just wonder how so many people who wouldn't buy a Tornos, all the sudden jumped on a new untested reel. I admit I was excited for them but I was really dissapointed when I picked one up, CHEAP looking and feeling. They remind me of Pfluegers. Chineese and mass produced does not set well with me. BTW there is nothing German or Sweedish in these reels. Not trying to be negative just not impressed. No wars please!

NCbigbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NCbigbass » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:58 pm

Well considering they were outsourced to Doyo or Daewoo in Korea, I predict they will begin to show problems and failures after 3-6 months of use. Not trying to start a war, I hope I am wrong but that is my prediction based on other manufacturers reels that were/are outsourced to Korean factories.

babfish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by babfish » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:00 pm

Daewoo eh? Aren't they a car manufactuer?

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:03 pm

The Revos seem ok to me. They dont make leftys in the speed I want so I havent bought one.

There are some opinions I respect a lot here on the forum that seemed to impressed with the Revo and that means a lot to me. But then again, I like the Pfluegers and have had them for some time. Those take a beating and still cast as well as the day I took them out of the box.

Time will tell.
If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.

NCbigbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NCbigbass » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:10 pm

Yes many Pfluegers, BPS, and now Revos are made by obscure companies in Korea no one has ever heard of like Doyo and Daewoo.

fast2100
Angler
Angler

Post by fast2100 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:17 pm

kbookert wrote:The Revos seem ok to me. They dont make leftys in the speed I want so I havent bought one.

There are some opinions I respect a lot here on the forum that seemed to impressed with the Revo and that means a lot to me. But then again, I like the Pfluegers and have had them for some time. Those take a beating and still cast as well as the day I took them out of the box.

Time will tell.
If you don't mind me asking,why do you respect those opinions?do you know them personally?do they make a living with rods and reels and have to depend on them or just tackle collectors that have spent so much money they consider themselves experts? no offense just curious why people consider themselves and others experts...please don't take this wrong. :peace: ,,,,,yes ,time will tell

babfish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by babfish » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:32 pm

We stopped carrying Pflueger because of so many inconstancies and many returns :cry: We have had 1 Revo SX come back so far, it was seized up for no apparent reason. Yes time will tell.

REW
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by REW » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:34 pm

babfish wrote:Daewoo eh? Aren't they a car manufactuer?
They are actually a conglomerate, sort of like Yamaha. Not only have they produced cars, but they have other divisions that have produced ships, electronics, heavy machinery, and even firearms (most notably the K2 rifle for the Korean military). They have even been involved in civil engineering in Korea. At a corporate level, they have had a lot of problems, and they took a big hit back in 99, I think.

Now, I don't know if they are actually the company producing these reels, or even if it would mean inferior durability. All I do know is that a year ago, if you were to mention paying 200 dollars for a low-profile, Asian-made Abu, people would scoff at the notion. Everyone seemed to have a really negative opinion of their durability, so it will be interesting to see how these fare in the long-run. That is the one reason why I haven't picked one up yet, despite being offered one for 15% below retail.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:38 pm

fast2100 wrote:If you don't mind me asking,why do you respect those opinions?
I don't mind you asking at all. I read almost all the posts on this site. I keep in mind that some people are really fond of particular products. But I can also compare their opinions with my experiences on the same products. I can easily tell when someone is just slinging bull or has a clue on a topic.
fast2100 wrote:do you know them personally?
Never met a one of them.
fast2100 wrote:do they make a living with rods and reels and have to depend on them or just tackle collectors that have spent so much money they consider themselves experts?

Not that I know of. Experience means a lot. People that make a living off of stuff like Pros, will endorse what they get paid to endorse. The consumer is the real pro when it comes to buying and using equipment. That is why I will listen more to someone that is not being paid to promote a product.

What kills me the most is when someone has an opinion on something that they have no knowledge of. Saying that a reel is good or not good with actually using it, just doesn't make sense to me. I have Pfluegers and like them a lot. I actually own 7 Pfluegers and they are sicking strong. I bought the President when they first came out and it still cast great, has a lot of boat rash, but is one of my main crankbait reels.

fast2100 wrote:no offense just curious why people consider themselves and others experts...please don't take this wrong. :peace: ,,,,,yes ,time will tell
No offense taken at all.
If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:04 pm

Well I ended up going with the Daiwa Zillion 100SHLA over the Revo, it would have been a lot closer if only the STX came in a lefty. Then again I know others who I respect very much (like D.R.) who know their stuff for sure and who have gotten quite a few of them. Im not too crazy for the looks of them the STX looks elegant though but the knobs/handle just look cheap to me but are indeed high-performance with I believe 4 bearings. I chose the Zillion over the Revo because it felt better in my hand when I put it on a Loomis rod that was at BPS and it was more comfortable to crank, I love the swept handle design, and I love Magforce Z. For 200 dollars the Revo will be a hard reel to beat.

I just wish some would stop acting like its the reel to end all reels or atleast stop the off the wall comments that its better then say a 500 dollar reel like mentioned in another thread.

In no way am I downing the Revo at all, it is what it is, and its a fine reel. I dont own one and dont know if I will ever at this time. The only other two reels I need that I dont have atm are the Steez and Pixy and id like a TD Ito but dont need it. I do need it help me!!!!:(

Jon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jon » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:34 pm

No lefty , no need to consider .

Jon .