SOL casting reel for cranks and spinners?

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Bass Pro
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

SOL casting reel for cranks and spinners?

Post by Bass Pro » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:15 pm

Has anyone been using the Daiwa Sol casting reel for small to medium cranks and spinnerbaits? I know that the SOL is primarily a finesse reel, but I am strangely drawn to its COLOR.

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SOL casting reel for cranks and spinners?

Post by raul » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Not the Sol but the Alphas and it´s great reel for shallow to mid depth cranks & spinners. Be careful OCD can be a killer since it comes, at least in my case, as a trend that shift from one color to another and then another and then another, right now I´m in the red stage.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:31 pm

I guess I'm lucky...my OCD has been fairly consistent. My Sol is a gr8 reel for small to medium cranks and spinners. I remain

Image on ORANGE.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:21 pm

Marc,

Your little guys crack me up!

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:58 pm

mhood wrote:I guess I'm lucky...my OCD has been fairly consistent. My Sol is a gr8 reel for small to medium cranks and spinners. I remain

Image on ORANGE.
Yeah, at least all your quest is limited to Pixies, Sols, Smaks, Conquests even though Conquests aren exactly orange but rich gold, I´ve had the green OCD and Curados appeared, then it was the gold OCD and the Chronarch SF appeared, then it was the burgundy OCD and the Scorpions appeared, then ( we don´t have silver ) it was time for the silver OCD and TDZs, Alphas Type F & Itö, Scorpion Mg, Chronarch Mg, Metanium XT appeared, then it was the red OCD and Pixies appeared :roll: ....... got any idea how difficult it is for my pocket to follow the OCD of the moment ? ~X(

BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFreak » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:05 pm

I've also been using the Sol's sister the Alphas for shallow to medium cranking.. Line capacity might be an issue once youve clipped a backlash or 2.. hehe..

Also be careful of the green/gold iridescent OCD.. (TD-ITO's and TD-ITO's 2506) much cheaper to see a shrink.. lolx

avid
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by avid » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:44 am

I find the magnetic cast control on the sol to be more finicky than any other Daiwa I own. For that reason, I tend not to use it for long casts.
I almost always have a senko, jig, or t rigged worm about the same weight as the senko tied on a MH Legend Elite. The sol gives me very nice smooth casts, with excellent accuracy. Since I upgraded the handle to a bearing supported TD-Z, I am a very happy camper.

tj1004
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by tj1004 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:55 pm

My Alphas F was a good reel for shallow to mids cranks, never threw a spinnerbait with one though

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:14 pm

I really like the Sol. Stock I really liked this reel and I didnt think I would like it til it was modded. This is a multi-purpose reel for me now but my plans for it are for it to make home on a new Megabass Shiryu as the perfect crankin setup.