Megabass Brigandage

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Megabass Brigandage

Post by reelblues » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:15 pm

My Brigandage just arrived today. All I can say is DAAAAAMN.

Momma, I see the light 8-)

:quiet: Of course, I opened it up here at work and immediately jammed the tip up into the light fixture. Ugh, you know, to check it out for tensile defects.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after"
Thoreau

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass Brigandage

Post by tonym » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:21 pm

Nice reelblues. 8-)
I have been coveting that slant bridge for a long time. :evil:
I think if I get another Megabass rod it will be a F4 ½-68XFti Jabberwock Evolution. 8-)
I wasn't impressed with the sensitivity of the Destroyer Hatchet that I had. :| , but other than that it was an incredible performer(weight, balance[like I've never seen], and of course bling to spare).

reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by reelblues » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:32 pm

Obviously I have not fished it yet, but it is SO balanced. That alone will make it a great rod as far as I'm concerned. As for sensitivity, to me, that is so subjective. I will know soon, and ya'll will have my 2 cents. But sitting here looking at it, picturing an ito on it, :D

Did I mention how balanced it was?
Thoreau

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:00 pm

reelblues wrote:Obviously I have not fished it yet, but it is SO balanced. That alone will make it a great rod as far as I'm concerned. As for sensitivity, to me, that is so subjective. I will know soon, and ya'll will have my 2 cents. But sitting here looking at it, picturing an ito on it, :D

Did I mention how balanced it was?
I agree on sensitivity being subjective no doubt.
The balance on these rods are unreal. You know when I first got mine I did the Masaki test and stood that sucker strait up on it's butt on my kitchen floor. Very impressive 8-) Even better when you get a reel on it and fish it and the Itö will look awesome on that stick. 8-) 8-)

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:47 pm

Throw a 1/4oz. Rat-L-Trap with the new rod and reel it in. Either you feel the vibrations or you don't. Nothing too subjective about that. :?

BTW: I don't feel the vibrations on my Jabber Evo FTi but feel them big time on my Daiko Burroughs and my Evergreen Steed. I don't feel the vibrations on a 1/8oz. Trap with the Daiko but the Steed still transmits the vibes.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:56 pm

mhood wrote: the Steed still transmits the vibes.
To much info Marc. :P
BlackRock Custom Fishing Rods.
http://www.brooklynbillstackleshop.com

Fishingelbow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishingelbow » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:19 pm

Tonym, Reelblues, could either (or both) of you give your definition of "balance"? What is the relation with the balance point given in the TT rod evaluations :?:

reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by reelblues » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:28 pm

tonym wrote:
mhood wrote: the Steed still transmits the vibes.
To much info Marc.

=))))
Thoreau

ferrysj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ferrysj » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:30 pm

I think it has to do with balancing the checkbook after such a purchase =))))

If you can still balance your checkbook, it was a good purchase. If not, then off to the WTS section. ;)

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:31 pm

Fishingelbow wrote:Tonym, Reelblues, could either (or both) of you give your definition of "balance"? What is the relation with the balance point given in the TT rod evaluations :?:
The balance point on the Hatchet(which is the only MB I have experience with)matched with a Daiwa Tierra was right 1" from the reel stem. So it was balanced right in front of the foot. It made the rod feel totally weightless.
BlackRock Custom Fishing Rods.
http://www.brooklynbillstackleshop.com

reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by reelblues » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:06 pm

Fishingelbow wrote:Tonym, Reelblues, could either (or both) of you give your definition of "balance"? What is the relation with the balance point given in the TT rod evaluations :?:
On to more serious matters. The balance point for TT reviews is how far away from some point on the reel seat the rod balances. i.e., 6",7", etc.

How that affects me, is how heavy it makes the rod feel tip heavy or bottom heavy. The less tip or bottom heavy it feels, the more balanced. I went out recently and checked each one of my most used rods, and realized they were almost all very tip heavy, except the St. Croix, which balanced well. Most were older, heavier rods. Even some of the new lite weight ones too. I went and pitched some, and took notice of my motion. With the very tip heavy rods, my arm motion changed a lot. I had to use a lot of "arm" to pitch. With a more balanced rod it took less effort, I could just use my wrist, not my elbow. I really think pitching unbalanced rods has given me the sore right elbow I have now.

The Brigandage with no reel on balanced right at the front of the reel seat. When I got home and put a reel on it, it balanced right on the reel, more or less. I didn't own a rod this balanced. I should be able to pitch a proper weight lure with just a flick of the wrist with this rod. I think. It is stiffer than anything I own.

For all the years I fished, how a proper balanced rod makes such a big difference, is the first thing I learned from TT. If you pitch a lot, get the most balanced rod you can. IMHO
Thoreau

ferrysj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ferrysj » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:25 am

reelblues:

I hope you did not mistake my attempt at some late night humor.

You have given an excellent explanation of balance. I would not have expected that much change in motion. When you also consider the "elbow" stress, makes you wonder why we would purchase a rod without slapping on the reel we want to use on it?

Maybe they do, but wouldn't it be nice if a manufacturer gave a suggested reel weight for that perfect balance without the use of additional weights.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:02 am

reelblues wrote:On to more serious matters. The balance point for TT reviews is how far away from some point on the reel seat the rod balances.
Measured from the centerline of the reel seat toward the tip of the rod.
Last edited by Cal on Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by reelblues » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:29 am

ferrysj wrote:reelblues:

I hope you did not mistake my attempt at some late night humor.

You have given an excellent explanation of balance. I would not have expected that much change in motion. When you also consider the "elbow" stress, makes you wonder why we would purchase a rod without slapping on the reel we want to use on it?

Maybe they do, but wouldn't it be nice if a manufacturer gave a suggested reel weight for that perfect balance without the use of additional weights.
you know I love late night humor. :D Unfortunately, humor comes from truth. :(
From now on, I will always take a reel to try on a rod. That is if I come out of my coma and go back to BPS. You know, I see I talk way too much late at night. I could have just said:

Balance good - arm good
Balance bad - arm bad
Thoreau

Fishingelbow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishingelbow » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:23 pm

Bottom line: if you value balance in a rod, avoid POODLE GRIPS at all cost :lol:
Seriously, while removing the foregrip will improve static balance, removing some cork from the rear grip will inevitably make the rod tip heavy, won't it?
And if you add weight at the very end of the handle to make up for the lost weight, you are increasing the rod's moment of inertia, which will mess up the dynamic balance.

My "fishing elbow" greatly appreciates the data on rods' balance point. One of the few objective, relevant and accurate aspects of rod description! And the measurement of said balance point for rods does not require anything special in terms of equipment - just some care and attention. So if the TT team were to set up a data base of various rods' balance point, I would gladly contribute the data for my own rods... :shock: